Would any concealers work for me?

Hello,

I am a 29 year old that has experienced progressive hair thinning for the past 10 years. This has really taken a major toll on my self confidence, and I am hoping to learn about some options. Unfortunately, HT is not an option for me at the moment due to financial reasons.

About two years ago, I used Toppik. I had much longer hair at the time, but as I recall it worked reasonably well. I made a stupid decision one day, that has had continued repercussions for me now. I decided to see what I would look like if I shaved my head. It was not awful, but I was happier with the normal-ish hair and toppik. The problem is, I painted myself into a corner of having to keep shaving my head every few days because the hair was coming back in so thin. I was afraid to let it grow long enough to start using Toppik again because it looked so terrible during the first days and weeks growth and I didn't think I could use any concealers during this phase for fear of obvious detection.

This is what I look like today. I last shaved my head about two and a half weeks ago.

me1z.png

me2o.png

I hate being seen this way, and have essentially not left my house without a hat on except to go to work. Even then, I close myself away in my office and conduct meetings over the phone to avoid social situations. I look much more youthful when I buzz it down with a #0, but I'm hoping to get enough hair that I can use concealers and try to restore a semi-normal look more consistent with my age.

I have been looking at Toppik and Dermmatch. Would either product help me at this point? I have never had any kind of medical evaluation or treatment. I know that's something I should consider, but I really don't want to get the "used car salesman" routine from a HT surgeon that will try to convince me to finance a surgery or something. If I had the money I would do it in a heartbeat, but I have enough loans and credit card payments as it is and can't handle another one.

Thanks!

Andy

Hi Andy.

Could you post a picture of you with the hair

you would be wearing with concealers?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Andy I have been pleased with Nanogen, but of course each guy is different.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/product/ST-112/Nanogen-Nanofibres/

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/product/121/Nanogen-Locking-Mist/

However I think if you can find funding via a second job, credit card, loan, ect... you would look really good after a transplant from a top doctor.

A hair transplant and meds like propecia woud do wonders for you.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I would definitely love to be able to go with HT, but I work full time and am also in school full time finishing my doctorate. It'll be a few years yet before I am able to generate any extra income :(

My next big concern with concealers is that I will leave work somewhat bald one day and show up with a full head of hair the next. It seems rather conspicuous. Any thoughts on that issue, and perhaps some ideas for dealing with it?

I was in your shoes..Getting my PhD and going bald. I made the stupid mistake of getting my HT done by a cheap doctor as I did not have enough financial resources.

In my opinion concealers might not help you much, even if you grow out your hair. The hair on top is pretty sparse. However you could grow it out and give it a try. You got nothing to loose. I do not think you have to worry about people noticing thicker hair because of concealers. You can control the amount of concealers to have a gradual progress, if you wish.

Do not commit to HT without proper evaluation of pros and cons, keeping in mind your baldness level. You seem like you are a Norwood 6. Do not let the desperation of getting your hair back make you commit an irreversible mistake. Consult multiple reputed doctors and ask for expected final results.

• 3 weeks later...

My name is Jon Davidman and I own a company called KeraFiber We are a hair product company who markets our own hair concealers. I read your post and looked at your photos. You and I have similar hair. The issue you and I have is applying hair concealer to the front of the head while making it looks natural. What I personally do is put the fibers in from back to front and in the way up front I do not add the fibers. If you have fibers too far up front it will look like you have concealer in (with your type of hair). If anyone tells you differently they are lying. But you do have enough hair to conceal the top and back of your hair and for your hair to look full. As you mentioned there are other products such as Toppik. I created KeraFiber because other brands such as Toppik, although did what they promised, just didn't look 100% on my head. So I created KeraFiber with ingredients and thinner fibers so it would look more natural on my hair. If you or anyone tries KeraFiber and are not 100% satisfied you can return it for 100% money back. We want you to look and feel good and if you don't all you have to do is return the product. I wish you luck and hope I helped answer your question

