Decisions and Options on Reversal? Laser or Extraction

I posted only once previously and I have come to terms with the notion that instead of continuing with further restoration, I rather retract and shave it. Reason for doing so is I had one procedure done already 3 years ago..and the results and density is just not natural or up to par and the rest of the hair is thinning and fading fast despite use of propecia etc. On top of that..major sides from the meds since I've been on them since age of 20.

I am now 34 and want to just reverse the process best way possible. I have met in person with many top docs who want me to just remain on the meds and camouflage but I feel that is just not an option at this time for I have no idea as to how progressive my hair will become and my hair is so fine/thin that I doubt I'd really get a great natural looking result. With that, the hair in the front hairline was 800 grafts used.. very fine and some look natural..others look thicker and others show the roots in the skin. I want them gone. But now there is question as to best way to remove them? I have been told by two doctors... extract all grafts or as much as possible and replace back into donor scar... (but will that cause more scaring up front and just cause a whole other array of self consciousness?) Also, the whopping 10,000 to pay to go along with that.

The other option I was told was no need to extract any since out of bad transplants (1-10 ranking, with 10 being the worst) I was informed mine was a 1. So just laser remove all the grafted hairs and address any scaring if any at that time, since its easier to do and less evasive and less risk. However, that then means possible native hair being lost and those hairs can't be used to put back into donor. Instead would have to FUE from elsewhere into donor, and cause more scaring back there.

I am gonna get rid of these grafts one way or another, and shave my head down to a 0 guard or bic it. I'm done with the anxiety and worry especially with the drugs. Time to just live. But out of those options...any experience or recommendations? Anyone had hairline removed without adding and the skin looks perfectly fine? Or anyone had to use laser hair removal instead? Thanks for the help..

Wherefromhere,

I have been in your situation to the extent that I wanted out. There are several options.

Firstly, could you estimate how many badly angled hairs/grafts there are? You mention 800 in the front, but what about the rest?

10,000 seems like an insane amount to remove and re-plant 800 grafts - it IS insane!

The options for you might include;

1) Cutting or shaving the offending hair.

2) extracting them and re-planting them

3) The use of SMP in the poor areas and scars

4) all above plus some extra FUE in strategic places for texture.

5) A linear front strip forehead lift, thereby extracting a lot the old hairllne.

6) Temporary bleach or hair coloring

Say you progress to NW6, and you have one strip scar and a patch of transplanted hair on the hairline area.

Do you think you could live with a buzzed look?

How bad is the color contrast of those roots with the skin.

Is your hair likely to grey any time soon?

Clinics prefer to camouflage - it is low risk.

Extracting the grafts can leave redness, pinkness, and scarring, however it can also bring immediate relief.

I am in a similar situation. If I grow my hair long enough for the illusion to kick in- I look decent, but have a balding top and crown that I can't stand (others can't really see it, but it drives me nuts) If I buzz my hair the hair is too thin to work well and I also have some iffy SMP that I think is fading pretty quickly.

Anyway, what is the deal? How many grafts are you talking about?

Thanks for the input guys.. well I can't quite tell how many would exactly have to be removed, put they are very thin and some others are 2/3 hair grafts up front. Buzzing or shaving them as they are now would definitely reveal grafts or implants due to the color contrast to native hair. I was trying to determine if its best to extract most of the offending grafts from hairline to be placed back into donor scar, but overall the donor scar won't bother me too much. It literally goes from the right back of my scalp to over my right ear. The color contrast from my skin is my skin is fair but the roots of the hair look like black specs embedded into skin.. and some thicker than others due to the 2/3 hairs. I look hard at my hairline and can't tell if there is really any underlying scaring or pitting, but in certain lighting it looks like there is discoloration or more reflective tissue. Otherwise looks fairly normal. But I do know I would like these grafts gone and get on with my life and buzz or shave down...just trying to figure out what is best option and trying to do so without revealing to the world transplant while trying to fix it. For I heard even if gone the laser route, have to shave down the area being lasered. Which will again reveal unnatural hairline/grafts. I will try to post a pic on here if I can... possibly to the profile?

Where,

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but would you re-consider an additional procedure?

I just took a look at your photographs, and it looks like a second hair transplant procedure would really increase the density and soften the current appearance.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thin hair.. that will get you every time. I feel most docs don't talk about that with their thin hair patients

I am not a doctor and these opinions are my own. I actually flunked out of college because I couldn't write or spell. I represent no clinic. I only have a doctor picture so you will automatically trust in the things I say.

