Confused on the route to go after two FUT before being 21

I am new to this forum but have been reading quite a bit. I am 31 years old but started losing my hair around 17. I had two FUT at 19 and 20 at Bosley but my hair still needs some work. I am looking for any suggestions if someone thinks FUE or FUT is better for me. Also, I am looking at Dr. Shapiro, Dr. Umar and Dr. Feller as of right now. Any suggestions based on my pics? I am not concerned about price just want the best Dr and surgery for me..

5b32d8d039493_Picthree.jpg.3899b240c6fff55629badb4719f7b107.jpg

5b32d8d04fb69_Picone.jpg.7a6a34e9aa735c92003fcee194195a77.jpg

5b32d8d0624a8_Rightsideview.jpg.793c795136c0238c9d9eac1b6eaeec9e.jpg

5b32d8d076c9a_Leftsideview.jpg.febf2ced089940363668414c47c4dd96.jpg

5b32d8d09120e_Frontshot.jpg.29d50365f7de04535d54502cd084cc57.jpg

You have come to the right place. I suggest doing lots of research before a decion because afyer 2 fut surgeries, you wont have a plentiful donor anymore. What do you want achieved? New hairline? More density, thick midscalp? Etc

Thanks for the replies...

I had 1k the first time and 1200 the second time. Overall I am satisfied from those two procedures 10 plus years ago.

I would like to improve my hairline, add more density and thicken the midscalp area.

From what you guys can see would you recommend FUE or FUT? Also, any Dr. that you would recommend based on seeing my hair.

You already have a scar..save your money and go FUT. You might not also be a candidate for FUE since you've already have had 2 FUT's, I'd talk to a doctor on that one.

and slightly off topic...I think Bosley, even though they seemed to do a decent job, showed alack of ethics doing a HT on someone who wasnt 21 yet...

OK I will talk to a Dr. to see what they say.

However, my scar really isn't to bad at all and the least thing I am concerned about is money as this is the rest of my life. If a FUE in the end would be better I have no problem spending extra money so I just want to make the best decision.

The only thing I am worried about is talking to a Dr. that only does one or the other because obviously they would be biased to a certain degree.

If i were you i would max out your FUT then have another procedure a year or so later doing FUE to get the most our of your donor area. This is the same plan I have and it is with one of the surgeons you are considering. If you want more info PM me, I like to keep an unbiased thread going on this topic. Good Luck

You only live once...

ur a lucky guy considering you went to bosley and your out come was so good,, if u live in florida id check out dr glen charles , i think thats how you spell his name,, lol hes recommended on here and one of the very few good docs in florida, but if you wanna travel, hasson and wong

Normally when you hear that someone has had a HT at 19 and 20, you expect the absolute worst when they come back asking for help at 30+, but you actually look fine. The fact that your 2 hts totalled 2200 is also good in that 1.they actual seem to have been a relative success and 2. you should have a nice amount of FUT grafts remaining, particularly if you go to a top doc which you seem to be on course for.

Your concern about what clinic recommends what kind of procedure is a very valid one.

My suggestion: do an online consultation with 6-7 top clinics. Include about 3 composite clinics (clinics that do a relatively equal amount of FUT & FUE) in this, to get their opinion. Shapiro, Bisanga and Feriduni are the 3 that jump into my had straight away. Then you could send to clinics that are more concentrated on one technique, so Feller, Umar, Konior and H&W could come into this equation. EDIT: Just saw you live in FL, so like others mentioned, Dr Charles would be a great in-person consult to set up.

I did this a few months ago. I sent pics to clinics that realistically I knew I wouldn't be going to, but I respected the clinic and wanted their take on my situation. I then did multiple in-person consultations. With all of this information gathered, I was about as educated as I think I could have been about the whole thing.

My own take on your case: I reckon the fact that you already have a good scar from 2 Bosley procedures over a decade ago bodes very well for you, in that you would be in better hands this time around. This alone would make a lot of veterans quite envious of you!

Of course a lot depends on your goals, but I personally think you should try to max out your FUT grafts. You could potentially have several thousand left. Your donor characteristics look good. Then after maxing out FUT, you could tap into FUE after a few more years if necessary.

But.....go and get feedback from several top clinics......and share their thoughts with us! :)

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Don't forget the second option: do nothing. In 10 years you might be glad of what donor hair you have left rather than maxing out at 21.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Don't forget the second option: do nothing. In 10 years you might be glad of what donor hair you have left rather than maxing out at 21.

