Starting concealer use, need advice

I want to hide some thin spots using concealer but have some questions. I use topicals and I am afraid of using them with concealers as they will inhibit its absorption. I usually wash my hair every morning, towel dry, apply my minox foam and head out. During the evening I put on minox liq, wait an hour or so then head to bed. I can't seem to figure out how I would be able to incorporate concealer use.

So how do those that use topicals also use concealer? What is your routine? Just want to say thanks now for all the input

I want to hide some thin spots using concealer but have some questions. I use topicals and I am afraid of using them with concealers as they will inhibit its absorption. I usually wash my hair every morning, towel dry, apply my minox foam and head out. During the evening I put on minox liq, wait an hour or so then head to bed. I can't seem to figure out how I would be able to incorporate concealer use.

So how do those that use topicals also use concealer? What is your routine? Just want to say thanks now for all the input

I'm absolutely hooked on Nanogen! It takes my hair back to what it looked like 5 or 6 years ago.

I don't apply minox in the morning so I towel dry and allow to dry naturally, add some Nanogen to the mid scalp (not too near the hairline), apply a bit of gel to style, and then 4 or 5 sprays of the locking mist.

It is a pain at night but I stick my head under the bath tap to wash out the fibres, allow my hair to dry for 5-10 minutes, then apply regaine.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I too love Nanogen.

I put on Minox about an hour before bed. Wake up, shower, towel and blow dry.

Then I liberally apply Nanogen. I apply it on crown and the front. For the front hairline I carefully place the side of my left hand against my forehead at my hairline, thumb out over left eye and other fingers over right eye. Sprinkle Nanogen over hairline. Nanogen that would hit forehead is captured by the left hand blocking forehead. Then I take a quick look with a hand mirror reflecting off my bathroom mirror to see how it all looks. If it looks good I then turn on my hairdryer and wave it slightly over my head which blows away any excess Nanogen and gives it a more natural look and feel. Then I look again with hand mirror reflecting off main sink mirror and if it all looks natural I spray on the locking mist and I'm good to go.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I too love Nanogen.

I put on Minox about an hour before bed. Wake up, shower, towel and blow dry.

They I liberally apply Nanogen. I apply it on crown and the front. For the front hairline I carefully place the side of my left hand against my forehead at my hairline, thumb out over left eye and other fingers over right eye. Sprinkle Nanogen over hairline. Nanogen that would hit forehead is captured by the left hand blocking forehead. Then I take a quick look with a hand mirror reflecting off my bathroom mirror to see how it all looks. If it looks good I then turn on my hairdryer and wave it slightly over my head which blows away any excess Nanogen and gives it a more natural look and feel. Then I look again with hand mirror reflecting off main sink mirror and if it all looks natural I spray on the locking mist and I'm good to go.

Good idea with the hairdryer. I'll try that at the weekend.

Dyeing my hair with Just For Men light brown = perfect match for Nanogen Medium Brown!

Good idea with the hairdryer.

I'll try that at the weekend.

Matt it works great for me, but there is a bit of an art to using the hairdryer on the Nanogen...at first I was holding it too close and too direct...now I hold it a pretty good ways away and use it to just lightly "touch-up" the Nanogen. After experimenting a few times you'll find the perfect sequence.

Thanks for the replies guys, great advice. So what I think I will do is wash my hair in the morning, apply the minox(foam) wait 15-20mins for it to dry, apply my nanogen, blow dry, and before my night application of minox, wash my hair again.

Couple more questions, how can I get the locking spray(not from the nanogen site because it keeps giving me an error when I try to order. Which is why I ordered nanogen fibers from this site's shop)? Also is water enough to get the fibers out or do I need to shampoo?

how can I get the locking spray...not from the nanogen site because it keeps giving me an error when I try to order. Which is why I ordered nanogen fibers from this site's shop?

I have suggested they put the Nanogen and locking spray all on the same page of the store. I told them I thought they would sell 2-3 times more locking spray than they do now....because nobody sees it....it's hard to find. Who knows why they don't do this, but at least I tried.