My name is Jon Davidman and I own a company called KeraFiber.com We are a hair product company who markets our own hair concealers. I read your post and looked at your photos. You and I have similar hair. The issue you and I have is applying hair concealer to the front of the head while making it looks natural. What I personally do is put the fibers in from back to front and in the way up front I do not add the fibers. If you have fibers too far up front it will look like you have concealer in (with your type of hair). If anyone tells you differently they are lying. But you do have enough hair to conceal the top and back of your hair and for your hair to look full. As you mentioned there are other products such as Toppik. I created KeraFiber because other brands such as Toppik, although did what they promised, just didn't look 100% on my head. So I created KeraFiber with ingredients and thinner fibers so it would look more natural on my hair. If you or anyone tries KeraFiber and are not 100% satisfied you can return it for 100% money back. We want you to look and feel good and if you don't all you have to do is return the product. I wish you luck and hope I helped answer your question

I actually agree completely with your observation. I purchased both Dermmatch and Toppik, and I think the results look awesome except for the very front. That's been a struggle for me. I tend to find that the Dermmatch gets all over everything when it's freshly applied too (pillow cases, couch cushions, etc.) I wear a white lab coat at work and this is a constant worry of mine. I will take a look at your product, thanks for the link.

If I put concealer in front, I notice that it is in, and I am my biggest critic. We can't all have 100% full head of hair, but I am very happy if I can conceal 85-90% of my thin hair. And I do that. Unfortunately since you and I have similar hair types this is the best we can do. If you decide to try our products upon check out use coupon code KERAFORUM for $5.00 off. Also if it doesn't look good on your hair feel free to return for a full money back guarantee. I just hope you regain your confidence and that our product makes you feel happier.

In regards to your lab coat, fibers should not just come off on it. I would suggest to use a fiber hold spray or any hair spray if that is an issue for you. Sometimes I don't use a spray but I also don't see fibers falling off and causing me embarassing moments.

• 2 weeks later...

" I look much more youthful when I buzz it down with a #0" I honestly think that's your answer. Based on your photos you have a great shaped head. I have two friends who once they started shaving it all off, they looked much younger (just like you said you did) and got to move on with their life. They are both in their 40s but now look like they're in their 30s. I'm a long time concealer user myself and I went down the road of a hair transplant. I don't regret it but at the same time, I envy a simpler life of just bicking it all and calling it good that many guys have. Simple and easy. That's my recommendation for you, especially if you're socially not yourself anymore. Do the 30-day challenge of shaving it, get feedback from friends. 'Spanker' on this forum promotes this and I think it'd brilliant.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Very satisfied customer of Dr. Konior, Chicago

FUT, 3950 grafts, June 2012

Message me if you have any questions regarding my experience or Dr. K.

If you can shave it off and you think it will look good then listen to Sam. I personally use concealer every day, because the thought of me shaving my head scares me. I always tell myself unless I am super tan and work out and am in shape then I can't shave my head. But this is my personal stigma. I think it would look good on me if i was in tip top shape and not average as i am. I feel like i am that typical bald out of shape white guy who is 40, lol.

I also want to get a hair transplant and think about it every day but I am more worried to have it botched and not look 100% natural. With the fibers at least for me it looks the most natural. My last resort would be to shave it all off. I guess once i start having to comb over then i know thats my time to shave my head. So for now its thinking about hair transplants but using concealers.

• 4 weeks later...

Well said Sam Spade!

nfdFireMedic: You may want to strongly consider doing the shaving thing, which is universally accepted nowadays, right? How's your downer density? Looks like you'd need a few surgeries and a very large amount of grafts to really getbthe HTs done "right" --- thats a lot of time and money. Plus having to concern yourself with deco operating from the surgery etc. You have a great head and face shape which would compliment a shaved head --- plus looks like you have decent skin tone so just go tanning 1x a week or so (I feel like shaved head look just works better when you have a bit of a tan). I think your feel LIBERATED not having to work about hiding ANYTHING :) Just one man's opinion ...

Well said Sam Spade!

nfdFireMedic: You may want to strongly consider doing the shaving thing, which is universally accepted nowadays, right? How's your downer density? Looks like you'd need a few surgeries and a very large amount of grafts to really getbthe HTs done "right" --- thats a lot of time and money. Plus having to concern yourself with deco operating from the surgery etc. You have a great head and face shape which would compliment a shaved head --- plus looks like you have decent skin tone so just go tanning 1x a week or so (I feel like shaved head look just works better when you have a bit of a tan). I think your feel LIBERATED not having to work about hiding ANYTHING :) Just one man's opinion ...

Yeah, this is pretty much the conclusion I ended up drawing. Buzzed it off, and I actually feel better.

64076_10152389131805224_1696550658_n.jpg