Exhaust FUT then FUE

Looking at (unreal) 3rd HT. Both HT have been strip. The thought of a 3rd strip is daunting to me so I am considering FUE.. Should I continue to exhaust Strip, before moving on to FUE?

Because our donor is limited, and strip continues to produce the best yields, IMHO you are undoubtedly better off continuing your journey with strip at this point in time "providing" you have the accomodating laxity for the third strip procedure.

Not sure how large your previous two strip procedures were, but if you're going for a third procedure, yield is still a critical factor. I would never want to hear someone using up most of their remaining donor with FUE and then not have the most favorable regrowth/yield. So maybe stick with strip until you have no other options but to go with FUE.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I want another HT but would like to wait a little longer before another strip procedure. In the meantime, I wanted to try FUE, maybe 800 to 1500 hundred, and then later another strip.

I was hoping to go with FUE, and have the staff take out from an area that would not be part of a strip procedure.. maybe like the sides of my head??

Native

I remember that strip recovery. I had a huge megasession. 4800

Grafts. Dr Rahal told me after I still had 4000 grafts left pretty easily. I thought at that time the thought of another strip surgery sounded like I would never do it again. But, after my results, I would never do FUE until I was stripped out. I think of it as I've been told how some women think of child birth. You know, while its happening they say never again but after the baby they say it wasn't that bad. Truth be told, the worst part for me was the no sleep. The sleeping elevated to reduce the swelling. The constant worrying about messing up one single graft. The actually surgery was LONG....approx 13 hours for me. However, after my results, I wouldn't consider anything other than FUT until I was out of strip options.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

3k, first FUT

2k, 2nd, FUT

I believe the doc said I had maybe 2 more FUT procedures left in me

I'd probably bang out one more FUT then man. I know the thought of it kinda sucks, but you wanna get the biggest bang for your buck when you are truly talking of that precious donor supply!!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I want another HT but would like to wait a little longer before another strip procedure. In the meantime, I wanted to try FUE, maybe 800 to 1500 hundred, and then later another strip.

I was hoping to go with FUE, and have the staff take out from an area that would not be part of a strip procedure.. maybe like the sides of my head??

Although most HT procedures harvest hair from the occipital zone (back side of scalp), yes it is possible for a talented competent FUE surgeon to extract FUs from other regions of the scalp like the parietal zones (sides).

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

After reading these posts.....Im still not sure what to have. I had my first FUT back in feb 2011 (1750) and now Im thinking of having another HT, but not sure which method....fue or fut. After consultation, I have been told that I only need about 1500-2000 grafts for my frontal core. Im thinking of Dr Radha for FUT or Dr Bhatti for FUE. Both very good dr's...but what procedure is best for me...thats the question I keep asking myself.

Thank you. I see so many NW6, with a big head of hair on the sides, and wondered why I couldn't just grab FUs from there, and save the "strip zone" for a later date.

I believe you can take FUs from the sides if choosing FUE. I have also read that they may take hair from the beard or body hair and I have seen some very good results in some other forums. Beard or body hair, if mixed correctly with head hair, cannot be recognized. The only problem is that they don’t grow very long. But if you don’t grow your hair very long, then it’s ideal for saving some valuable donor area.

It all depends on the clinical look of your donor area, the scalp laxity and the ability to do another strip while replacing the old line and leaving a similar or better result. If you are going to do a small case like 800 grafts, generally this is easily done with strip while removing the old scars and doing trichophytic closures to improve the result. However, a proper clinical exam and consult would be the only way to assure you got an accurate response based on your hair goals, quality of hair etc. The advantage of doing a strip is I can generally extract more grafts and give you more hair in one day provided the donor exists to do so without significant tension.