He is 31 Matt. If he went the FUT route, I don't think he'd be maxing out his donor. He would still have potentially 2-3k FUE grafts remaining down the road.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

Yeah I had no idea at the time as I was so young and just really depressed about my hair so Thank God they didn't screw me.

I have no problem traveling at all as I am right now in Colorado having surgery on my knee by Dr. Steadman. I rather travel and see the very best.

Arrie...I clicked on send a private message but then don't see anything from there. Do I have to have a certain amount of posts?

He is 31 Matt. If he went the FUT route, I don't think he'd be maxing out his donor. He would still have potentially 2-3k FUE grafts remaining down the road.

Cheers, I missed that bit!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Normally when you hear that someone has had a HT at 19 and 20, you expect the absolute worst when they come back asking for help at 30+, but you actually look fine. The fact that your 2 hts totalled 2200 is also good in that 1.they actual seem to have been a relative success and 2. you should have a nice amount of FUT grafts remaining, particularly if you go to a top doc which you seem to be on course for.

Your concern about what clinic recommends what kind of procedure is a very valid one.

My suggestion: do an online consultation with 6-7 top clinics. Include about 3 composite clinics (clinics that do a relatively equal amount of FUT & FUE) in this, to get their opinion. Shapiro, Bisanga and Feriduni are the 3 that jump into my had straight away. Then you could send to clinics that are more concentrated on one technique, so Feller, Umar, Konior and H&W could come into this equation. EDIT: Just saw you live in FL, so like others mentioned, Dr Charles would be a great in-person consult to set up.

I did this a few months ago. I sent pics to clinics that realistically I knew I wouldn't be going to, but I respected the clinic and wanted their take on my situation. I then did multiple in-person consultations. With all of this information gathered, I was about as educated as I think I could have been about the whole thing.

My own take on your case: I reckon the fact that you already have a good scar from 2 Bosley procedures over a decade ago bodes very well for you, in that you would be in better hands this time around. This alone would make a lot of veterans quite envious of you!

Of course a lot depends on your goals, but I personally think you should try to max out your FUT grafts. You could potentially have several thousand left. Your donor characteristics look good. Then after maxing out FUT, you could tap into FUE after a few more years if necessary.

But.....go and get feedback from several top clinics......and share their thoughts with us! :)

Thanks so much...I went ahead and finished some more online consultations so we will see what they have to say and I will let you know. Is there anymore Doctors you would recommend. I am now leaning towards doing a FUT since I do already have a scar then later on if needed doing followup work with FUE.

When I decide to proceed (if) I go the route of the FUT then who are the top 3 that you would suggest? Do you know how many grafts I would need approx.?

top fut docs in my opinion are feller, hasson and wong, and konior, many more but these are my fav,, and by the looks of it , and you ares till relatively young, id go with 2200-2500 grafts nothing 2 crazy, should have a very nice outcome

Thanks so much...I went ahead and finished some more online consultations so we will see what they have to say and I will let you know. Is there anymore Doctors you would recommend. I am now leaning towards doing a FUT since I do already have a scar then later on if needed doing followup work with FUE.

When I decide to proceed (if) I go the route of the FUT then who are the top 3 that you would suggest? Do you know how many grafts I would need approx.?

Happy to help.

Regarding number of grafts, this is entirely down to your goals. What areas do you want work in exactly? What do you want strengthened?

I'd agree with taco, somewhere around that mark would make a great difference with a top doc.

Regarding top 3.....again this is very subjective. I'm not really a fan of naming top x clinic in this technique etc as the whole thing boils down to different variables. In your case though we have a lot of info to work with...and to throw 3 docs at you as you requested that perform FUT I'd probably go Konior, Ron Shapiro and Feller.

The former can really work wonders with the kind of graft numbers we spoke about.

Current Regimen:

Happy to help.

Regarding number of grafts, this is entirely down to your goals. What areas do you want work in exactly? What do you want strengthened?

I'd agree with taco, somewhere around that mark would make a great difference with a top doc.

Regarding top 3.....again this is very subjective. I'm not really a fan of naming top x clinic in this technique etc as the whole thing boils down to different variables. In your case though we have a lot of info to work with...and to throw 3 docs at you as you requested that perform FUT I'd probably go Konior, Ron Shapiro and Feller.

The former can really work wonders with the kind of graft numbers we spoke about.

I would like to increase density, add some to my temples and make my hairline a little better. Also, I would like to add some to my crown. Sorry if some of the terminology I use isn't the best. I do like the fact that Dr. Shapiro does FUT and FUE.

Once I get all the recommendations from the Dr. s I have done a consult with am I allowed to post their suggestions on here?