Newbie basic questions please

Hi, I wonder if some of you more experienced guys and HT surgeons can answer a few questions.

This one is a weird one, but have to ask.

If I start using Regaine after a HT, what are the chances of it growing back new hair that tries to get out, under the newly transplanted hair. In other words, would it get stuck and cause a problem because hair has been transplanted over the area where old is trying to get out? Is this a possibility and has anyone ever heard of hair coming back to life from Minox, but can't get through due to the surgery?

Secondly, when I went for a consultation the surgeon said Minox would never grown new hair anyway, only keep what you have. Which contradicts all I've heard over the years because I've seen some people definitely grown hair back from Regaine?

I had no prep, just a price quoted and I was out in 10 minutes. No mention of how many grafts etc..

Is there any preparation, blood tests, test so you don't get shock loss, as I read about on another thread here, 'minituarisation'. No mention of starting meds. Don't fancy Propecia but thought they may mention taking Regaine or something to keep what hasn't fallen?

Is it quite hard to fill in front sections when loss it diffuse, as opposed to just planting in a crown area?

Do you have to take Anti Biotics after the surgery and if allergic, then what?

And also, I've seen a couple of people, and from what I can gather, the surgeons you see don't actually do it, they mark the areas and staff carry it out, Is that the norm?

TBH,

Minoxidil (Rogaine or Regaine) can be effective in both regenerating miniaturized follicles (those affected by hair loss) and preventing future loss. Because of this, it can create the appearance of restoring hair and prevent progressive hair loss. As far as regenerating hair in the exact areas where new follicles are implanted (therefore causing some sort of issue when both try to regrow): this doesn't really occur.

However, both minoxidil and finasteride are proven preventive hair loss medications, and most hair restoration physicians seem to recommend using both (in the absence of side effects).

Many physicians will complete some basic blood work before surgery. This is simply to make sure your levels are normal and you are medically stable for hair transplant surgery. However, the procedure is minimally invasive (from a surgical standpoint), so some doctors may not require the normal pre-surgical lab work/tests. Regardless, these tests would not provide any information about shock loss, and a miniaturization test would be more of a scalp examination performed under magnification.

The antibiotics are really up to the surgeon. Some physicians insist, while others don't seem to include antibiotics in their post-operative instructions. The most important thing to do is follow your clinic's post-operative instructions closely.

The hair transplant procedure itself is a very collaborative and team-based task. The procedure is divided up between the operating physician and his technicians, but the physician usually completely supervises (even during aspects of the procedure performed by the technicians).

I'm sorry to hear about the consultation. Do you have further questions? Did you already schedule the procedure? Do you feel ready and confident to move forward at this point in time? Most experts recommend extensive research and multiple consultations with trusted hair restoration physicians before moving forward. If you have any additional questions, please keep asking!

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Whoa.. where did you have your consultation (or lack of)?

Sounds like you should steer clear of wherever it was..

That's what worries me... Highly recommended too!

TBH,

Minoxidil (Rogaine or Regaine) can be effective in both regenerating miniaturized follicles (those affected by hair loss) and preventing future loss. Because of this, it can create the appearance of restoring hair and prevent progressive hair loss. As far as regenerating hair in the exact areas where new follicles are implanted (therefore causing some sort of issue when both try to regrow): this doesn't really occur.

However, both minoxidil and finasteride are proven preventive hair loss medications, and most hair restoration physicians seem to recommend using both (in the absence of side effects).

Many physicians will complete some basic blood work before surgery. This is simply to make sure your levels are normal and you are medically stable for hair transplant surgery. However, the procedure is minimally invasive (from a surgical standpoint), so some doctors may not require the normal pre-surgical lab work/tests. Regardless, these tests would not provide any information about shock loss, and a miniaturization test would be more of a scalp examination performed under magnification.

The antibiotics are really up to the surgeon. Some physicians insist, while others don't seem to include antibiotics in their post-operative instructions. The most important thing to do is follow your clinic's post-operative instructions closely.

The hair transplant procedure itself is a very collaborative and team-based task. The procedure is divided up between the operating physician and his technicians, but the physician usually completely supervises (even during aspects of the procedure performed by the technicians).

I'm sorry to hear about the consultation. Do you have further questions? Did you already schedule the procedure? Do you feel ready and confident to move forward at this point in time? Most experts recommend extensive research and multiple consultations with trusted hair restoration physicians before moving forward. If you have any additional questions, please keep asking!

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much for answering these questions. How would you go about with the miniaturization test, At my wits end as it is, hair falling so fast, and surgeon said 'up to you if you take something after', You can see I need to. Would rather just stick with the Regaine though if pos. I have an all over loss, more so at crown and then front became diffuse, working it's way back, which is why I asked how hard or easy to fill in hair on diffuse person, and was told could do front first then in a year come back for crown.

No magnifying glass over head either so how do they tell, regarding the test you mentioned. It was just make an appointment with my secretary and will fit you in this month. Nothing more than that. Other than I have good donor hair. But very worried no test prior and very little info. No figures of how many grafts either other than it would take 4 hours.

Please can you tell me what you mean by ' it can create the appearance of restoring hair'.

