My consult with dr. umar

hi,

I had a consult with dr. umar in redondo beach. he said i have a good amount of donor hair from my head and beard and chest hair. i asked him about using toppik, gel and hair die after the procedure. his answer was i should wait around 6 months after the procedure but everyone else i have talked to and the research on the internet all say you can use hair products after 2 weeks from the hair surgery. why such a big difference?

thanks =)

Let me see if I can help clarify. There are two issues in mind. First is the issue of healing. Most patients recipient areas will be healed by two weeks post-op with most if not all of the scabbing and crusts gone. So the concern is that patients are not applying concealers to the area before it has healed.

Not that I am speaking for Dr. Umar, but I think he may be eluding to the fact that after 6 months post-op, you may feel that you no longer need the concealers. That's the second point. He may feel that there would be enough regrowth at 6 months for you to evaluate the desire for continued use.

You can obviously use the concealers throughout the regrowth period and then after one year, your potential procedure would be fully matured.

Hope that makes some sense.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Great choice of doctor. Follow his after care instructions to the tee.

Atticus

hi,

I had a consult with dr. umar in redondo beach. he said i have a good amount of donor hair from my head and beard and chest hair. i asked him about using toppik, gel and hair die after the procedure. his answer was i should wait around 6 months after the procedure but everyone else i have talked to and the research on the internet all say you can use hair products after 2 weeks from the hair surgery. why such a big difference?

thanks =)

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

If i dont use anything for 6 months then i dont want to want to go anywhere outside the house without a hat and i wouldn't want to go to work because I dont want everyone to know about it. But why would dr umar say 6 months and everyone else I talk to including doctors say that i can use toppik after 2 weeks? I am sure all those other doctors dont want their clients to lose their transplanted hairs from using hair products after 2 weeks from the surgery.

i asked him about using toppik, gel and hair die after the procedure. his answer was i should wait around 6 months after the procedure but everyone else i have talked to and the research on the internet all say you can use hair products after 2 weeks from the hair surgery.

You definitely could use toppik and gel a couple weeks after the surgery. But how large will your procedure be? If he is going to shave your head (which he seems to do for his larger procedures) then you won't be able to use any hair product for awhile. He may just want you to play it safe post-op. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

5K-6K grafts definitely means you're shaving. You won't have any hair to style or shake toppik onto for a few months anyways.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group