Rat Media Production's Hair Transplant Experience

Hello All,

RMP is a repair case with prior multiple surgeries at other facilities one of which led to scalp necrosis. I began repair last year and he was happy with the outcome, including the transplant to an area of necrosis from prior surgeries. Because of this he requested another session of 2500 grafts to address other areas. Normally we would complete this in less than a 2 full day sessions. However, we spent 2 and half days working on the case. I explained that his case required more time and I would not want to rush it. As he mentioned I personally placed the grafts in his last session. As a matter of fact, He wanted and repeated demanded more grafts and was prepared to pay for it, but I declined and asked that we continue our incremental approach to his repair.

When he sent me an email about a problem area on his grafted site, I asked him to come into the clinic. I found that he has a limited focus of skin breakdown in the area of a prior scalp reduction scar. I cleaned the area, started him on nitropaste to reperfuse the site and limit further spread as well as placed him on antibiotic. A wound care regimen was prescribed. That is how this situation is managed. With this measure, the area should heal up and contract. I explained that he would likely loose some grafts in the necrotic site. Once the healing process is complete, we would graft the affected areas as we had for his prior areas of necrosis he presented to me with. RMP understood that prior scalp reductions and history of prior necrosis does place one at a higher risk for this happening. RMP was very satisfied and expressed gratitude for the quick action and mentioned that this was a different experience from his prior incident at another clinic. He was clearly reassured. He was to return for a follow up shortly. a coupe of days later, my email carrier was down. In that time RMP had emailed me and received a delivery failure message. He has in the past been able to reach me by phone and i have an emergency phone contact system for direct access as needed. The following day, RMP contacted my office and on the phone wondered if he should continue his nitropaste. I encouraged that he does. he again expressed satisfaction at the healing and confirmed that in his opinion the necrosis is contained.

So yes, it came to me as a surprise reading certain accounts on the forums. But it is something I have an understanding for. From no fault of their own, a good portion of my patients are repair cases, many have been placed in a very poor and sometimes impossible place (esthetically and emotionally) by their prior poor surgical experiences. Anxiety over a possible replay of such past experiences often plagues our interactions. Hand holding in these instances is key. In this situation even an email bounce back may become a source of panic. I am used to this and have been prepared to always take this into account in our interactions. This understanding has been invaluable in dealing with even the most difficult situations. We are all humans and our actions do get influenced by our past experiences.

I am a volunteer faculty at UCLA dermatology and I have residents and medical students shadow me every now and again. In these instances I have a teaching responsibility. So in a 4-5 hours session of extracting grafts words do get spoken. It is all in a professional setting.

I do not have a confidentiality waiver/agreement/document barring my patients from discussing their outcome. I have a clause in my consent that enables me/my clinic to respond to allegations about my work. I am sure all would consider this fair. I understand that RMP has decided to rework his posts in keeping with the clarity he has about the situation. It is big of him to have done so.

Best to all.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rat Media,

While I appreciate and respect your patient-physician relationship with the doctor in question AND the fact that you're working this out behind the scenes, this doesn't change the nature of the information shared publicly on the forums, nor does it negate the physician's opportunity to explain and clarify.

We do our best to run an open, honest, fair community, and providing both the patient the opportunity to share the situation and the physician the chance to reply helps keep this balanced environment.

Thank you for understanding.

It's always good to hear both sides! ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Guys,

RMP's posts and responses to it were starting to get a bit confusing due to conversations taking place on multiple threads. In particular, I didn't feel right allowing continued discussion about RMP's case on Dr. Radha's topic and another old topic related to one of Dr. Mohmand's patients.

Thus, I've created a new thread and moved all of RMP's posts and those related to it to a new topic. I suspect however, that the topic may be a bit disorganized and I apologize for that. However, those who decide to read through the entire topic should get the total picture.

Thanks to RMP and Dr. Umar for providing their input on this topic.

Best wishes,

Bill

P.S. I've also added a similar note to the first post on this topic in order to prevent confusion to those who find and read this topic.

• 3 weeks later...
Mr. NK,

Did you have that scar and dent in your recipient area before the HT?

If not and it was caused by the HT I would be asking...no demanding, repair from the Doctor. He said everything was fine the whole time. strange. He should have been taking close care when he saw Necrosis forming. Whenever Ive seen Necrosis it never turns out good. That's serious stuff. I wish you all the best with whatever you decide to do. Good luck.

its almost healed thanks to Dr Umar's undivided help, thanks dr Umar once again:D

NOTE by Moderator:

RMP's posts and responses to it were starting to get a bit confusing due to conversations taking place on multiple threads. In particular, I didn't feel right allowing continued discussion about RMP's case on Dr. Radha's topic and another old topic related to one of Dr. Mohmand's patients.

Thus, I've created a new thread and moved all of RMP's posts and those related to it to a new topic. I suspect however, that the topic may be a bit disorganized and I apologize for that. However, those who decide to read through the entire topic should get the total picture.

Thanks to RMP and Dr. Umar for providing their input on this topic.

----

Mine began 1 week after surgery, i am on antibiotics and nitro-ointment , that actually help circulation, its getting better , tell me what your doctor is doing for u, i will post a picture...

Thank s

George

aim4hair

Edited - Ok my bad, i didnt know you already had your procedure with Dr. Umar.

I removed my post though since there is no need for it anymore.

I am confused there was a misunderstanding with the post i put several weeks back that i was answering a post on necrosis , i resolved my issue and deleted my post because Dr Umar was getting some negative feedback and that wasn't my intention at all. I was trying to reply only to the other patient since i experienced this before , I have the upmost respect in dr Umar and his professionalism as well.I will be doing more work with Dr Umar. I apologize for any issues that this has caused since the patient was discussing him and another doctor, Thanks

Edited by Rat Media Productions
adding