Do docs/clinics sometimes undersell on purpose?

One of the biggest complaints that I see on the forums is that people feel their HT is too thin. I feel that the amount of hair used in my HT was far too low and other docs agreed after seeking other opinions.

Is this some sort of tactic that clinics use in hope that you will quickly return to get more hair? That seems absurd and risky for business. It seems to happen so much I just thought that maybe this was something patients should consider. Perhaps it is just hindsight after a finished result.

I know during my consultation the representative constantly said stuff such as "and if you decide to do more down the road" ect. The whole time I was thinking...."why can't we just get it right the first time?"

What do you think?

It's hard to say. Some docs may undershoot to avoid shock loss. Others may do it because they are less skilled. Still others may see the pt as having a lot of loss in the future and want to be conservative.

If you are in your 30s the chances of u never wanting another procedure are pretty slim I think. My goal is to make it as long as possible.

Also, consider other docs like Dr. Rahal who does very dense packing and is usually successful. He takes some criticism for being too aggressive and using too many grafts at times.

I think different patients need different things.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

dr.'s skill in placing high number of grafts and history of getting a substantial yield totally dictates this

no matter who operates (even those who usually get high yields at high grafting sessions) the bottom line is:

less grafts per session

less risk

better yield

Depends on a number of factors.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

of course you would, makes sense.

You'd think not giving the patient what he needs first time would cost them as he would go elsewhere to get the job done, and would tell others of their unsatisfactory result.

I would agree with Sparker; there are many ethical clinics out there who can give you very dense, natural-looking results in only 1 session. Others may need two. The primary thing you should look for is honesty. I knew, even before my hair transplant, that I was going to need a second one in the future to cover future loss. If you go to a clinic that doesn't give you the results that you're looking for, go to a different one.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

The moron salesman at Norton told me that my scar would be as thin as the edge of a piece of paper! Would like to bump into him now.

HAHA that would be pretty impressive considering a piece of paper is about 0.1 mm thick

• 2 weeks later...
I was only 22 at the time so I believed them :(

Don't feel bad. This is a common sales tactic in the field and many of us have been burned on this false statement. We all believed it because we wanted to believe it so badly. Either way, we may have still proceeded knowing the real size of the scar, but we weren't able to make an informed decision and therefore will have a lot of pissed off feelings towards the clinic. What goes around comes around and people who have to lie to others to get a sale will likely get what's coming to them in due time since they will fall flat on their face in the business and their name and reputation will be permanently attached to their lies.

Luckily there are a lot of honest docs out there that will give you the full story and let you decide for yourself with all the facts.