Donor line

It depends, but it is hard to believe that that donor is still tender after the one year mark. However, Spex is much more knowledgeable than me. In my case, the donor is no longer tender around the 2 or 3 month mark.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Actually, I don't think that the donor area remains "tender" (depending on how you define it) beyond a couple of months (sometimes less). But numbness and tightness can last several months to a year, and sometimes longer.

lovetospoon,

Yes, permanent donor numbness is possible, but very rare. Typically, the majority (if not all) the sensation will come back over time.

Best wishes,

Bill

In my case, i'm 10 weeks post op and had full feeling in the back of my head by 8 weeks, and only have a bit of numbness in my recipient area at 10 weeks, but it differs between people.

It is possible to have some permanent numbness in the head from surgery, but I've only seen this is old cases, or where posters went to a poorly skilled doctor.

As long as you do your research and don't just go to any Tom, Dick or Harry, you'll be fine.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

I am seven weeks post op - three weeks behind Petchski!

I still have very slight numbness in the donor and recipient areas, but it is definitely diminishing. Put it this way: it stopped feeling like I was touching someone else's head about 2-3 weeks ago.

There is still some tightness in the donor area. If 0 is no tightness at all, and 10 is a Croydon facelift (check Wikipedia), I'm at a 2.

I'm still getting slight scabbiness/ooziness in the donor area, but nothing problematic.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

Hey acrobaz,

I still get the occasionally scab on the donor area that comes from no where, and a slight 'ooziness'as you say, guess it's normal.

Wonder what month the scar goes white, month 5?

Thx for your reply spex, I have quite fine hair, what grade do you think I can comfortably shave to at the back without the red line showing up? It has already faded to a more pink colour...

I wish this aspect -- pain in the donor site -- were more greatly stressed to people considering under-going this procedure. It can be surprising, I think, to find you can't sleep on your back, with your head resting on a pillow, more than a week after your operation because it just hurts too damned bad.

A travel pillow really helps in the first week...it is the only way you'll get some sleep.

Not only does sleeping on your back hurt, but it is not recommended ..that is, to avoid swelling.