21 years old, very bad hairline, wanting HT within the next year.

No worries. I made the FUE/FUT thread because there was not one report ANYWHERE where there was unbiased information in a concentrated form. FUE exclusive Docs were making far fetched claims about less than 2% transection or FUT Docs were never mentioning the drastic change in direction or the disruption of natural groupings and hair caliber gradation. Believe me alot of that information was very hard to come by.

Mickey, thanks for sharing the info, i appreciate it.

But you said to research about HT before going to Hasson & Wong, but seeing as they are part of the IAHRS, would they still get me to go the wrong way?

They are part of the IHARS for a reason right? why would they pass up wrong info upon me? I know you didn't say that but just wondering, if IHARS surgeons aren't trustable than who is?

When surgeons give out prescriptions for Proprecia to a 24 year old hairloss sufferer, that rings a bell, especially when they know very well the potential permanent side effects.

This is a very poor point. Handing out a propecia prescription to a 24 yr old is the correct decision, as it is the only medication that actually slows down or stops hair loss. It has a low incidence of side effects and very rare cases of permanent side effects. So that "potential" for permanent side effects is wrong. FYI - I had a NW 5 pattern going on by the time I was 24, propecia would have been beneficial to me.

Propecia is the only thing that works, and young men who are suffering from hair loss NEED to be taking it if they want to preserve their hair.

ali1991,

I believe you are referring to the IAHRS, which is an organization ran by one guy Spencer Kobren who lists surgeons based on their own standards. I'm not familiar with his standards, but his process for recommendation is not transparent.

This community recommends hair transplant surgeons based on high standards. Our process for recommendation is highly transparent. To see how this community recommends surgeons, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill

This is a very poor point. Handing out a propecia prescription to a 24 yr old is the correct decision, as it is the only medication that actually slows down or stops hair loss. It has a low incidence of side effects and very rare cases of permanent side effects. So that "potential" for permanent side effects is wrong. FYI - I had a NW 5 pattern going on by the time I was 24, propecia would have been beneficial to me.

Propecia is the only thing that works, and young men who are suffering from hair loss NEED to be taking it if they want to preserve their hair.

you misunderstand. i was questioning ethics. do you consider it ethical for a surgeon to prescribe proprecia to a young(or old) patient who has just walked in for a consult without being informed of the potential side effects that have been PROVEN(again, potentially) to be permenant? yes proprecia does preserve hair but im guessing that patient would rather maintain his sex life than his hair. you iterate that the potential is 'very rare' but does it not still exist? how you feel if your became permenantly impotent? my surgeon and his reps repeatly kept telling me i needed to take proprecia after my procedure even though i exhibit no major loss at all. i expressed my concern about the potential ramifications but that was not important to them, it fell on deaf ears. how is that ethical?!

find me a.doctor who can gaurantee in writing that proprecia wont inhibit an individuals sexual functionality(in any way). you cant. that surgeon would have his medical licence stripped away faster than Mr.Armani.

young men suffering with hairloss dont NEED to take proprecia. young men suffering with hairloss NEED to be informed about the potential ramifications associated with Proprecia, FUE, FUT, SMP, body hair transplantation , Acell etc by the surgeons that perform them. then it is up to the patient.

proprecia can be a great thing, i can admit thay wholeheartedly. but for a surgeon who knows(if i know this, then they certainly know this) that proprecia CAN inhibit the sexual functionality of the patient, i feel it is unethical to prescribe it at the rate and ease that they do without educating the patient about the side effects that can occur.

I thought IAHRS was kind of Doctor's Alliance or something..Didn't knew it was just run by one guy and I guess he's the host of the Bald Truth radio..

you are correct he does host the bald truth show. i once had the same thought as well.

Mickey, thanks for sharing the info, i appreciate it.

But you said to research about HT before going to Hasson & Wong, but seeing as they are part of the IAHRS, would they still get me to go the wrong way?

They are part of the IHARS for a reason right? why would they pass up wrong info upon me? I know you didn't say that but just wondering, if IHARS surgeons aren't trustable than who is?

Ali my friend, you need to understand that if you consult with 5 of the best surgeons in the world, you will get 5 different opinions and some will not be right for you. you cannot be too trusting. i went to a surgeon who is constantly regarded as one of the best and what he did to me was absolutely shocking. some parts of my hair were actually better before the surgery. i was too trusting also. you really need to research and form your own opinion as to what is right and wrong.

you misunderstand. i was questioning ethics. do you consider it ethical for a surgeon to prescribe proprecia to a young(or old) patient who has just walked in for a consult without being informed of the potential side effects that have been PROVEN(again, potentially) to be permenant? yes proprecia does preserve hair but im guessing that patient would rather maintain his sex life than his hair. you iterate that the potential is 'very rare' but does it not still exist? how you feel if your became permenantly impotent? my surgeon and his reps repeatly kept telling me i needed to take proprecia after my procedure even though i exhibit no major loss at all. i expressed my concern about the potential ramifications but that was not important to them, it fell on deaf ears. how is that ethical?!

find me a.doctor who can gaurantee in writing that proprecia wont inhibit an individuals sexual functionality(in any way). you cant. that surgeon would have his medical licence stripped away faster than Mr.Armani.

young men suffering with hairloss dont NEED to take proprecia. young men suffering with hairloss NEED to be informed about the potential ramifications associated with Proprecia, FUE, FUT, SMP, body hair transplantation , Acell etc by the surgeons that perform them. then it is up to the patient.

proprecia can be a great thing, i can admit thay wholeheartedly. but for a surgeon who knows(if i know this, then they certainly know this) that proprecia CAN inhibit the sexual functionality of the patient, i feel it is unethical to prescribe it at the rate and ease that they do without educating the patient about the side effects that can occur.

