Please help evaluate my hair loss situation

I am 28 years old and have been experiencing hair loss from my early 20s with the most significant loss about 2-3 years ago. I currently use Toppik to conceal my loss with pretty good success (no one has ever pointed anything out and my sisters who know I use Toppik tell me it looks quite natural). However I do believe Toppik is becoming much more noticable around my hairline and am starting to really consider hair transplant options.

After doing research I have decided I don't want to have strip surgery as I still want the option of shaving my hair in future. But considering my current loss I don't know if FUE is even feasible. I have attached some photos and was wondering if anyone could estimate how many grafts I would need and if I would be a suitable candidate for FUE. My main priority is to thicken my hairline and midscalp first and then consider thickening the crown in future.

BTW i normally wear my hair down so it doesn't normally look this shabby

5b32d4dbc1dd4_FrontHidden.jpg.5316c1170a98f60c1a5372547633c39d.jpg

5b32d4dbd84eb_MidscalpHidden.jpg.c74a1002028a2cf9fc8592b14e1bb7fe.jpg

5b32d4dbebd94_Midscalpclosehidden.jpg.4296d5df24c7abcf43c7886dcac7baa5.jpg

5b32d4dc094c3_RightSideHidden.jpg.92a295bf14733cc0020110194019aa21.jpg

5b32d4dc15dc7_LeftSideHidden.jpg.44aecdd329711906d5b6904177980228.jpg

Crown.jpg.b144414319448e6a50f36cc876f185d2.jpg

Donor.jpg.a9f8a7212b4a41b924184a708aaea55f.jpg

Are you in finasteride?

It looks like you are headed to a nw6 or 7. It looks like right now an ht may not be a good idea.

Have you shaved it before? I would consider just shaving it. Sorry for the bad news, but you are headed to advanced stage.

You may want to get an in-person consult with a recommended physician and see what he or she thinks.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Juice,

I happen to think that you could potentially have great success with a HT. There are many guys who have attained incredible results coming from a far worse situation than yourself. The key is to be realistic regarding heading down this path, what it will take and ultimately and most importantly the results that can be achieved. Your hairloss is aggressive for your age, and to attempt to halt that initially and hopefully maybe regrow some hair, the medical route could prove invaluable. I do not know if you are taking Propecia and/or Minoxidil or if you have any knowledge of them. This undoubtedly must be the first stop, to consider these meds. Minoxidil could be tricky to apply twice each day if you are using Toppik, but do some research and see how that goes for the next 12 months or so. In the meantime, consult with some top docs who you feel comfortable with and begin to form a decision on your preferences, and educate yourself regarding whether a hair transplant is the right path for you.

You mention FUE, depending on your realistic goals, I would seriously consider the FUT route. Of course this means that you would have a linear scar in the donor region but is normally the recommended option with hairloss as advanced as your own. A good 3-4k grafts would rebuild your hairline and build your front 3rd mid scalp section, and a subsequent procedure could begin to address your crown area. Do you research, send your pics to the Drs and receive their professional opinions and feedback. Your come to the right place to use this community to educate yourself. Good luck!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Thanks for the reply guys. Knowing my case is more advanced I wasn't surprised I would get some differing views.

I've been on and off Propecia and minoxidil for about 3 years (more off then on) but have been using them daily for the past 7 months. I've definitely noticed less hair loss and maybe some slight thickening in the crown (hard to tell for sure).

For the hairloss I have I don't think my expectations would be too extreme. I am not after a really aggressive hairline. I would just like to add enough density to my hairline and midscalp to be able to style my hair without or with a small bit of concealer. At the moment im having to pack on Toppik to get a good result and apart from it becoming noticeable around the hairline its constant paranoia about it coming off.

My concern is that if I do go ahead with a transpant now and I am heading towards a NW 6 or 7 am I fighting a losing battle as ill never have enough donor to cover that area

Juice,

If I were you I would schedule an in person consult with a few docs to see if you are a good candidate for ht. That is the best way to find out if its going to be an option for you.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Hey Juice,

The fact that you are currently using concealer and are open minded about the continuation of the product post HT, but just need to build a genuine hairline, and the fact that you expectations are as you put them realistic, then you have a good correct outlook to research the possibility of a HT.

Your worries regarding further loss and the potential lack of supply to demand, is a struggle for most of us hairloss sufferers. Especially those with extensive loss at a younger age. That is why Propecia and minoxidil can be so important. I heard a radio feed of Jotronic speaking recently, and he explained that people often asked him why he bothers to take propecia when he was a solid NW6. His answer, because I dont want to become a NW7. The only current way to address this is by considering to take the products. Get in touch with some Drs and address your concerns, show them your photos, explain to them your expectations, discuss your family hairloss history and if possible arrange for an in person meet where they can then properly review your hair situation. From there, armed with solid feedback, it may influence you which path is the correct path for your to proceed.

I have seen many patients set out from a far more extensive situation than yourself and to achieve incredible natural results!

Good luck!

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Juice,

If I were you I would schedule an in person consult with a few docs to see if you are a good candidate for ht. That is the best way to find out if its going to be an option for you.

I only wish it was that easy. I live in Australia and having researched the doctors here not confident they can give me the best results. I'm willing to travel to get treatment by the best doctors but it would become very expensive and time consuming to travel for consultations only. I will probably be relying on online and phone consultations alone. Anyone have or know of any stories where what was told to a patient during an online consult was drastically different to what was found in person?

Not normally the case. Obviously the clearer and more honest the image, the better. The plan and/or graft count will be somewhat estimated without an in person consult, but I have never personally heard of a Dr accepting a patient online, then to turn them down upon arrival. Just need to be brutally honest regarding all information and photos/lighting/angles etc..........

Thanks so much for the feedback

I know every case is different in terms of hairloss, donor density, hair texture etc but I would think my case is something a bit more advanced then this

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/167304-dr-rahal-patient-2589-grafts-fue.html

If I could achieve something close to this, albeit with probably more donor hairs, I would be very happy!! Dr Rahal does some amazing work and is definitely looking like my first choice surgeon. I have emailed his clinic my pictures, now I just wait for a reply.

Your donor looks a bit weak to me.

Perhaps do an online consult with 5 or 6 doctors on here and see what you get back.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I emailed my pictures to Hasson and Wong and was told I'm not a candidate for strip due to poor donor density particularly on the sides around my ears. Would FUE still be a option considering they can take hair from a larger area rather than relying on the density of a single strip?

I emailed my pictures to Hasson and Wong and was told I'm not a candidate for strip due to poor donor density particularly on the sides around my ears. Would FUE still be a option considering they can take hair from a larger area rather than relying on the density of a single strip?

I'm not surprise they said that. Even with FUE I doubt you would be able to get enough grafts for a meaningful transformation.

My advice? The Vin Diesel look...

I only wish I could pull it off myself but I don't have the skin tone for it!!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day