600 FUE small triangle case by Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

This fellow has minimal family history of hairloss and is concerned about thinning in his frontal triangles. We discussed a couple of options ranging from doing nothing, to a small FUE case, and a small strip case. He has fairly fine hair and is willing to take a “go as you need” approach and have a small case now with additional work as needed later. Although he doesn’t wear a particularly short hairstyle, he chose to proceed with FUE over strip. He was super easy to work with and he kept the donor and recipient sites pristine as seen at day 7. Hopefully he’ll chime in and add some background info on the forum. I’ll post additional pictures in a few months. We used a Feller 0.9 and 1.0 punch for harvesting.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

001.jpg.046dbf2b5f8c5be845c2db47259fa7e7.jpg

002.jpg.83b2666a9be255628620eacb62f2344f.jpg

003.jpg.cb25d56899c37647c6d42d9682fd7e9b.jpg

4.jpg.a487f895a4c3bf6bfe7c37a0759a65f0.jpg

5.jpg.62a3f588f6407596f5b8751ddaf2cf43.jpg

6.jpg.f68fde0bc51b9744c6ca3adad53f8aaa.jpg

7.jpg.ad39100d50ec4f5c5cf293fb9a6e733f.jpg

8.jpg.742826ece2fe9c20d755e6fbb741d65b.jpg

9.jpg.b5bd7d137510c60322c59cabc5432c0a.jpg

10.jpg.96a44d360bc8f916a5f3df75f9255698.jpg

11.jpg.4d38c37f145039f997ba22b5e9308fcc.jpg

12.jpg.53c7cc7dc92493f5515384a5ef62c480.jpg

13.jpg.316c2261c6aca671b678f09bf8f30169.jpg

14.jpg.af5c0c1aad556ea6f43952be68f907fa.jpg

15.jpg.718ccc512701ddb474e81b8d6f5b5d64.jpg

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I'd like to thank Dr. Lindsey, Spex and Dr. Lindsey's staff for making this small HT so easy. This is something I'd been considering for some time.

As a bit of background, I began to notice recession in my hairline about 6 months before I turned 20 (1999). I started using minoxidil at that point after meeting with a dermatologist. In early 2000 I added finasteride to the mix and used that for almost two years. In December of 2002, my dermatologist mentioned that there was a new drug on the market, Avodart, that blocked more DHT than finasteride. He prescribed Avodart to me (0.5mg/daily) and I have been taking that for almost 10 years now. Sometime in late 2005 I discontinued using minoxidil (I wanted to avoid the messy application, if possible). For about 9 years (2001-2009), my loss seemed to have totally stabilized.

Starting in 2010, I noticed some additional, minor recession at the temples. This had probably been going on, very slowly, for awhile. This recession continued at a very slow pace. In early October of 2011, I added minoxidil back to the mix, which appears to have helped with the recession. I decided to go with this small HT to put back what I had recently lost (or recently noticed that I had lost). My goal was never to have the hairline I had at 15, just the "mature hairline" I've had since I was about 21.

I have been dealing with hairloss for about 13 years and didn't make this decision without a lot of thought. Dr. Lindsey listened to me describe my goals and worked with me to come up with a long term plan of action. It was a great experience all around.

Motoro, consider yourself lucky to have only had that much loss in 13 years. Also, consider yourself lucky to have been on the strongest DHT blocker on the market. Dr. Lindsey is awesome, and I know you will be back to speed in no time!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I joined the forum yesterday to post my results. I have never been a member of an online hairloss forum, but I've lurked in many of them since I started actively dealing with this problem in late 1999.

Honestly, some of the negativity I've seen on the forums over the years has turned me off. Trolling and hating and so forth. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of great and encouraging posts from really helpful guys, which I've always appreciated. Since I've been in this game for longer than many and still have most of my hair (and have been on dudasteride for 10 years), I felt like maybe I could contribute something helpful to the discussion.

That's why I joined up yesterday.

Congratulation Motoro on your recent surgery.

You have great hair already and I am sure it will be a good result at the end.

Have you ever had any side effects from avodart as you have been on it a long time?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Thanks chrisdav.

To answer your question, I have never had any side effects from Avodart. When I started with finasteride in early 2000, I do remember some testicular pain during the first month or so, but other than that I had no problem with that drug. When I switched from finasteride to dutasteride in 2002 I didn't experience any problems at all. I have had none of the sexual side effects that terrify so many people and keep them away from the oral DHT inhibitors.

MLT 30. I can't tell from your question if you are concerned that I'm posting a case and then logging on as a patient to post how great the doctor was....but that is not my M.O.

We routinely ask patients to post their own cases, but few do. I routinely tell folks that I'll post it and then email so they can comment if they feel like it, but again few do.

Take for example the update yesterday of the 3 stage repair case. If you go back to when I posted it a few months ago, the patient signed up and commented shortly after my post...but when he sent me the pictures that I put up, I asked him to go on and comment but he declined. I'm happy when patients will come on and blog, but frankly most aren't interested in adding their 2 cents.

But we do not blog acting as patients. I think Bill has software to detect that based on web addresses or something. Perhaps he can comment.

Thanks

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

There's a difference between:

signing up and posting an insightful hairloss story and photos/summary of your recent procedure

signing up and your first post is backing a certain doctor unequivocally with no photos and making very brash statements.

I don't think this poster gives the warning signs of a "shill". Anyway...

Nice write up and photos! I wish I had discovered fin when my hairloss started, I know you've had some loss now but you've done really well to keep the loss to a minimum. Hope it all works out well for ya!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

MTL30,

Thanks for sharing your concerns on this topic. I do happen to agree that there are times when a new poster looks suspicious and may not be genuine. However, I've seen several legitimate cases where patients provide their physicians with the permission to post their photos online and then decides to come online to share their own experience and results. I can confirm by Dr. Lindsey's and Motoro's different IP addresses that they are posting from different networks. I also have no reason to be suspicious.

Thanks for helping to keep this community honest and genuine.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

To wade into this side conversation for just a minute, Dr. Lindsey posted my case and emailed me and requested that I post something, if I wanted to. I didn't have to think twice. Everything about my procedure went smoothly and as expected. I'm happy with how it all went down and have no problem spreading the word. The same is true about my use of hairloss meds or anything else, honestly. I support things that work.

• 11 months later...

Yes, I posted his 10 month results on this site probably in July and he came on and commented. We are doing a couple hundred FUE tune up of some new areas this Friday so I'll have some updated pics to post in the next week or 2.

Sorry I can't find the exact link, as I'm on a slow connection...but its posted by me in this section within the last 2 months and has pretty decent pics.

Thanks

Dr. Lindsey

McLean, VA