I have and originally thought about just doing further procedures etc, but the problem with that is that I will only cause more scaring in back and never achieve a fully natural or great end result due to how thin my hair is getting and the unpredictable pattern of loss. On top of that, despite the hairloss drugs etc, my hair is still going and I don't want to do a lifetime of procedures that only lead to less than undetectable results. My hair in back is already becoming see through especially when I sweat. I feel that I fell for this hook, line, and sinker despite my fear of the unknown. I was told that I can be as greedy as I want and add as much hair as I want from the beginning. I keep getting told even by other top doctors that its not bad work but yes is detectable. Which makes me wonder ok, does that mean with further work it will still be detectable etc? I want to just be done with this process for the psychological ramifications and impact it has had is just disheartening. I still have native hair that camouflages somewhat but my native hair basically feels like its not even there. Even though I hate having to face that I am not blessed with great genetics in the hair department, I much rather just be natural and have a shaved head opposed to offending grafts. I don't know what to do and even top IHRS doctors don't offer much advice or offer to help make me back to normal best as possible. I really would like to know the best step to have a natural look back and get on with my life. I am obviously not a suitable candidate for future restoration based on hair quality, and just the impact this has had emotionally. Some doctors I have seen remove full hairlines and such, but also to add more grafts with more restoration. I want these grafts just gone without adding to hairline.. But I don't know with how thin my hair is that would extracting them just cause unwanted scaring in a horseshoe pattern along skin of hairline? Or leave red marks all along the skin that would take forever to go away? Or just do laser which I fear you have to shave down anyways and kill all native hair along with it which in the meantime the hair is still growing would reveal to the world I have grafts up front. In the big picture, who cares I had a transplant. But in the world of anyone who has had one and such, they don't want to expose themselves in that light till they are comfortable with the result. So I can definitely use some help on this from anyone who has had to do the same.

• Like 1

It is slightly humorous that Future HT Doc's answer is "another HT" : )

WherefromHere, I understand how you are feeling . I must have skipped over the parts where people talk about fine hair, and the "see through" look.

However!! I would reach out Dr. Sanusi Umar, he seems to do things, and try things differently.

Thank you, as you can tell I have probably done extensive research on repair and corrections. Sadly I have even thought about just doing SMP just to cover up anything, but I don't think that is the best route to take and can lead to another whole array of troubles. I did see Dr Umar before and have reached out, but I can be positive I refuse to place any non scalp hair on my head for even transplanted scalp hair seems to have a wire like texture to it. And body hair just does not look natural. Any recommendations you can make that can give me on removing these grafts for most seamless appearance would be appreciated.

I believe Dr. Umar would do exactly what you want. Take those nasty dirty barely legal grafts out.

Have you reach out with Jana with the Shapiro group? What are these doctors saying? No its not possible? Or they will only do "another HT"?

As previously mention, because your just removing grafts, the 10,000 is not a realistic price. If the avg FUE graft is 5, I'm sure you can go less then that, if all a doctor is doing is pulling the graft out; but I honestly don't know.

You also might want to that with a different kind of head doctor . You post reads like this is taking a big toll on you I feel you would gain some huge insights if you were able to unload your worries with a professional.

I agree with that and yes I am even talking to a professional about that as well. But I believe anyone who feels trapped, and people who choose to enhance their appearance with a natural look, but fail to achieve that feel like a fraud and even worse for possibly disfiguring themselves. That's how I feel at least. As far as Shapiro, Rahal, Bernstein etc. I believe most doctors will do exactly what you ask them to do without really offerings much advice beyond that. I visited each office and most have recommended the same thing, can take out the larger grafts that I don't like but add another 800 grafts to camouflage. Yes that would lead to a more natural appearance in front and add density and softer appearance. Sounds great, but I am not looking any longer for just short term. The rest of my hair is truly getting very thin, even in donor area. At first I was looking to just add and stay ahead of it when visiting their offices, but the more I come to terms with it, I can tell that can lead me down a dangerous road. So I feel that most doctors since they didn't get me in this position in first place, will only offer enhancing with more. But when I reach back out about helping me get back to normal without adding, I don't get much help in that regard. Dr Umar did state through email to come in and add fue into donor hair and he can look at hairline, but stated that is quite a hard process and can lead to worse issues due to scaring. Again makes me feel quite trapped. I have been told to just laser the hairline and seems easy enough, but if there is scaring beneath, then it's there when could have been removed with extracted grafts. This whole process is confusing and disheartening. And a position I said I never wanted to be in prior to the procedure, but yes it is my fault for believing the original doctor and not doing extensive research at that time for being ashamed of even thinking I needed to go down this road the first time.

Let me add Dr Bernstein was the only doctor who was honest enough to state more restoration would be unreasonable without knowing the pattern of my hairloss and the texture of the hair. Basically he stated all I thought in my own head.. Which was what confused me with other offices cause I tried to keep asking those questions as in will me adding now only suit me short term than long term. Then it got to point of being asked.. Do you want to book procedure or not. Makes it hard to know if best for me is in mind other than yes able to give me a more natural look up front, but for how long till the rest of the hair goes and how fast?

You have sound advice (I feel) in here, no body is going to say what you want to hear.

You don't want to buzz it, because it will look bad

You don't want get "another ht" because your worried aboout future loss

You don't want to "lazer" the grafts because of scaring

You don't want to just remove the grafts... not sure why

You don't want to wait and you don't want to move forward.

