23 year old - hair transplant in Chicago - 3000 Grafts - Dr. Oleg Korolev -

Boardin786

Hi Guys,

This forum has been extremely helpful for me, and I thought the least I could do was share my own hair transplant experience, and maybe it can help some other people like it helped me. I understand 23 is a bit young for a hair transplant, but I wanted to get this now before I lost all my hair.

I have been conscious about my hair loss since the age of 18, and it was something that bothered me throughout college. I am sure I am not the only one, but I spent countless hours researching different paths I could use but had kinda made up my mind to get a transplant done soon after college, and thankfully I was able to do so yesterday at Dr. Oleg Korolev's office yesterday. I have used rogaine on and off, and sort of wanted to stay away from propecia cause of the side effects (still researching this.

I had communicated with Nora (consultant) for the last couple months, and also done a consultation with her back in October. I had also done consultations with Bosley and Hair Club, but Nuhart seemed the best option for me after I saw their patient results and the consultation, and that is why I decided to go with them.

My main concern was the appearance of my hairline, and that is why I asked the team to concentrate in the front and middle more, while also adding some density to my crown. All of the people did seems nice and informative, but I was a bit thrown off as the communicated in a different language to one another (Russian?). I beleive Dr. Korolev had a good understanding of my goals, and we began the procedure.

I had some excessive bleeding when the incision was made in the donor area, and I felt a bit nauseated after that happened. The doctor then had an IVY hooked on to me, and I felt better after that. Do you guys feel this is a regular occurrence and could this affect my results?

I was given internal sutures about after that happened, but generally felt fine throughout the surgery. I must say that last night was pretty tough even as I regularly took Vicodin (1 pill every 4 hours; max 2 pills/ 6 hours). The main source of my pain was the donor area. I have been icing my forehead and been laying with my head tilted backwards to prevent swelling in the front. Any recommendations to help with this pain and getting some regular sleep?

Lastly, Dr. Korolev informed me that there were mostly single units in my donor area, and about 30% were double or triple units. For better density purposes, he recommended making 2000 grafts, and adding two single units to each "hole". That is what we ended up doing because it seemed like the best option. Has anyone else experienced this?.

I was also recommended to spray my grafts with a water/table salt solution for aid in curing. I plan on rinsing my hair later today! Wish me luck and thanks for reading. I would love to hear your opinions about my experience and would be more than happy to answer any other question.

Please feel free to comment about the pictures as well!

5b32d62b2dced_Pre-Transplant1.jpg.6a55eeec4ccb76b76e6699982b3e0ff4.jpg

5b32d62b60dc9_Pre-Transplant2.jpg.01029a51170bf44a4dc621baa8c796d7.jpg

5b32d62b86f53_Pre-Transplant3.jpg.d1a33c4a70204f3e9fa25337668587f8.jpg

5b32d62ba04e9_Pre-Transplant4.jpg.4db974ab767e925719403ba1f435971e.jpg

5b32d62bb5d51_Pre-Transplant5.jpg.7fce3abe2ef318ebc05149da52020ee9.jpg

5b32d62bc489b_Pre-Transplant6.jpg.7821dc9f3c766beafa02bef7ce59425a.jpg

IMG-20130104-00120.jpg.8555735ba8c840457681b4e0bd1be42a.jpg

IMG-20130104-00125.jpg.14da946803782181fb858695986803d9.jpg

5b32d62c284a1_Post-Transplant1.jpg.e70843cf4d645dc47d2503d3f8df058f.jpg

5b32d62cadb15_Post-Transplant2.jpg.7a50138ecb6a9f4d5ba11fdab939f797.jpg

5b32d62ccb642_Post-Transplant3.jpg.cac20cb3288828f2b0f776d5e59799c5.jpg

5b32d62ce7ad5_Post-Transplant4.jpg.28ddd382722932cd4d2f0897c2b3eadb.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm surprised you opted for a transplant as your hairloss is agressive and most docs probably wouldn't have recommended it, especially as you're not taking finasteride.

Also, you have a good shaped head for the buzz cut.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Boardin786,

I have not personally heard of another patient needing to be placed on IV during surgery but perhaps others can comment on that. I doubt it will affect your final results.

Given your degree of hair loss, relatively small procedure and the fact that you had mostly 1's in your donor, I would not expect too much from this procedure. Depending upon your goals, you'll likely need at least a second pass.

Saline is commonly recommended during the healing phase.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

You are making a huge mistake in not taking propecia. Side effects are rare, and doctors have been prescribing this drugs for twenty years now. I can't emphasize enough how critical propecia is to you.

Anyways, good luck on the procedure, and keep us posted!

Placing a patient on a Normal Saline IV during hair transplant surgery is not unheard of. I've actually personally seen it done before. Some surgeons simply feel more comfortable with total control of the patient's volumetric state during the procedure.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Boardin786,

First of all, congratulations on your procedure! I admire you. It takes a lot of courage for a young man your age to take this step. Your hair loss has been bothering you for 5 years and you did something about it. You were proactive. 23 is not too young as long as you understand you'll continue to lose your native hairs. The first step I would recommend is to really get some longterm goals for your hair loss. You are very fortunate to be able to gain knowledge thru this forum. The first step I would recommend after you see how this procedure turns out, which will be a big improvement, is to assess what you really have left for donor hair and assess how aggressive your hair loss will happen. I have been on Propecia with good results for 5 years. It may stabilize your hair loss. If I were your age and you don't want to wait for hair to fall out a lot the next 10 years before a significant "3500 plus" procedure, I would really explore doing smaller less evasive procedure FUE, and maybe a couple of them in the meantime, money permitting. I would highly consider in your case to see Dr. Umar for potential body hair FUE transplants and possibly save your donor hair for a large "mega session" later on in life. Money aside why not? Stay proactive like you did in this case and feel good about the future and not reactive and just watch your native hairs fall out. Dr. Umar has done some amazing procedures and I am sure he would give you sound advice. I have posted twice on any potential body hair FUE concerns, but maybe third time will be a charm for input from some of the senior members on this form to offer their opinions.

Again, I admire your courage to improve your looks and be proactive. I wish you the best of luck.

Tom

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

update.

Looking for suggestions for the best course of action as I move forward. Sorry about the late replies. Disappointed with the results thus far, obviously, but looking forward to making this situation better.

I'd like to hear which surgeon you guys would recommend for someone in my situation??

PhotoGrid_1412981548272.jpg.1819428de66a5a10c122128d6493d0e5.jpg

Unfortunately looks like the grafts simply did not grow. Very disappionting...talk to any of the better surgeons on here like Shapiro, HW, or Konior, and they may be able to help you out.

Have you reconsidered your stance on finasteride?

KO, yes, disappointing indeed and whats is more disappointing is the lack of follow-up from the doctor/clinic.

I have been reconsidering Finansteride. What deterred me were the bouts of testicular discomfort when I first started taking it. Only did it for a couple weeks and went away from it. Although it seems that side effects generally fades?