Here is the link to the Nanogen Locking Spray/Mist:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/product/121/Nanogen-Locking-Mist/

Thanks for the replies guys, great advice. So what I think I will do is wash my hair in the morning, apply the minox(foam) wait 15-20mins for it to dry, apply my nanogen, blow dry, and before my night application of minox, wash my hair again.

Couple more questions, how can I get the locking spray(not from the nanogen site because it keeps giving me an error when I try to order. Which is why I ordered nanogen fibers from this site's shop)? Also is water enough to get the fibers out or do I need to shampoo?

When you say blow dry, I assume you mean to 'touch up' a la Shampoo..

I'm not sure how well the fibres will attach to hair strands if they are coated in foam/solution. Got to be worth a try.

I can get the nanogen out fairly easily with no shampoo - just quite warm tap water and gentle finger massage does the trick. I only rinse where the fibres were and don't wash all my hair.

The locking spray is essentially the same as a normal women's firm hold hairspray (so I'm told, although I've yet to try buying one).

I really like the Nanogen locking spray...yeah it's pricey....but it has a somewhat pleasant odor and to me it's not as "sticky" as women's hairspray...but that's just personal preference.

Edited by Shampoo

Shampoo,As a regular forum participant with over 100 posts, you know you can buy Nanogen and other hair loss products via our hair loss treatment shop at 20% off right?

Bill

Bill I buy most of my hairloss products via the forum's hair loss treatment shop. Over the last year or so I have probably spent hundreds of dollars in the forum hair loss treatment shop. I love the shop except I wish whoever is in charge of the shop would put the Nanogen Concealer and the Nanogen Locking Spray on the same page or at least in some way link the two so when someone purchases Nanogen Concealer they see that the Nanogen spray exists and is available on the same site. As far as the discount I think I have taken advantage of it during some type of promotion you let me know about, but if you are saying I get a 20% off every time....is that somehow automatic off my post count or do I need to insert some type of discount code/ect upon checkout?

I have suggested they put the Nanogen and locking spray all on the same page of the store. I told them I thought they would sell 2-3 times more locking spray than they do now....because nobody sees it....it's hard to find. Who knows why they don't do this, but at least I tried.

Here is the link to the Nanogen Locking Spray/Mist:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/product/121/Nanogen-Locking-Mist/

Thank you!!!

When you say blow dry, I assume you mean to 'touch up' a la Shampoo..

I'm not sure how well the fibres will attach to hair strands if they are coated in foam/solution. Got to be worth a try.

Ill let you know how it works out

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a small Nanogen bottle in the mail today to test it. I'm really surprised at how well it covers, but I can see I need a bit of practice. Tomorrow I'll try the hairdryer trick after washing and drying as I have some clumping, and because I have white hair it looks like dandruff. But you have to get very close to see that.

I'm 6 months in from my HT, and the front half is growing quite well, about an inch now. But it's not enough to cover as I can still see my scalp through it. Maybe 30% cover. The Nanogen does help conceal that a little, but I've probably got another 3 -6 months growth to go before I see decent coverage overall.

So anyone have any tips to get good even coverage with the Nanogen?

I shake it fairly close to my hair, sometimes banging it occasionally on my scalp, but it doesn't seem like much is coming out. It takes a while, maybe a minute of shaking - while looking in a hand mirror to see the back - to get any sort of cover with it. Could it also be coloring the scalp as well as static-clinging to the hair? I don't see the hair fibers getting covered in the same fir tree way the ad shows it.

My crown is still quite bald, I guess it's a NW7 on its own, and I'm covering it with hair from a side part in a combover style. The Nanogen makes that look less like a C/O thank goodness.

It's been a long time since the crown has been as well covered!