Fair enough, my apologies, I overreact to propecia haters. Patients should be informed of the side effects, but simply put, it is the best and first line of defense against this curse, and it is more ethical to advise a young man to take finasteride than to simply put him in the operating theater.

Fair enough, my apologies, I overreact to propecia haters. Patients should be informed of the side effects, but simply put, it is the best and first line of defense against this curse, and it is more ethical to advise a young man to take finasteride than to simply put him in the operating theater.

Hehe no need to apologize buddy :) We have differing views is all. I certainly acknowledge the Proprecia is the most effective out of the big 3 anti-hairloss methods but it should not be so freely given or pushed. I kept telling the patient advocate that I feared the side effects and she kept ignoring the key concern I had and kept reiterating the benefits it had on maintaining hair. At the point I questioned the clinic's ethics and wondered if my surgeon was even a doctor anymore... I don't hate Proprecia at all, but surgeons should not push it on anyone. Not everyone that walks into a clinic is informed or has a fine forum like this one to educate them. Some will walk in and think Proprecia is a miracle drug just because a doctor prescribed it to them, unknowing that it can change hormones and can have side effects.

Guys I need your help, so I sent my pictures along with my bio to a bunch of doctors for a online consulation.

I got a reply from Hair Restoration Dr Glenn M. Charles (Charles medical group), the doctor said :

"I can see the hair loss you have in the frontal, mid scalp, and crown areas. It appears that you have good donor hair. Although it is not possible to determine a patients exact donor density from a photo, my estimates are generally very close. Being only 21 years old I suggest you only have work done in the frontal and mid scalp regions, not the crown at this time. I recommend 2000-2500 follicular unit grafts in a single session to establish a conservative hairline and add some density to the frontal and mid scalp regions".

Her assistant messaged me and asking if i wanted to go ahead with the surgery.

Have you guys heard of this doctor? should i book my surgery for next year and listen to his advice?

ali have u researched enough and know the pros and cons of what u are getting into..Dr Charles is a recommended doc here but I suggest you do some more consults or better go for in person and take different opinions..spend some good time on this forum and then decide what u have to do..Don't rush is what I would say..also some pics would be helpful..

I don't hate Proprecia at all, but surgeons should not push it on anyone. Not everyone that walks into a clinic is informed or has a fine forum like this one to educate them. Some will walk in and think Proprecia is a miracle drug just because a doctor prescribed it to them, unknowing that it can change hormones and can have side effects.

Fair point. On that note, I believe the OP should seriously consider use of this drug before he gets his head sliced open. You need to first stabilize the loss with medication and preserve your current hair, then and only then should you proceed with surgery. (This is for a younger man with progressive loss, not an older man with most of his loss behind him).

Sorry, but I'm not going anywhere near Propecia, I tried a drug that had some of the ingredients that Propecia has and I noticed an erection problem that same night I took the drug.

Not happening.

Guys I need your help, so I sent my pictures along with my bio to a bunch of doctors for a online consulation.

I got a reply from Hair Restoration Dr Glenn M. Charles (Charles medical group), the doctor said :

"I can see the hair loss you have in the frontal, mid scalp, and crown areas. It appears that you have good donor hair. Although it is not possible to determine a patients exact donor density from a photo, my estimates are generally very close. Being only 21 years old I suggest you only have work done in the frontal and mid scalp regions, not the crown at this time. I recommend 2000-2500 follicular unit grafts in a single session to establish a conservative hairline and add some density to the frontal and mid scalp regions".

Her assistant messaged me and asking if i wanted to go ahead with the surgery.

Have you guys heard of this doctor? should i book my surgery for next year and listen to his advice?

Sigh.... all the very best buddy. Please research some more before committing to a procedure. Im withdrawing from this thread.

I appreciate all the advice you passed along Mickey, thanks for taking the time to giving me advice, I'll definetely do the research and see what happens.

I don't have any experience in this thing, so my immaturity on the subject might have ticked you off, my bad.

Sorry, but I'm not going anywhere near Propecia, I tried a drug that had some of the ingredients that Propecia has and I noticed an erection problem that same night I took the drug.

Not happening.

Propecia doesn't cause side effects that very night. You're making a sad mistake buddy. I hope it works out for you. If you do go the HT route, then you should post your pics on here. Good luck!