Propecia and unprotected sex

Rocknroll

Has there been any research on this? I'm married and not currently trying for a child but wondered if its ok to have sex without a condom while on Propecia.This will be a big part of my decision with whether or not to use the drug as my wife is not keen on me using it full stop.

Is the drug only dangerous when conceiving, or can it have negative effects on women if he male partner is taking it?

Rocknroll,

Yes, there is research regarding this. According to Merck, there is no danger to a sexual partner from being exposed to the semen of a finasteride user. In fact, they also concluded that there is no danger to conceiving a child while using finasteride.

Having said that, I opted to discontinue use, in part, due to my wife's objection to it.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't assume everyone that has sex does it unprotected. That would be a pretty stupid assumption. I have protected sex regularly when picking up girls I don't know. But if I'm getting down with a Gf or someone I know and trust then I don't use protection. This Information really wasn't needed and has nothing to do with the topic but since you made incorrect assumptions on my position I thought I would clarify.

I was personally curious as to why you are careful? Diseases and infections or because of the propecia considering that's what the thread is about. The question wasn't regarding the risks of unprotected sex more the risks of unprotected sex while on propecia.

If i remeber correctly, the warnings in the Propecia box say there is a tiny risk of birth defects if conceiving on Propecia. And woman should not touch or handle the pill itself.

I dont think sex is a problem - only getting pregnent. ( And i imagone that risk is tiny)

Anyway, im suprised you can get it up on Fin ;)