New guy saying hello (and FUE is WAY better)

Louis73

(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong category)

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share my story. I'm 39 years old and just had 2000 neografts in the front (from hairline to crown). I had the surgery this past Wednesday (4-24-13) in Ponchatoula Louisiana.

When I was in my early 20s (in 1997, I think) I had a 'strip' transplant done while I was in the marines and stationed at Cherry Point. I had 250 grafts on my first procedure, and went back a few months later to get 500 more right behind my new hairline.

16 years later, the only hair I had on top of my head was the planted hair. Needless to say it was VERY thin. So I decided to get another transplant. And I must say, the FUE method was so much better. I always have a high and tight hair cut, so having my hair thinned out in the back of my head isn't a big deal to me. I plan on going back and getting my crown done in a few months from now. These pictures were taken right after I got home from surgery. You can see my scar from the strip transplant in the extraction photo.

Anyway, just wanted to share my story. I've taken a few days off work and I've been bored outta my mind, lol. My previous hair transplant was the best decision I ever made. I wish the FUE was around back then. I wouldn't have a scar if it was.

406444629.jpg

406444630.jpg

406444628.jpg

hello and welcome,, who did your first ht? did any of those hairs fall out? how long did it last you till you werent happy with it anymore?

Thanks for the welcome.

My first transplant was at a place called Jernigan's in Raleigh NC. I don't remember the doctor's name but it was his assistants that performed the procedures.

I was very happy with it (still am). If any of those grafts fell out, it was a bare minimum. But as the years went by my natural hair continued to fall out. It was around my mid thirties when it started bothering me again.

If it wasn't for those transplants in 1997 I would have probably been skin bald on the top of my head by my mid thirties.

Based on your post, I'm not sure you realize how far the 2000 grafts will actually take you. You are planning crown work but there is a very very high possibility you will want additional density in area that you transplanted. Welcome and continue your research to better set your expectations. Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

Spanker, I completely agree with you. I have no doubt I will want more density in the front. According to my family history, my crown would be the next area to thin out (throughout my 40s). I plan on doing my crown next and add more density to the front and top in the future. But my plans are tentative. The only thing that is for certain right now is that this procedure was one of many to come. But how many- is to be determined.

I really like this forum. It's always great to read stories from people who are going through or went through the same thing.