BTW, as I do this I sometimes wonder what form of vanity has caused me to do a HT and then dab concealer on my hair. At my age I shouldn't be worried, but then I like to have things looking the best they can be... the appearance of a full head of hair helps a little way towards that, but I'm not kidding myself that I'm going to go from 60+ back to 30 in youthful looks.

Just got a small Nanogen bottle in the mail today to test it. I'm really surprised at how well it covers, but I can see I need a bit of practice. Tomorrow I'll try the hairdryer trick after washing and drying as I have some clumping

sunhead if you are getting a lot of clumping I would hold it a bit farther away while applying it. It should not be banging into your head. There is a delicate balance between being too close and too far away, but I've found holding it about 5-7 inches away allows the Nanogen to kind of fall in a way that makes it look more natural and not clumpy.

The hairdryer trick takes a bit of practice. i just barely let a quick blast of warm air flow over my hair in a waving motion. The right distance is also important here as well. I would estimate the dryer is 12-15 inches away. If done correctly you can immediately see the excess Nanogen fly away, but yet it leaves just enough Nanogen for good coverage. Sometimes you'll blow away just a tad too much and have to do a light touchup sprinkle. About once a week I may feel after applying it that it looks a bit too much and I'll have to run my comb thru it as well just to redistribute it a bit and get rid of some. Then re-do the hairdryer trick. You'll get better if you stick with it, once you're good at it, the stuff is addictive!

it doesn't seem like much is coming out. It takes a while, maybe a minute of shaking - while looking in a hand mirror to see the back - to get any sort of cover with it.

Are you sure the can is not almost empty? As the can gets more empty I notice the same thing.

Dear All,

Please find below Dr. Nigam's 1st case study of 2013 on Hair Doubling:-

Mr. Dhanesh Makwana, Age : 24

Hair Doubling Day 0

(11th Jan, 2013)

photo_01_big.jpg

photo_02_big.jpg

photo_04_big.jpg

photo_05_big.jpg

photo_06_big.jpg

photo_07_big.jpg

photo_08_big.jpg

photo_09_big.jpg

photo_10_big.jpg

photo_11_big.jpg

photo_12_big.jpg

photo_13_big.jpg

photo_14_big.jpg

photo_15_big.jpg

photo_16_big.jpg

photo_17_big.jpg

photo_18_big.jpg

photo_19_big.jpg

photo_20_big.jpg

photo_21_big.jpg

photo_22_big.jpg

photo_23_big.jpg

photo_24_big.jpg

photo_25_big.jpg

photo_26_big.jpg

photo_27_big.jpg

Day%205_1_big.jpg

Day%205_4_big.jpg

Day%205_2_big.jpg

Day%205_5_big.jpg

Day%205_3_big.jpg

PDF_1_big.jpg

Day%2010.jpg

Day10_2_big.jpg

Day_10_3_big.jpg

Day_10_5_big.jpg

Day_10_4_big.jpg

Day_10_6_big.jpg

Anyone tell me what's the significance of all these photos in Dr Nigam's post? Doesn't seem to apply to this thread and really messes up the loading time!

I agree....the dude posted this in the wrong thread. Talk about "thread drift"! Maybe Bill will move it. It basically ruins this thread and has nothing to do with this thread.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm absolutely hooked on Nanogen! It takes my hair back to what it looked like 5 or 6 years ago.

I don't apply minox in the morning so I towel dry and allow to dry naturally, add some Nanogen to the mid scalp (not too near the hairline), apply a bit of gel to style, and then 4 or 5 sprays of the locking mist.

It is a pain at night but I stick my head under the bath tap to wash out the fibres, allow my hair to dry for 5-10 minutes, then apply regaine.

I use Kirkland Minoxidil Morning and night. Only recently got some Caboki which doesn't seem to work that well after applying Minoxidil. Maybe I'd follow your lead and only apply minoxidil at night.

Yes I doubt Nanogen type concealers will work very well mixed in with Minoxidil.

I use Minoxidil at night & Nanogen in the morning after a shower & hair is completely dry.

I think Nanogen type concealers work best when applied to non-wet hair.