The only thing you haven't said, is what you really want what you really really want.. IT SOUNDS, like you want "another HT".. you keep coming back to wanting to improve your hair.

so Mr. Future Doc, was correct, .

or challange yourself, and try out a hair piece. It will give you the exactly kind of hair and look you want.

You definitely hit the nail on the head. I come up with a reason for not doing each but I'm trying hardest to move forward instead of waiting and standing still. Do I want more hair, obviously I do. I rather not be losing my hair in the first place. Issue is however that my hairloss is not stable and not patterned and quality is quite thin.. Do I want another HT by all means if I knew the results would be well worth it and I would have enough hair to reach an aesthetic and natural result. When I reach out for advice I am looking for individuals who have gone what particular route to reverse the process and may talk of experience who may have been in same position. You are correct that each route causes anxiety that comes with it, and I want to choose a direct route that reverses the process with least evasiveness but also least downtown or revealing of a procedure if even possible. I have seen pictures online of people removing whole hairline but pictures can't really tell a whole story and that is why I still hesitate since I am curious to healing and results from such a procedure. Everything you mentioned I already know, but I am here to gain insight from those who been down a certain path with what outcome. Not just recommendations from those who haven't. I have come to terms with the fact that no more transplants for me until possibly later in life where I know where my hairloss may even go. There is a risk either route you take, and graft extraction is most favorable since its quite quick but I am curious of the skin condition after such a procedure by someone who has actually gone through with it. Only reason why I'm standing still is to be as informative as possible that could lead to the most natural result and be free from the worry of constant hairloss. As in has someone done electrolysis, done laser hair removal, or actually done the extraction with a fairly good result. Thanks for the input and this is to build knowledge by experience.

Where,

In the pic of the scar, is your hair wet?

Do you have any more pics, from the top?

Reason I ask is because like you, I also had abt 800 grafts into my hairline a few years ago. We are close to the same age, and from your pics, seems we have similar, diffusely thinning hair on top.

I considered multiple options, and am very close to going under for my 2nd procedure. I convinced myself from the start that this would be at least a 3-4 surgery journey, and am scared as hell at the thought of removing my grafts and the scarring that may or may not come with it.

Anyway, just presenting a different thought/opinion from someone in a very similar position. Interested in seeing what you choose to do.

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

It is slightly humorous that Future HT Doc's answer is "another HT" : )

It's my honest opinion. If I felt like another therapy, surgical or not, was better suited, I would have recommend it. I promise :).

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Spiral,

my hair is wet... after a workout. So yeah it shows through, and when dry when my hair is cut short it shows through. With the way my hair is now, when dry and after a shower, i look like I have a full head of hair, because I do have a full head of hair... but that is with the help of the 800 grafts up front. I'll admit, I was told I probably wouldn't need another procedure for life and despite the fact I knew hairloss was progressive the sound of that sounded good. But I did get told I could be as greedy as I want with my own hair and add as much hair as I'd like, but of course that is also unrealistic. I'll admit I thought my hair looked ok despite the grafts being a little different from the native hair, but the native hair blended in better at the time. I have visited many top doctors, and they all state another procedure of 800 grafts can be done at this time to soften the look and look way more natural and camouflage it all. But with this experience, and the texture/quality of my hair...I know that I would be locked into transplants for life. And if at my age when I sweat etc, or get wet and see my scar through the hair now, I can only imagine all the scars I will have when this is all done with and chasing hairloss my whole life. Hell, the side effects of the hairloss drugs kill me and quality of life just isn't great since I'm not worried about anything other than my hair. I don't think I want that for life, doesn't sound like a great life to look forward to at all! All the girls I even meet now don't get my attention cause they are attracted to me, but I feel I am a fraud and or I will have to keep up this charade. I really wish I waited or I had the best information at hand... I think HT's can work great for those who already were mostly bald. Otherwise, you will constantly worry about further hairloss and the transplant becoming noticeable. I am somewhat fortunate to be in a position that I can shave my head after removing these grafts through laser or such, and the scar I have is just on the right back side of my head..and not ear to ear. That life just sounds so much better since the constant anxiety and worry will no longer be there..and I can just be free. Of course I worry how I look with no hair... but its still me and I won't have anything to hide. I think I will be going that route... laser removal and some graft extraction of the bigger/pitted hairs.

I'm sorry if I missed this, but have you actually buzzed - and seen first hand how this looks, assessed how you feel?

It is easy for me to get into a loop. Buzz, relief, flat, grow-out, buzz.. and each time I think I am making a resolution, like I have finally settled, only to change again.

Did Dr. Umar say you can replant the extracted hair at the front?

I've never buzzed before and with position I'm in now with the unnatural grafts at front can't buzz till removed or lasered. I do feel painted into a corner but I either have to accept what God has set for me or keep trying to endlessly chase and keep myself fighting loss while still having side effects from drugs etc. This is a very tough and basically disheartening situation. But it is what it is..

• 4 months later...

I have seen it advertised that laser hair removal and fraxel resurfacing can help correct old hair transplant plugs. I have not heard of anyone who undergone the procedure, but have seen one before and after photo that looked good.