safe scribe in FUE

I have a thread here that has quotes from various doctors in regards to manual or motorized punches. There is no general consensus as to which method is superior. It is said that manual does offer more tactile feedback and can alert you as to when you have successfully punched out the hair etc.

The SAFE Scribe is a motorized blunt punch designed by recommended hair restoration surgeon (and FUE expert) Dr. Jim Harris. Altogether, it's a good device. However, please keep the following in mind: the SAFE Scribe, like any other FUE device, is simply a tool. No matter how great the device may be, if you put it in the hands of an inexperienced surgeon, the results will suffer. In the end, it is the skill and experience of the surgeon, not the tool he/she uses that will lead to quality results.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Between which two? I only recall you mentioning the SAFE Scribe?

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I did see a report that tested various punches and their effectiveness and efficiency of cutting through some sort of sheet metal but the source of the test was a manufacturer of a very popular manual punch and the inventor has been known to exaggerate so I'm not sure if it is totally sincere. I am a huge fan of his manual punches though as Lorenzo, Feriduni and Bisanga use them.

i know that dr bhatti in india uses the scribe motorized punch and i have seen some pretty good results. but i agree with blake, that no matter how good the tool, it is irrelevant is used by the wrong dr.

Blake i was talking about motorized punches like safe scribe and manual punches..and stinger the doc who told me about safe scribe was Dr Bhatti ..How do you feel about his work..Like the final yield and scar and other stuff that you guys know about .

Hairs,

I've seen good results from both. A lot of people prefer manual punches simply because they decrease strain on the grafts during extraction, but I think strain can be minimal with a motorized punch in experts hands as well. Altogether, I'd focus on the final results and use these to determine whether or not the physician is producing quality work with the tool he/she uses.

I recently got a reply from a doc about his FUE technique and he said he uses the safe scribe system ..What do you guys think about it..is it the latest and greatest techniques for grafts extraction.

Here is a link to the thread that Mickey85 started and mentioned in his response:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169281-ultimate-manual-versus-motorized-fue-thread.html.

It is not a comprehensive list (yet), but as you will see from reading it, some FUE docs prefer manual punches for doing the excisions, others prefer commercially available motorized punches such as Dr. Harris' SAFE that you mentioned, others prefer the ARTAS computerized robotic system, and others still have devised their own manual or motorized punches. A number of the docs contributing to or referenced in the thread explain what they see as the benefits of the extraction tool(s) they use for FUE. And, as you will learn, not all hand-held motorized punches are created equal.

As others have advised, your best bet is to thoroughly review the body of work of FUE physicians and let their results, rather than the tool they use to excise the follicles, be your guide. A number of top, world class docs experienced with FUE are recommended on this site and post plenty of cases here and on their web sites, so that is an excellent place to start your research. Incredibly good and incredibly poor FUE results have been obtained by docs using all sorts of extraction tools. It's more about the skill, artistry, and experience of the doc and his team than it is about the particular tool that is used to execute the excisions.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
i know that dr bhatti in india uses the scribe motorized punch and i have seen some pretty good results. but i agree with blake, that no matter how good the tool, it is irrelevant is used by the wrong dr.

Stinger is correct in that Bhatti does use the SAFE system but switches between the SAFE blunt punch and the Kowloon semi-sharp punch.

From my observations, i have not been impressed by the SAFE system results i have seen from a variety of surgeons on a whole. Just my opinion. For a system that was built yo supposedly avoid transection due to utilizing a blunt punch, i dont see good yields out of it...