Scalp Micropigmentation: Evolving Cosmetic Procedure for Hair Loss or Just a Fad?

Scalp micropigmentation has recently garnered a great deal of interest from a variety of individuals interested in cosmetically concealing their hair loss and/or hair transplant scar. But is SMP an evolving procedure or just a fad?

We've answered this and other important questions by publishing content on scalp micropigmentation (SMP) on the Hair Loss Learning Center.

To learn more about Scalp Micropigmentation, its advantages and disadvantages, temporary versus permanent SMP and who makes a good candidate, click here.

What is your opinion?

Best wishes,

Bill

I have been doing some research on this.

I personally, at this point in my life would only feel comfortable using it for my donor scar. Luckily, I have no need for it, as it is very good. I still don't trust the long term results of smp, including the fact that temporary is actually temporary. (more on that)

I have been looking at guys shave down and using smp and I have to be honest, on most people it looks ridiculous. Especially the guys who go for the NW1 look. There are some cases where it looks good, but I worry that the pt goes slick bald eventually that it will not look good. One alternative may be to do a moderate density FUE all over the top of the head and add smp.

My next point would be this notion that the temporary is in fact temporary. I am just taking someone's word that it is. I would like to see several cases where the pt is shaved down 2 years (or more) later and there is no evidence that they had smp. From my understanding from some other forums I have read is that temporary smp is actually "mostly-temporary". I would like to see a bit more research done.

SMP is definitely getting better and more high-def, I would just like to see more long-term reseach.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Haircut, is that you? That is pretty depleted, have you had FUR also? You're profile says you are like 63 years old, but that person doesn't look near that old.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

Thanks for adding 10 years to my age :-) Yes, that is me. I am rather depleted although some of the best HT surgeons in the country tell me that I have between 800 and 1500 grafts left to harvest. Saving those for my temple corners.