I'm getting a HT! This is my journey!

Hello everyone -

My name is George and I live in Chicago. I'm 29-years-old and I began losing my hair when I was 17. I think it wasn't really noticeable until I was 25, but it was very manageable. I still looked good, despite the fact I was losing hair.

I'd say when I turned 27, that's when I really started getting insecure about my hair loss. This is something I've thought about for a long time, and I am going to do this.

This is my thread. I am going to post my journey here - from my consultation to my procedure and my post op pics - to the very end. I want others like me to be able to use this thread for whatever they need to take that step and get this done.

For me, my biggest hurdle is how I will look for the 1-6 months after my procedure. I'm very lucky though, as I have a beautiful girlfriend that will support me how ever I look. I'm also fortunate to have a good job that lets me work from home. My game plan: No weddings, no clubs nothing. I am going to stay home until I am ready to go out in public with my new hair. If I go to a friend's house, I'm just going to wear a hat.

Why am I doing this?

When I was in high school the only two girls I dated won best looking. I was a really good looking kid. I was confident in my looks up until 25, that's when the hair loss really got bad.

I remember getting compliments when I would dress up in a suit from strangers or family. Recently, however, nothing. I haven't gotten a compliment about my looks in about 2 years. I've noticed that.

I'm also probably going to get married in 18-20 months to my beautiful girlfriend of five years. She just so happens to like or not mind bald guys, so I guess I got pretty lucky there lol. I've seen how I look as of late in pictures and I really want to look good on my wedding day. This isn't the only reason I'm doing it. I'm mainly doing it for the confidence.

In short, not to ramble, if I started losing my hair now as oppose to so long ago, I probably wouldn't mind. But I'm young and I look A LOT older than I should. It hurts when people think I'm in my mid thirties when I'm only 29. I know that if I got a HT, that people would probably think I'm younger than I am.

Who am I seeing?

I am seeing Dr. Richard Keller this Friday. I also sent in a bunch of different pics to Dr. Raymond Konior. I sent Konior my pics via email and he said I'd make an excellent candidate. Very flattering lol

Obviously, Konior is very in demand, it is going to take some time before I can meet him for a consultation. He is very sought after and for good reason. That being said, the turnaround time from when I see him to when I get the surgery is probably going to be around 3-6 months.

I've also heard very good things about Keller, but it is harder to find information on him compared to Konior. Nevertheless, he also seems like a great doctor and if anyone has had any experiences, please message me. Also, if there is someone else in the Chicago area you think I should see please post below.

I am fortunate to be able to pay for the entire procedure in full by myself.

What do I plan to do?

I've done my research and someone like me would need around 3,000 grafs to get my desired look. I am OK with having thin hair in the back, but I still need to fill that area up. I am more concerned about the front of my hairline and the top portion of my head.

I plan on getting two transplants in my lifetime, but I do not want to get the second until a few years later. I'm hoping that is possible.

So, this is my journey. It just began with this personal message and I'll be attending my first consultation on Friday. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted throughout the whole process.

Thanks.

5b32d411cc6d8_Image1.jpg.d8154c8781b711b152a4e56c5bc513d5.jpg

5b32d411ed153_Image2.jpg.9939c3cf709738e987b468bd863eb0ba.jpg

I can relate to your story since some of it is similar to mine. I am a good amount older than you but can still relate.

I agree that you should lay off your crown for now as it is not bad. Personally, I think 3500 grafts on the front and mid with a reasonably consevative hairline would do a nice job for you.

If your not already, I strongly suggest you get on finasteride. It may bring some of that crown back for you.

Good luck.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

If your not already' date=' I strongly suggest you get on finasteride. It may bring some of that crown back for you.

Good luck.[/quote']

I do use toppik for my crown only. It does a nice job; I've had good friends tell me they can't notice that I'm using toppik. It's a band aid, though.

Does finasteride really work? I just wrote that off as a gimmick or something that gives little results. And what does a pharmacy charge for something like that? I'm pretty sure most insurances wouldn't cover it.

Thanks for the kind words. While I've thought about this for a while, it feels really great knowing that I'm going to go through it. Like, I can't wait

Finasteride does work very well for many and the younger you are, the better it seems to work. It is nuch better at maintaining the hair you have not lost than it is at regrowing hair. Of course, you want to hang onto as much hair as you can. I can tell you that my hairloss accelerated and was a run away train from 2007-2010. I started finasteride in 2010 and 2 years later, I dont think I have lost any more native hair.

I buy proscar which is the 5 mg version of propecia which is 1 mg. I cut each tab in quarters and take that daily. Its about 80 dollars for a 4 month supply. If you go with generic, you can likely get it down to like 7 bucks a month.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

chicagobears,

Welcome and congratulations on taking the first steps toward restoring your thinning hair.

