Sleep apnea and HT

Birdness,

These are great questions for your hair transplant surgeon. I wouldn't think there'd be any issues with sleep apnea patients having a hair transplant nor would I think one would affect another. However, sleep apnea can be very serious and thus, I wouldn't recommend sleeping without the breathing device if you have one.

Not being too familiar with the way the mask sits on the scalp, I'm probably not the best one to answer this. However, as long as any part of the breathing device doesn't rub against the recipient area, your newly transplanted hair won't be affected. The donor area (whether you undergo strip harvesting or FUE) may be a bit tender for a couple of days. However, as long as the band or contraption that keeps the breathing device in place is carefully placed on the scalp and doesn't cause a lot of friction, I imagine it won't harm the donor area either, though it may add a little more discomfort.

Perhaps someone with more experience with sleep apnea and wearning the necessary breathing device will chime in. However, please do discuss these concerns with your operating surgeon before undergoing your procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill

birdness,

Well here we go. Yes I have sleep napea and went through four separate HT procedures. Although I had no idea that I had it for the first three procedures.

There is an alternative harness available that sleep napea patients can now wear. It actually delivers pressure through the nostrils only. The head gear has two straps. There is one that fits over the midscalp and the other rests below the occipital zone where most donor grafts are harvested. So the bottom strap should not interfere with the sutures or even the extraction sites if you have FUE. It is adjustable to fit.

There is also a chin strap that looks similar to one that is worn on football helmets. This helps greatly in holding the nostril ports in place.

You are probably use to using a full nose/mouth mask right? The problem with that is that the back strap is not adjustable to location. It is primarily used for adjusting tension.

Contact your pulmonologist and they should be able to supply you with the new harness and if you have medical insurance, it should be covered. Also try to go in and try one on before you purchase it.

It's going to seem a little weird at first until you get used to it. But at least you have your dilemma solved for the procedure and post-op period.

Best wishes to you on your upcoming procedure and sweet dreams to you! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

birdness,

Well here we go. Yes I have sleep napea and went through four separate HT procedures. Although I had no idea that I had it for the first three procedures.

There is an alternative harness available that sleep napea patients can now wear. It actually delivers pressure through the nostrils only. The head gear has two straps. There is one that fits over the midscalp and the other rests below the occipital zone where most donor grafts are harvested. So the bottom strap should not interfere with the sutures or even the extraction sites if you have FUE. It is adjustable to fit.

There is also a chin strap that looks similar to one that is worn on football helmets. This helps greatly in holding the nostril ports in place.

You are probably use to using a full nose/mouth mask right? The problem with that is that the back strap is not adjustable to location. It is primarily used for adjusting tension.

Contact your pulmonologist and they should be able to supply you with the new harness and if you have medical insurance, it should be covered. Also try to go in and try one on before you purchase it.

It's going to seem a little weird at first until you get used to it. But at least you have your dilemma solved for the procedure and post-op period.

Best wishes to you on your upcoming procedure and sweet dreams to you! ;)

Thanks. Any idea of the model or brand?????

The CPAP machine that I have is made by ResMed Corp. Their website is www.resmed.com and they have locations worldwide.

My machine has a built in humidifier and very quiet as compared to the older machines. It is more compact and comes with traveling case.

This nasal harness is an accessory that can be used with just about any CPAP machine because the outgoing port where the hose connects is of uniform size.

I think Phillips Corp makes them too but you may want to Google or Bing CPAP machines and accessories because you can probably find what you need online.

Hope it all works out for you. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Bird,

Just to echo what Bill stated: I would schedule a quick visit with your pulmonologist and discuss any temporary changes to your CPAP or BiPAP mask during the post-operative period.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.