Minoxidil after HT

I've read that applying minoxidil to the transplanted area may help speed the growth of the grafts.

Once you reach a certain point, say 6 months, is there any point in continuing to apply minoxidil to the transplated hairs?

Not really. I'm not a huge believer that it helps your grafts grow faster, but it will help your thinning hair, so if you are experiencing hair loss in other areas, I suggest you continue using it indefinitely so you can keep as much of your native hair as possible.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The evidence isn't that strong for minoxidil post HT but it's probably sufficient to make it worthwhile. My own take on it is that any way of improving the vascularisation of newly transplanted FUs is worth trying. See this link:

Improving the Outcome of Hair Transplantation with Minoxidil « Avacor® Hair Regrowth Blog

It's also difficult to say when should stop using it post HT, but if you've got sufficient regrowth that makes it difficult to apply the minoxidil to the scalp, that may be the deciding factor. In my case, I started it one week post HT, applied it twice a day until month 4 and then just used it on the crown where growth was slower.

In my case, I started it one week post HT, applied it twice a day until month 4 and then just used it on the crown where growth was slower.

Postdoc

Did you have transplant at both crown and front? If yes, how slow was your crown growth as compared to front/mid?

When I apply the monixidil I notice that some of it is sitting on top of my hair and doesn't appear to reach my scalp. I've been debating on whether to cut my hair low in order for the monixidil to reach scalp better. If I cut my hair low would it help with the application of the monixidil or does it not matter?

When I apply the monixidil I notice that some of it is sitting on top of my hair and doesn't appear to reach my scalp. I've been debating on whether to cut my hair low in order for the monixidil to reach scalp better. If I cut my hair low would it help with the application of the monixidil or does it not matter?

I guess if you really want to maximise the minoxidil being absorbed into the scalp cutting your hair short would make sense, but I'm not sure that it would really make much difference.

Many practices like patients to use minoxidil around their surgery because it shifts a higher percentage of hairs (pre-existing and transplanted) into the anagen (growth) phase. Anagen hairs are more "sturdy", if you will, as their root is more deeply embedded than follicles in the telogen phase. The real benefit of minoxidil, therefore, is minimizing "shock loss" during the first few months after a surgery.