As Cant decide already stated, Propecia (finasteride) words very well for lots of guys. You can buy 30 generic 5mg tablets at Walmart as well as many other pharmacies for as little as $9. As you can imagine, quartering those results in a 120 day supply if you take it daily. When I was using it I only took it MWF.

The drug works best with younger guys like you who still have a substantial amount of hair. You may want to give it a try.

I look forward to your continued updates.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Finasteride and Dutasteride brought back a LOT of my hair, and I've been thinning slowly for nearly 25 years.

You can't go wrong with any of the recommended physicians on this site. Dr. Keller, Konior, or Panine are all outstanding. Your hardest decision is probably picking which one!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Agree with RCWest.My favourite is Dr Konior I must admit but they are all very good.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Finasteride works and it is a bad idea in my opinion for a 29 year old to have surgery and not be on it.

As far as which doctor to use, I don't know much about Dr. Keller, and am a little bias as you can see from my thread below, but I would suspect that there is a reason that there is such a wait time to have surgery with Dr. K. But I think you need that long to get do proper research and make the right decision for you, as well as getting emotionally prepared for your journey. I think it is a pretty common thought that Dr. Konior is the man.

The ones that rcwest mentioned are all good, but it is my personal opinion that Dr. Konior is in another class that is only populated by very few. And again, as far as wait, look at the green text in my signature. Find a doctor that you need more than they need you.

You are probably going to get a lot of advice, i.e. fin and what doc, that I would start a new thread for your surgery to keep your surgery thread clean.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Finasteride works and it is a bad idea in my opinion for a 29 year old to have surgery and not be on it.

As far as which doctor to use, I don't know much about Dr. Keller, and am a little bias as you can see from my thread below, but I would suspect that there is a reason that there is such a wait time to have surgery with Dr. K. But I think you need that long to get do proper research and make the right decision for you, as well as getting emotionally prepared for your journey. I think it is a pretty common thought that Dr. Konior is the man.

The ones that rcwest mentioned are all good, but it is my personal opinion that Dr. Konior is in another class that is only populated by very few. And again, as far as wait, look at the green text in my signature. Find a doctor that you need more than they need you.

You are probably going to get a lot of advice, i.e. fin and what doc, that I would start a new thread for your surgery to keep your surgery thread clean.

Really funny, but I just read your post about Dr. K before checking this thread. I laughed when you said you'd pick him up from the highway and drive 8 hours lol

I just got an email today from Tom from Dr. Konior's office, I have an appt. set for Sept. 10. At the very least, I am not making a decision until I speak with both doctors. I'm actually set to see Dr. Keller later this afternoon. I was going to ask him if he could write me a script for Propecia (generic) while Im there. I'd like to get started on that ASAP.

I've been doing research on HT for years. I've never felt more ready to pull the trigger than I do right now. I have no big events coming up (my bro just got married, my best friend too) I am currently working from home and I have the money to do this. If I don't do this now, I'm prob never going to do it.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post her on my initial thoughts on Dr. Keller after my visit. My first consult!

Talk to you guys soon. Thank you for kind words, advice. :)

Just thought I would put my two cents in, as I live in Chicago and did a LOT of research before eventually deciding to have my transplant done by Dr. Keller.

First and most importantly, I am glad you said you are not making any decision until you meet with both doctors. No matter how many reviews and how many people say one thing about one doctor or another, I think it is extremely important for you to draw your own opinions, ask your own questions, and ultimately make your own decision. Everyone gets different impressions, has different experiences and has their own unique priorities.

That being said, and I have to say this just because I learned along the way, you cannot judge a doctor necessarily by the amount of time it takes to get an appointment or how many cheerleaders they have on a particular site. One huge factor that some overlook is that some doctors have a much longer wait time because they perform other procedures other than hair transplants (one question to ask a doctor when interviewing). Other doctors may also have different personal rules about limiting the number of procedures to improve quality, while others may try to book as many as possible. Also, I am not going to go into it fully, but I think some doctors on here have an odd proportion of positive reviews from "patients" compared to the number of operations they perform...but I digress.

I truly believe that I found a hidden gem when I found Dr. Keller. I knew going into the consultation that there wasn't many reviews on this site about him and I still to this date wonder why (because I have talked to several of his patients and others that speak nothing but the highest about him) that is so.

In the end, refer to what I said prior, research, research, have consults with several doctors, observe how they behave and make your own decision after taking into consideration all of your information as well as, to a degree, what others say about different doctors.....and research - did I mention research? :) This site is am AMAZING resource and a good foundation for the beginnings of research.

I wouldn't mind answering any questions about any information on HT's or doctors in the area that anyone may have.

Whew...typed a lot more than I had originally planned. :)

Edited by southbeacharchi

My Hair Loss Web Site

FUT - 8/12/11 - Dr. Keller - Chicago - 3140 grafts

365 singles, 375 doubles, & 2400 multiple hair grafts

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I type out a novel on here....and then it goes silent....lol

Any update chicagobears? Have you met with any of the doctors? Done any further research?

