propecia and inflamed nipple ouch!!!

alexjohnson

hey, been takain prop for about 9 weeks now and had no side effects untill now, my left nipple has become tendr and inflamed.... it is uncomfortable and does not look good!!! so was wondering if there was any supplements out there to counteract this? the word gyno, or geno nipple come to mind??? thanks for any help .

Alex,

Ouch!

I know breast tenderness, lumps, and nipple discharge have been reported as possible side effects of Propecia for hair loss.

As Propecia's website reports, you should report these or any other usual possible side effects with your doctor. You may have to stop taking finasteride if this remains a continued problem.

Best wishes,

Bill

Alexjohnson

I've been prescribing Propecia (finasteride) for several years and did have one patient who had breast tenderness and gynecomastia(enlarged breasts) after taking the Propecia. The patient elected to continue the medication, and if the problem continued, he was going to discontinue the medication. I do not know of any supplements to counteract this; if it continues to bother you, you may want to consider stopping the medication.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS, FISHRS

Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

Diplomate, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomate, American College of Surgeons

Gabel Hair Restoration Center

Portland, Oregon

503-693-1118

Email Dr. Gabel directly at drgabel@gabelcenter.com

Dr. Gabel's Website

Dr. Steven Gabel is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by alexjohnson:

hey, been takain prop for about 9 weeks now and had no side effects untill now, my left nipple has become tendr and inflamed.... it is uncomfortable and does not look good!!! so was wondering if there was any supplements out there to counteract this? the word gyno, or geno nipple come to mind??? thanks for any help .

I suggest you look into the supplement, Diindolylmethane, commonly called DIM. Dim is a phytonutrient derived from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage. Testing has found that is a potent hormone disrupter, being both a androgen receptor and estrogen agonist.

In basic terms DIM competes with DHT for the androgen receptor (good for hair and prostate) and also rebalances estrogen metabolism by converting estradiol to the more harmless estrone (good for estrogen dependent growths, ie gyno).

From my experience one of the most potent brands on the market is by Source Naturals. It is definitely worth a try in lieu of the more common anti-aromatase drugs commonly prescribed. Hope this helps.

I personally had this from week 3-5 and it resolved sponateously. But I had to wear a soft cotton t shirt under my dress shirts.

Was a "pain" but not as bad as that other side effect that made me quit propecia.

Fortunately Propecia works well for many folks and has very few and rare problems.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by alexjohnson:

thanks guys, sore nipple or bald?? hmmm id rather suffer with my nipple lol, anyway thanks john but this sup will in no way interupt with my prop regime right? thanks again

Absolutely no problem, infact it will help against hair loss by binding to the androgen receptors making it harder for the existing DHT to do so.

thanks everyone, any chance of a link that ships to uk,and is genuine thanks.......by the way as the prop caused this does that mean that continued intake will cause continued 'sore nipple (GYNO)', therefore DIM needs to be taken for as long as i induce prop?? thanks again. .....p.s only other side effect known is dry skin

Propecia reps tell me that the side effects are uncommon and over half go away in a few weeks while continuing the meds. Of course they have their own agenda as well.

For me, it took a month to go away.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians