Any transplant patients in M/c willing to help?

please help. I've been struggling with my hairloss for years. it has been quite slow. I suffer with terrible depression. I have Body dysmorphic disorder. I hate myself as it is. This is making me suicidal. If I don't get something done soon, then i'm pretty sure i will end doing something about it. I can barely leave the house, i'm so unhappy, i cry nearly every time I see my reflection. I do have a small amount of money put aside for a transplant but am worried about going to the wrong place and end up in a worse condition than I already am. I am feeling pretty desperate. Anybody willing to at least help me out a little? Please!

The first thing I would do is to go see your doctor and tell them you are suffering from severe depression. You sound like you need some type of treatment. You do not seem to be a good candidate right now due to your emotional state.

Good luck.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks Spanker. I've already done that. I've been seeing a psychologist for years. The hairloss has become my major cause of depression, they know that. I need something done if I'm a good candidate or not. The hairloss will kill me if I don't get it sorted. The doctors don't understand. I've tried to explain. It's become such an obsession now. I already take Propecia and Minoxidil which worked for a while. This is stopping me doing anything. This hairloss is killing me. I need to sort this. Quickly.

I think you would know that no one on this site can truly provide advice that substitutes for that of a doctor and no one wants to say anything that can make your situation worse. Your hair loss is not killing you, it is your reaction to it--and I am not saying that you can just turn it on and off easily. Depression is a very real cognitive disease and you already know that your sense of perception has been altered by it. We can all speculate that the hair loss represents or symbolizes something else in your life that is part of the underlying cause for your depression--for some people it might be a symbol of getting older, loss of choice or regretting decisions. Regardless you have to trust that if you can and will find a way to ride out the depression and at some point you will be able to see the forest from the trees. Hang on tight as best you can and when that day comes you will be in a better place to find a hair transplant surgeon you trust and can work with you--if you even want to pursue it at that point.

minizippy,

You've got some great advice here. Many of us can relate to what you are feeling but there is very little chance that sorting this out quickly will lead to a happy resolution. You need to pause and assess the situation with a clear head. If you are clinically depressed, you need to treat that depression first.

Remember that surgical hair restoration is not a hair loss cure. You need to fully educate yourself about medical and surgical options and form realistic expectations based on your specific case.

In the meantime, I don't think it would hurt you to speak with an ethical hair restoration surgeon or two. But, I would urge you to be fully open with the doctor about your depression.

You can view our interactive map to find recommended physicians in your area. In the UK we recommend Drs. Bessam Farjo and Nilofer Farjo.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck. Please feel free to contact me privately if there is anything I can assist with.

David

service@hairtransplantnetwork.com

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

thanks for your advice guys.

You are right Davies 91 and takingtheplunge. It's not the hair loss killing me. it is my reaction, that is true. the story is. i was mentally abused at school, then at work about my appearance. There is things not right about how i look. I've battled for years to accept how I look, but have failed. Even spent 3 months in a hospital which specialized in my condition. My hair is very important to me, it covers what i see as defects in my appearance. Without my hair I will be nothing, i feel so ugly with it, without it I will be worse than i am now, i won't cope, it's bad enough now. I won't be able to hide these defects anymore. A few years ago i tried to eliminate the issue by shaving my hair to a number 3. it made me so ill. I couldn't leave the house for months. Yes i do suffer terribly with my mental illness. This is just getting too much now. I've tried the anti-depressants, I've done the cognitive behavioral therapy, I've done the hospital. All this has failed. Where do I go from here? I see the only answer being "getting all my hair back" I'm stuck guys. I appreciate all your advice so far, I wish i could accept your answers, but I can't. I've been mentally abused about my appearance all my life. If I lose my hair, more abuse will follow. I go to the gym, I can see the guys laughing at me trying to cover up my shame, the mirrors torture me, i nearly started crying in teh gym the other day. Has anyone had a fargo transplant here? If i was to have a 1000 hairs put in? What would the cost be? and would it cover much? I'm sorry to go on here, I wish your replies were the answer i wanted. Sorry.

The cost is highly dependent upon whether it's FUE or FUT; The prices have been falling for both, and I'm seeing FUE prices as low as $5 per graft, which is what I paid 2.5 years ago for FUT grafts, which are now around $3 to $4 per graft.

Hang in there man. I suffered lots of mental/emotional abuse in the small, mid-western Catholic grade school I went to for years; extremely small-minded and judgmental place, very cliquish and merciless. And it's true that society at large prizes looks, making life a real bitch for those without (fat girls, bald guys, etc.). Many people have just offed themselves over it, but there really is always hope, especially when you're still as young as you.

Don't give up; there's always a way.

Thanks for your reply othersyde. That transplant is a fantastic job. You must be well pleased. I was all for having a word with your surgeon but then noticed you live the other side of the planet. what a shame. This is the kind of people i need to chat with on here, someone who has had a transplant locally so i can see their result and work out how much this would cost me too. Thanks for being understanding my friend. with my hair falling out, i just can't be happy. I hope i can get this sorted. Upwards and onwards for you though. Best of luck.

Thanks for your reply othersyde. That transplant is a fantastic job. You must be well pleased. I was all for having a word with your surgeon but then noticed you live the other side of the planet. what a shame. This is the kind of people i need to chat with on here, someone who has had a transplant locally so i can see their result and work out how much this would cost me too. Thanks for being understanding my friend. with my hair falling out, i just can't be happy. I hope i can get this sorted. Upwards and onwards for you though. Best of luck.

Hey, don't let distance stop you. I can't count how many guys just didn't want to take a little extra time to save up some travel money, and went with some closer, more geographically convenient hack-job local doctor who butchered them and ruined them for years to come. Yeah, a round-trip ticket to a far-away land can be a bitch; just paid over $600 USD just to fly up to Oregon from Hawaii to get the HT I got today (got done about 6 hours ago - from the same doc of course), because I KNEW it was worth it.

Seriously man, find a real, truly great and renowned doctor with lots of well-documented success stories... There are many from all over the world right here on these forums, probably some that are fairly close to you. Where there's a will, there's a way, and it'll be the best thing you ever did for yourself! Best of luck!