My Hair Loss Web Site

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a professional within the hair transplant field, but I am one hell of a researcher and have been dubbed "master googler" by people that know me. So, anything I say is solely my best opinion or answer based on everything I have read and/or experienced. :)

I think Dr. Konior is averaging 4 HT surgeries a week, and sometimes 5 if he decides to do so.

I can confidently say that his wait for consultation and surgery is not because he is doing other plastic surgery. I believe that he rarely does other types of plastics, like do some others on this board like Dr. Lindsey and a few others with surgical backgrounds.

While I admitted that I was bias towards him, because I chose him as my doctor. I consider the word "cheerleader" rather derogatory, with the implication that a doctor (and his or her clinic) on this board with "cheerleaders" does not deserve the praise given.

While I would admit that there are a few clinics on this board that sometimes get undue praise, Dr. Konior is not one of them.

There are other doctors that can give you good or maybe even great results.

I do not recommend Dr. Konior because I like Dr. Konior, I recommend him because I like to see people get great results.

I would also, like SBA, encourage you to do as much research as possible. Take your time to choose the right doctor for you. You are stuck with the result for life.

Let us know how it goes.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

@southbeach

I sincerely plan on updating this thread thoroughly, with thoughtful insight on my journey. My day job is working as a journalist for a publication that everyone on this forum has read or at least knows about. That being said, I'm not ready to update right now.

Expect more frequent posts come next month. I sincerely want people to land on this website the same way I did and read what I have to say. For some, getting a HT is a simple decision. For me, it took years to finally pull the trigger. I sincerely appreciate all the feedback I've gotten thus far, and when everything is all said and done, I feel this thread will provide a lot of insight to those looking to get a HT in the Chicagoland area.

Thanks again for following up with me. It is nice to know people are out there reading what I have to say. In the meantime, please be patient with me. I have my reasons why I haven't updated yet.

Best,

George

I think Dr. Konior is averaging 4 HT surgeries a week, and sometimes 5 if he decides to do so.

I can confidently say that his wait for consultation and surgery is not because he is doing other plastic surgery. I believe that he rarely does other types of plastics, like do some others on this board like Dr. Lindsey and a few others with surgical backgrounds.

While I admitted that I was bias towards him, because I chose him as my doctor. I consider the word "cheerleader" rather derogatory, with the implication that a doctor (and his or her clinic) on this board with "cheerleaders" does not deserve the praise given.

While I would admit that there are a few clinics on this board that sometimes get undue praise, Dr. Konior is not one of them.

There are other doctors that can give you good or maybe even great results.

I do not recommend Dr. Konior because I like Dr. Konior, I recommend him because I like to see people get great results.

I would also, like SBA, encourage you to do as much research as possible. Take your time to choose the right doctor for you. You are stuck with the result for life.

Let us know how it goes.

Calm down there Spanker. I think you were a little too sensitive on that post. Dr. Konior must mean a GREAT deal to you.

I did not mean "cheerleaders" in a derogatory manner...just used the word to describe people that are very "pro" towards one doctor and seem to speak about it on every post, make-up posts, and sometimes maybe not be playing fully by the rules. I did not necessarily mean it directed at Dr. Konior or you as a patient. It is an overall observation/opinion of mine from browsing around.

Now that that is cleared up, I honestly do not know if Dr. Konior performs other procedures. I have actually heard from several sources he does. If you say there is absolutely no way that he is backed-up due to that, then people can take your word for it, or simply ask....like I suggested. Again, that was not directed right at Dr. Konior, just something to keep in mind and possibly ask about with any doctor. I asked all the doctors I consulted with if they only did HT's. I think it is a pretty standard question.

I want to say that I know Dr. Konior does very good work, and anyone that looks at the results of his patients can see that. He is an excellent HT doctor.

My Hair Loss Web Site

@southbeach

I sincerely plan on updating this thread thoroughly, with thoughtful insight on my journey. My day job is working as a journalist for a publication that everyone on this forum has read or at least knows about. That being said, I'm not ready to update right now.

Expect more frequent posts come next month. I sincerely want people to land on this website the same way I did and read what I have to say. For some, getting a HT is a simple decision. For me, it took years to finally pull the trigger. I sincerely appreciate all the feedback I've gotten thus far, and when everything is all said and done, I feel this thread will provide a lot of insight to those looking to get a HT in the Chicagoland area.

Thanks again for following up with me. It is nice to know people are out there reading what I have to say. In the meantime, please be patient with me. I have my reasons why I haven't updated yet.

Best,

George

Sounds like you are busy George. Didn't mean to rush you with updates at all. Just was curious about your journey and any news. I was very much in the exact same position about a year ago.....so I identify. Look forward to hearing more about you and your journey and wish you the best with the process and making the decision.

I completely agree about your insight comment.

Take-care...

My Hair Loss Web Site