I cant do it!

I have been researching HTs for the last 5 years or so, i have gathered and researched as much info as i can, i have spoken to Drs and reps worldwide. I take meds and a frequent visitor on many forums.

I know a HT could change my life for the better as hair loss has killed my confidence. nearly ruined my career and changed me as a person:(

I have most funds in place but the problem is i do not have the balls to commit to a procedure, i just can not do it.:confused:

I guess i am worried a failed procedure or unnatural procedure would just finish it for me, i dont know what it is. :confused:

I just joined a moment ago and yours is the first that caught my eye, why? I've suffered from fear of failure all my life, All my life I've been told I have a natural art ability that is above average. I'm currently enrolled in a well known art school and have consistently performed at the top of every class I've completed, yet I'm scared to death of doing anything with all the knowledge I've accumulated over the past few years.Fear of failure causes me to over-scetch every assignment I've performed, in short I'll work at something to the point of exhaustion and if anyone asks me to do any professional work for money I get scared and fly into a panic. I'm now 49 years old and stuck in a job that pays well, but I don't care for. What I'm trying to say is, that's performance anxiety you're experiencing, plain and simple.It could be you over-researched and worked yourself into a panic about all the choices and whether you'll make "THE right one." You've already done the hard part, secured the funds, done all the research, it's time to reap the benefits, by all means go for it!!!!

I can certainly relate to your hesitation. It IS a big decision. In my own case I procrastinated for many years before finally moving forward with my HT. I'm a NW6 and have always been self conscience about my appearance yet I hesitated to do anything about it. Today I'm home relaxing 4 days after my first procedure and excited about the future. Despite all the information I gathered what convinced me to move forward was meeting a doctor who addressed my concerns and gave me confidence he could do the work well. When you find that doctor you may find that you're ready to move forward. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, great to hear that you conquered your apprehension. I'm just starting to look into it. What a blow to the ego this has been for me, I'm the only one in my family to experience hair loss. The only place I ever went to about 10 years ago wanted all the money up front, is it still like that, or are there payment options available from some doctors. I guess I really should do some research for myself, but I thought I'd ask someone knowledgeable first.

james84,

What you are feeling is perfectly normal. I'm sure all of us have had the same feelings. I spend years researching and then a few months when I was ready to commit the funds, flip-flopping about the procedure.

What pushed me forward in the end was that I had a ton of confidence in my doctor and felt that even if the results were not desirable, that I would not be butchered and would at least look no worse that I did prior. Knowing how much time I'd spent obsessing over hair loss and how bad I felt about the image I saw in the mirror propelled me forward.

I was questioning decision right up until the first cuts were made and then an immediate calm came over me and I suddenly began to look forward to a future with more hair.

My first procedure didn't grow as expected but I had a follow-up and after that I've never regretted my decision.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Takingtheplunge,

I think this may be the case. I have been planning this for years and now that i am close and funds secured, that is when my nerves and questions kick in even more. A few of the Drs have given me great confidence in their abilities and their results speak for themselves.

Thank you for the response guys, i fully intend to document my case on here when i go under the knife, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Regards.

James, I feel for you man. I really do. I wish I had your careful nature. I went ahead with a surgery without thinking about the potential ramification and funnily/sadly enough, I received almost every complication there was... There is nothing I regret more than undergoing this procedure and going to the Doctor that I went to. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself just to enjoy what I had in life, at least it was not foreign and unnatural. I'm not knocking hair transplants, they have elevated the lives of THOUSANDS of people, but when they go wrong they can go really wrong. PM me if you wanna chat about it man. There are options you can take that are not surgical and will help you move on from the fixation of hair. Believe me, it's easier doing it before a HT than after. Not only do I have to work on moving on from my failed HT, but also move on from my fixation on my hair.

James,

I recommend taking as much time as necessary. Think about your goals, spend time researching on the forums, consult with even more physicians, and wait until you are 100% ready before proceeding.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Micky85,

Cheers for the kind words, we have chatted briefly before....will be in touch again, i am now at the stage were i try and forget about HTs altogether even though i know a successful one could change my life for the better.

Or take the risk and have a procedure done, because no matter what Dr you choose there will always be a risk of it going wrong as you well know:(

There really are some amazing surgeons out there, but maybe for me i cant take that risk of being an unsuccessful patient. Time will tell.

once again thank you for the replies.

Regards

I have a different mindset when I decided on a HT. Much like every first timer, we are skeptic if hair transplant works. The potential of being an unsuccessful patient did cross my mind several times. I did my procedure with FUE mainly due to minimal scarring and pain, less chance of infection, and faster healing as compared to strip method.

Putting money aside with the FUE procedure, the worse case scenerio if I had 0% growth, at least I would not have any visible scar to show for it. This was my thought process and didn't think twice when I scheduled my procedure. Thankfully after one year, my results came out okay. The only regret I have is not doing it sooner.

Life is all about risk. Nothing is guarantee no matter which clinic you choose. But if you choose the right doctor, the rewards of a hair transplant journey will far outweight the risks. It will truly change your life and the way you perceive yourself to the world.

Until you have the courage to pull the trigger, do more research on your potential doctors and read everything there is to know about hair transplants.

hair1978,

I applaud your mindset and thank you for your insight.

I think i have done enough research needed......i guess it is now having the courage to go ahead with it.

Kind regards.

Micky85,

Cheers for the kind words, we have chatted briefly before....will be in touch again, i am now at the stage were i try and forget about HTs altogether even though i know a successful one could change my life for the better.

Or take the risk and have a procedure done, because no matter what Dr you choose there will always be a risk of it going wrong as you well know:(

There really are some amazing surgeons out there, but maybe for me i cant take that risk of being an unsuccessful patient. Time will tell.

once again thank you for the replies.

Regards

No worries buddy. I know you are looking at FUE, which at the graft quantity you require would be very suitable. If you do have a FUE procedure and it does not turn, it would not be as bad as having a FUT procedure that does not turn because you will then have a linear scar which has it's own associated problems. I have however spoken to a few people who were as distraught and devastated as I am that did undergo an unsuccessful FUE procedure so it's not as easy as just thinking "Oh but at least I don't have a linear scar". An unsuccessful procedure can be devastating regardless of the method used. I was just unlucky to sustain complications on both the recipient and inadequate scar.

There are indeed amazing surgeons out there. But do not go in thinking they are magicians regardless of their reputation or how rare their bad results are. I have seen bad results from every single surgeon and far from just a few. Hell my Doctor is constantly regarded as one of the best in FUT in the whole world and I now consider him and his clinic absolutely incompetent and have spoken to many upset patients of his that had bad results but never went public with it..