Did I Screw Up My New HT???!!!

I'm at the 6 months mark. Growth was good. I was in a 110F climate last week and trimmed my hair down using buzz clippers to a #1. Not shaved with a razor probably 1/16". Now 3 weeks later the transplanted area is growing back BUT it looks like patches! Almost like the black spots on a dalmation dog. It's like clumps or patches of hair with what looks like bald areas inbetween. It wasn't like this when it grew in originally. I can see hairs growing but they are growing all flat against my skin. It almost looks like old style HT corn rows.

Did I screw something up by buzzing my transplanted hair? I'm really worried. It looks like shit up there now.

John,

Shaving your head at 6 months should do nothing to affect the integrity of the grafts. A lot of hair transplant surgeons advise avoiding excessive sunlight on the scalp for the first 3-6 months (which you likely experienced in the heat), but this shouldn't cause patchy growth either.

Frankly, I don't think you did anything to affect the growth. Have you ever shaved your hair like this before? Like a few others stated, pictures may help.

Look forward to your reply.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Here is a pic. I shaved it down around 3 weeks ago. I'm 6 months post op. Really not too thrilled with the thickness and there is a patch approx .5" diameter at my right temple area that is 50% less dense than anything around it.

The transplanted area was bald as a baby's ass before the tp.

20130306_105604.jpg.a2d7216f88567de4a054592f81607822.jpg

I know you are not thrilled with the thickness, and honestly its not going to meet your expectations.

That's why you will read about illusion of density. The HT is going to give a picture quality of a full head of hair. If you do the math, we know that you can't have a THICK full head of hair based on the available grafts

That being said, I think your results are really impressive.. your going to be able to come and style your hair, and it frames your face very nicely.

Have you had your hair buzzed since you got the transplant.? Or did you let it grow out post op.

As a lot of people have said transplants are the illusion of the full head of hair and may not look the same on some when buzzed down.

This is as the hair would not be as densly packed beside each other as a natural head of hair therefore when grown out allows much more the ability to 'Curtain' the gaps between grafts.

Therefore displaying much more coverage rather than patchy appearance.

In any event you are only 6 months and for sure some areas will be less dense than others. Wait 12 months before deciding anything.