Today I make the change from 12.5% cream to 5% Kirkland foam

TommyLucchese

I've been a very happy Belgravia patient for 3 years now, but while my hair has improved, the bank balance has been far too depleted. I used my last lot of once a day "12.5% cream with azelaic acid" last night, and very conveniently my Kirkland 5% foam has arrived in the post an hour ago!

I did a bit of research and found most of you use the 5% and saw some posts where people ditched Belgravia for 5% foam and found it didn't affect their hair. Belgravia charge 180 for 3 months of their minoxidil...................I just got 6 months of Kirkland foam for 50. The price speaks for itself!

I'll obviously go back to Belgravia if the Kirkland 5% makes my hair get worse, but it's worth trying it out for such a cheaper price. I'm hoping actually that the foam twice a day might improve my crown a little bit, it's been hard spreading out the little dab of cream across my head and it's so expensive I didn't want to use more than indicated.

I'll keep you posted.

Does anyone think I could potentially shed hair initially now that I'm switching brands and dosage?

[edit] Thanks to Spex for the link to the cheaper goods!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Tommy,

While Azelaic Acid hasn't been proven effective in treating hair loss, in theory, it has potential to inhibit the production of the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme in human skin. 5-alph-reductase enzymes when combined with testosterone, produces DHT or dihydrotestosterone, the hormone responsible for hair loss.

Thus, it's possible that an azelaic acid / minoxidil could be more potent than minoxidil alone. However, I'm not convinced that greater concentrations of minoxidil provides any additional benefit than the 5% solution.

Hopefully, switching to minoxidil 5% will help you save money while retaining your hair. But be careful. It's much harder to regrow hair non-surgically than maintain already existing hair. Make sure you consider this reality when making a decision to switch.

Best wishes,

Bill

While Azelaic Acid hasn't been proven effective in treating hair loss, in theory, it has potential to inhibit the production of the 5-alpha-reductase enzyme in human skin. 5-alph-reductase enzymes when combined with testosterone, produces DHT or dihydrotestosterone, the hormone responsible for hair loss.

BILL, my good man! Why am I just now hearing about this? Where can I buy this?? (in the US, preferably online)

• 3 weeks later...

The reason I swapped was I thought perhaps the 5% foam twice a day could work better for my crown. There wasn't much of the cream to spread around...

Anyway now I think my hair is shedding, even though there isn't any actually falling out - it just seems thinner and more "gappy" in the mid scalp.

I've heard that if it gets worse to start with, that shows I'm responding to the meds and is a good sign......but I suppose we'll see.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon