itching and scratching while sleeping - nothing i can do

Hello everybody,

I am about 43 days post op. But, around the 40th day, I realized that I would uncontrollably scratch my donor and recipient areas while sleeping. I know that popping pimples is disputed amongst this forum, but I would wake up to find bloody scabs where my pimples used to be and blood on my fingernails. I also think I've scratched off the remaining grafts on my left temple, because if I look closely, a little bit of the grafts are still desperately trying to hang in there; as if I tried to pry them off with my nails.

I know grafts are secure and anchored in by the 10th day, but I was wondering if I could do any damage to my recipient area due to my eager and unwilling scratching while I'm asleep at this stage. I am going to try Nizoral to stop the itchiness in my scalp and start sleeping with socks on my hands or something...

Thanks in advance.

Battles,

Like you said before, at 40 days post-op, the grafts are definitely anchored and you couldn't really do anything to dislodge the work. Having said that, you should probably have the scalp itching evaluated by a Dermatologist and see what can be done to help alleviate the issue.

Keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi battles! I look forward to reading your blog! Any update on the itching?

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Some people wear gloves to keep from scratching.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Try putting some unscented body lotion on your scalp for 30 mins before you go to bed, then rinse it off. This will sooth the scalp and keep the skin moisturized so should be less itchy.

Something like bepanthol.

Hope this helps, if not, wear mittens.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Haha, I tried the gloves route, but I just keep taking them off in my sleep. I will definitely try the lotion idea tonight, but futrhtdr has reassured me that I shouldn't be worrying too much about the scratching at this stage. If the grafts aren't going to be damaged by my scratching, I'll try my best not to be so paranoid. However, scratching my donor is another issue :).

Battles,

Remember that our site is not a place to seek medical advice. While I don't think you will dislodge grafts, I still believe you should see a Dermatologist about the itching. You won't dislodge your grafts, but it's still not good for your scalp to be repeatedly scratched each night.