Do those fine baby hairs people mention never get any further than that, if you get regrowth?

Thanks again, I'm really worried about all this, and to barely get half or even a quarter out of what I need done too....

Edited by TBH

TBH,

Altogether, it seems like you may benefit from a second consultation with another physician. Nothing negative toward the physician who performed your first examination, but it does sound like you have additional questions and would like a second opinion and scalp examination. I'd highly recommend taking a look at the list I sent, and undergoing a second consultation.

My comment about "the appearance of restoring hair" means the following: hair follicles never truly die and disappear from the scalp. When hair loss occurs, these follicles shrink and produce smaller and smaller hairs until they essentially stop normal cycling or only produce very fine, nearly invisible hairs. Minoxidil, for reasons that aren't 100% apparent, is able to rejuvenate these follicles and allow them to cycle normally and produce regular hairs again. In this sense, Minoxidil is creating the appearance of restoring new hair. I say "creating the appearance" because no new follicle are actually created, but instead they are simply revived and restored to a more normal cycle.

Any other questions? I truly hope this is helping.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I had no prep, just a price quoted and I was out in 10 minutes. No mention of how many grafts etc..

This is what concerned me the most (aside from the minox explanation)..

All the consults I had, were very informative and covered every single question I asked. If you are worried about the techs doing the actual placement, just ask at the consult. No harm in asking about their experience, process etc..

You should feel 100% comfortable going into a hair transplant. If there is any shred of doubt with your particular surgeon, walk away.

Seems very strange that you did not have a prep, the surgeon needs to make sure that you are compatible for the procedure. It does sound as though you may need to go to another clinic, you explain what has happened, make sure you ask as many questions as possible, and you are satisfied with the answers. Definitely agree with efflux if you are experiencing any doubt you should walk away. Try not to worry, this issue can be resolved, unfortunately it appears it's just been down to an untrustworthy surgeon that has mislead you.

TBH,

Altogether, it seems like you may benefit from a second consultation with another physician. Nothing negative toward the physician who performed your first examination, but it does sound like you have additional questions and would like a second opinion and scalp examination. I'd highly recommend taking a look at the list I sent, and undergoing a second consultation.

My comment about "the appearance of restoring hair" means the following: hair follicles never truly die and disappear from the scalp. When hair loss occurs, these follicles shrink and produce smaller and smaller hairs until they essentially stop normal cycling or only produce very fine, nearly invisible hairs. Minoxidil, for reasons that aren't 100% apparent, is able to rejuvenate these follicles and allow them to cycle normally and produce regular hairs again. In this sense, Minoxidil is creating the appearance of restoring new hair. I say "creating the appearance" because no new follicle are actually created, but instead they are simply revived and restored to a more normal cycle.

Any other questions? I truly hope this is helping.

Thank you, which list, I have no PMs. Is Minox OK to put all over, if I do it now?

This is what concerned me the most (aside from the minox explanation)..

All the consults I had, were very informative and covered every single question I asked. If you are worried about the techs doing the actual placement, just ask at the consult. No harm in asking about their experience, process etc..

You should feel 100% comfortable going into a hair transplant. If there is any shred of doubt with your particular surgeon, walk away.

I PMd 2 people on here who saw same person and neither one has answered all week....?

Bit odd. Is it usual for techs to do it more so

Seems very strange that you did not have a prep, the surgeon needs to make sure that you are compatible for the procedure. It does sound as though you may need to go to another clinic, you explain what has happened, make sure you ask as many questions as possible, and you are satisfied with the answers. Definitely agree with efflux if you are experiencing any doubt you should walk away. Try not to worry, this issue can be resolved, unfortunately it appears it's just been down to an untrustworthy surgeon that has mislead you.

Thank you, It's not in my home country also, so would be travelling for it without any prior tests... concerned the 'team' would be doing it also. Was very highly recommended too.

If there are any in London who can be recommended would prefer that obviously?

TBH,

We all respond differently, but it turns out that I have no adverse reaction to propecia and I think it is helping me hold on to hair, even thicken it marginally. I stayed away from it for over ten years before finally trying, having gone from a NW 3 to a 5 in the meantime.

As for minox, I don't think the silts have been nearly as good. And it has been a pain in the rear area to be honest.

Both help the crown more thn the front.

Thank you, wasn't aware of Dr Reddy, when London is mentioned most people turn their noses up and say you have to travel for a good HT? His results looks quite good....

So Propecia helps hang on, but neither make much difference in growing. what if you put Minox on healthy hair, and hair that wasn't going to fall, or HT hair. Do you then become reliant on it, even the healthy hair?

• 2 weeks later...
TBH,

We all respond differently, but it turns out that I have no adverse reaction to propecia and I think it is helping me hold on to hair, even thicken it marginally. I stayed away from it for over ten years before finally trying, having gone from a NW 3 to a 5 in the meantime.

As for minox, I don't think the silts have been nearly as good. And it has been a pain in the rear area to be honest.

Both help the crown more thn the front.

Hey Scar, what did you mean about the minox comment, 'slits'?

I've seen people on youtube get really good results with Minox but understand that's not common when you're an all over diffuse....