Did anyone benefit from using Finesteride? Any feedback?

HairlessHero

Hello dear fellow forum members,

If you anyone of you have been using Finesteride (propecia/proscar or generic), could you please share your positive experiences like hair growth, hair loss stopping, etc. and how long it took for your to see the results, etc. I saw a lot of negative experiences, but not much on the positive side. I recently started using Finesteride, and I will share my experience as I make progress. Thanks.

:)

I was losing alot of hair fast over a 3 year period. The loss continued until about 3 months of being on the drug. At that point, the drug seemed to "Kick in". Now, almost 3 years later, I have not really lost any more hair and it has strengtehn my temple points. Keep in mind that my top was mostly gone so it is the crown I am trying to keep and it has done a very good job at that so far.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Hairless, I have been taking generic Fin the past 6 years and started Rogaine 3 years ago. The Fin definetely helped thicken my crown area over all. I think the impact was definetely noticeable. By adding the Rogaine I really feel it has helped my hair not miniturize as fast. Spex had a great post a while back on the benefits of Rogaine. Keep this in mind. A person experiencing MPB and does nothing his hairs go thru a miniturization s.p. phases. Basically they get finer and finer then fall out. The Fin and Rogaine help thicken a certain amount of hairs, making them more dense and actually promote growth in certain areas like the crown. Some guys swear it has worked well on temporal areas and in the front of scalp, but I personally haven't seen any improvements in these areas. Without batting an eye, Fin has worked for me and Rogaine has too.

I've had no side effects in 3 years (I'm still as rampant as I was at 16, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know) and the only effect has been that my hair has improved a hell of a lot.

It's worked very well for me so far.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Thanks to you all for sharing those encouraging comments and positive experiences. This is the beauty of this forum that we all share our experiences and support each other. I remember that one of the doctors that I recently interacting was saying that Finasteride is a vitamin to our hair, just keep on taking to maintain existing hair, and possibly regrowth some recently lost hair. Thanks.

Only issue is we have no idea how long it will continue to work. I'm a bit paranoid that it's slowly losing effect....but others have been on it for 10-15 years and it continues to work well for them. You don't know how it will work for you, or how long it'll work for you, until you try it...

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 weeks later...

I re-started using Finesteride (generic) about 3 months back, and I see that my existing hair become stronger now. Not sure about any new hair coming though. I used this drug for a couple of years earlier, and stopped for a year or so, and saw a lot of hair loss. So, re-started.

Hopefully, I get some new hair (atleast the ones that recently affected).

Hi guys

I'm a 29 year old male living in the UK and looking for some advice. I've only just recently realised that I'm going thin in my crown area. My dad is completely bald and lost his hair very early on when he was 19. Pretty sure it's classic male pattern baldness. Been using Rogain extra strength for around 6 months and I don't seem to be getting any thinner, but I've only just accepted the fact that it's happening so obviously looking for help and my hair loss may have started over a year or so ago.

I'm planning on visiting my doctor and asking about Finesteride as I've read some good things about it. My only concern is that I've also that impotence and other sexual related issues can occur as a side effect, the last thing a man needs to hear! Anyone know of any information regarding this or has experienced any problems?

So far I have only visisted a clinic and also have a question about low level laser treatments but didn't want to hijack this thread!

Thanks

Hi Hairless. Yes it worked very well for me, but because i am one of the minority who is experiencing a side effect after only 4 years of using, sadly i have had to stop using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses so far.

ismith, I some some cases on this forum that some people started experiencing side effiects but after some regular use, they reported that the side effects subsided. But, the experience may be different for each person. You doctor is the best person to consult with.

Antony, I thought one would start experiencing side effects in the first few weeks/months of using Finesteride, and I saw people discontinuing the use. But I did not cases where the side effects kicked off after 4 years. Sorry to know about this. I see there are some DHT blockers, and you may find those beneficial. Thanks.

HairlessHero,

My personal experience with finasteride has been pretty good. While I don't believe I experienced any hair regrowth, I believe it's helped me to maintain the existing hair I have below my crown. Hair transplant surgery was responsible for all the hair I had on top of my head. I also haven't experienced any side effects on Propecia.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bill. I recently re-started using generic Finasteride (FINAX) about 3 months back, and I saw my hair getting thicker about 2 months after regular use. That gives me more hope and confidence that in the coming months, I may see some more improvement (atleast I may not lose any more native hairs!!). I do not have any side effects.

i have taking propecia more than one year..the results was exxelent..i stopped loosing hair and my hair is much much better..i have noticed that my sperm gone waterly and the morning erections is very rarely...sometimes during sex i lost my erection...i ask an adrologist and told me to stop it immediattly...i ask an urologist and told me is not a problem..i make anylazes all my hormons is normal but my sperm is a little weak.(i have to say here that i had erection problems and before propecia)

..nothing to concern he told me and that is ok to continue...but i read all these scary side effects and i stopped it for two weeks now...my erections are better and the morning erections start again...the scary thing is that i start to losing many hair again...i really dont know what to do and which doctor i have to believe...any help pls?? if i would know that my side effects are these i can deal with that and defenetly continue propecia...do you think that i can take that risk?

Ano1986, sorry to know about your situation. But, there are some topical DHT inhibitors (look under Get Your Treatment area on this website) that you may want to consider in lieu of Finesteride. Also, some supplements like Saw Palmetto, Biotin, Zinc, etc. are showing good results for some people. Research on these topicals/suppliments and talk to your doctor to check if any other those are suitable/good for you. Good luck, bro.

I experienced libido side effects when I first started taking proscar, but pushed through it and side effects subsided. As for results it's month 6 and I think it has helped a little hoping it will continue to get better by 1 year mark

• 7 months later...

I think this is an effective drug from what I have seen. I took it for about two years, and I can't really say whether or not it helped me. I did have some minor side effects that went away. After a while, I just decided that I did not like taking the drug. Just a personal decision.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1