If you take propecia does minoxidil make any difference?

thomasc

I have taken minoxidil (rogaine and then CVS brand) for the past 15 years and propecia for the past 5 years. Comparing pictures from 10 years ago, i have only lost a little bit, the regimen that helped me maintain what i have. The minoxidil, however, does make my scalp itchy and flakey so i stopped using it for one month. The itching stopped and my hair looks as healthy as it can. I continue to take procpecia. Will discontinuing minoxidil cause further loss? Does rogaine foam cause less itching?

I have taken minoxidil (rogaine and then CVS brand) for the past 15 years and propecia for the past 5 years. Comparing pictures from 10 years ago, i have only lost a little bit, the regimen that helped me maintain what i have. The minoxidil, however, does make my scalp itchy and flakey so i stopped using it for one month. The itching stopped and my hair looks as healthy as it can. I continue to take procpecia. Will discontinuing minoxidil cause further loss? Does rogaine foam cause less itching?

Yes, pretty much everyone says Foam does not cause the irritation due to the absence of certain ingredients that the liquid form has.

I stopped finpecia and my Minoxidil results were nowhere near as good from that point onwards.

The old saying applies: "If it ain't broke then don't fix it!"

When you think about it the two drugs have to work best in combination. One stops the substance that kills growth, while the other stimulates growth.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I don't believe minoxidil grown hairs are kept healthy by propecia. I don't have any science to support that theory, but the empirical evidence from most of these web sites, would indicate that you will almost certainly lose hair stopping.

The medications seem to have a synergestic effect when used together. They kind of attack hair loss from two unique mechanisms, and I think most hair loss sufferers/experts recommend using them (if no negative side effects are observed) together.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

As this thread is sort-of similar to a question I was about to post I’ll just throw it in here:

I’m currently trying “the big 3”, minoxidil (rogaine foam in this case) is giving me pretty serious headaches and has at times made my heart fill like it’s about to jump out.

I started at a cap full twice daily, cut back to ? cap full twice daily and no difference and now down to ? cap full once daily and no real difference.

My question is, will just propecia and 2% Niz really be enough to help slow down the loss? I assume yes as Minox is more for growth?

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer liquid minoxidil in aces over the foam. Foam gave me headaches as well. Most commercially available minox liquid is made with PPG which can be an irritant, so I'd personally try to get my hands on minox made with glycerin as the main agent of absorption.

Also, I hated niz 2%, felt it thrashed my hair, and have always had better results with 1%X twice per week. It's really a matter of what works best with your scalp and hair, so experiment.

Its been a month since I started Rogaine Foam. No sides and its easy to use and doesn't give that greasy look the liquid used to give me ( i used generic 5% liquid years ago ).

Started Nizoral 2% 2x a week last week. Ill use the 3rd time tomorrow. Doesn't feel bad until now.

So im on the BIG 2 right now. The 3rd one killed my p**** so stopped that :)