Rash On my Face,Is it Due to kirklands minoxidil? Or Nizoral?

azaya

Hello,

I started using Kirkland and Nizoral shampoo about 3 months ago. Since starting the regimen, I've seemed to have acquired a rash on my face, across the bridge of my nose and a little into my cheeks. It's scaly/flaky. It came up around 3 months ago and it hasn't gone away too much since. The Gp prescribed me hydrocortisone cream And some antibiotics.

It went away but then came back a month after. i was doing some house work, showered then later that day it started appearing?

Is it Minoxidil? or Nizoral Shampoo (only use it once a week)?

Thanks guys

Hello,

I started using Kirkland and Nizoral shampoo about 3 months ago. Since starting the regimen, I've seemed to have acquired a rash on my face, across the bridge of my nose and a little into my cheeks. It's scaly/flaky. It came up around 3 months ago and it hasn't gone away too much since. The Gp prescribed me hydrocortisone cream And some antibiotics.

It went away but then came back a month after. i was doing some house work, showered then later that day it started appearing?

Is it Minoxidil? or Nizoral Shampoo (only use it once a week)?

Thanks guys

Years ago I started getting Rosacea and was prescribed Rozex metronidazol gel which works wonders. It eliminated most of the redness and flakiness and I've been using it for 6 years now.

Any relatives have redness in the cheeks and nose? It could be Rosacea. If it is the hairloss meds I wonder why it isnt flakiness of the scalp.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I am not too sure on whether or not anyone in the family do have Rosacea.

But come to think of it at one point before i got on minoxidil, the side of nose used to itch badly then it gets red and flares up with dry skin, is that Rosacea symptoms? I cant tell, although my uncle at one point had a rash like spots on his cheeks, not sure if that is linked.

However, you do make a valuable point, no sign of any side effects on the scalp from the use of minoxidil.

Question just to be safe What do you mean by flakiness of the scalp?

Again thanks for your time to reply very much appreciated.

I started using Kirkland and Nizoral shampoo about 3 months ago. Since starting the regimen, I've seemed to have acquired a rash on my face, Thanks guys

I tried Nizoral and it really dried out out my scalp so I stopped using it. I felt it was way too strong for my skin even using it only on sunday. Of course every patient may react different to products. Nizoral works for some, but I didn't like it.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I am not too sure on whether or not anyone in the family do have Rosacea.

But come to think of it at one point before i got on minoxidil, the side of nose used to itch badly then it gets red and flares up with dry skin, is that Rosacea symptoms? I cant tell, although my uncle at one point had a rash like spots on his cheeks, not sure if that is linked.

However, you do make a valuable point, no sign of any side effects on the scalp from the use of minoxidil.

Question just to be safe What do you mean by flakiness of the scalp?

Again thanks for your time to reply very much appreciated.

Flakiness - I just meant dandruff caused by an alergic reaction or something.

Rosacea is particularly prevalent in people of irish/scottish heritage, which has lead to it being called 'The curse of the celts'.

Best to go see your GP.

• 3 weeks later...

took two pictures to show what i am suffering from, ofcourse it changes all the time, as it is now.

I even went off minoxidil for a week but nothing changed it seemed to get worse, Or maybe i should have gone off it longer ?

Gp's reply was not to worry about it. He asked me to slowly reduce the hydrocortisone cream usage, so i thought that might be the cause but it wasnt. Confusing really, Gp keep wasting my time i just want to get down to it.

Any suggestions?

Edited by azaya

I will put the blame on NIZORAL. I stopped using it twice a week and started using it once a week. It does dry the skin and makes the hair looks terrible. I do oil my hair well before using the NIZROAL in order to avoid this drying effect.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

took two pictures to show what i am suffering from, ofcourse it changes all the time, as it is now.

I even went off minoxidil for a week but nothing changed it seemed to get worse, Or maybe i should have gone off it longer ?

Gp's reply was not to worry about it. He asked me to slowly reduce the hydrocortisone cream usage, so i thought that might be the cause but it wasnt. Confusing really, Gp keep wasting my time i just want to get down to it.

Any suggestions?

I'm no GP but it does look like Rosacea to me. I had the same years ago and people commented I looked like an alcoholic or something!

Rozex gel really took away 90% of the redness for me. See if you can find a dermatologist

Google 'Minoxidil Rosacea' and it seems there are lots of threads..

Edited by 1978matt

@ Hariri i do apply Nizoral Only Once a week too, however i am considering once every two weeks since i reduced minoxidil application to only once a day.

@1978matt, thats what the pharmacist said to me today as well. But does that mean minoxidil aggrivates it? should i stop it? quite abit of speculations there to go with as i looked it up. What is your opinion on this matter since you went through this ordeal besides what you recommeneded which i appreciate?

@ Hariri i do apply Nizoral Only Once a week too, however i am considering once every two weeks since i reduced minoxidil application to only once a day.

@1978matt, thats what the pharmacist said to me today as well. But does that mean minoxidil aggrivates it? should i stop it? quite abit of speculations there to go with as i looked it up. What is your opinion on this matter since you went through this ordeal besides what you recommeneded which i appreciate?

I'm not a GP, but all I know is when I got it in 2007 the gel worked wonders and eliminated the redness within 2 weeks. I've used it ever since, applying once a night as a preventative measure.

Since starting minoxidil 12 months ago nothing has flared up.