9 weeks to go, nervous, I could use some help

Hi all,

9 weeks until I get a 3500 graft strip treatment with Bisanga/BHR in Belgium.

All of a sudden I'm panicking about the journey home. I plan to fly back home to the UK the day after the procedure.

Is this wise?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but:

- I'll have to wear a hat of course. How reasonable is that 18 hours after the procedure?

- Do I risk pulling out any of the grafts I've paid to have put in?

Really looking for some advice here, particularly from those that have had a lot of grafts in one session.

If I can be at home that is obviously what I want.

4800+ grafts, Dr Bisanga, Brussels, Oct 2012

My Photos

Hi,

If it was me I would travel the 2nd day after surgery. I've had 2 HT's and both times I felt a little disorientated the day after the surgery. Other people have posted that they experienced no issues at all.

Cheers Rod

Hi Modenese,

First of all, congrats on booking your HT. You have picked a good clinic and will be in good hands. I had 2 procedures at BHR. On the first one I flew home on day two. It went fine with no problems but I was quite worried about someone bumping into me or getting hit with a falling piece of overhead luggage or something like that. There are people who fly on the day after and I haven't heard of anyone having a real problem with it but I think its safer to stay put for at least a day or two if you can to protect your investment.

I would not recommend wearing a hat for a few days. Depending on the type of hat and where your grafts will be placed, there could be a risk of too much contact with the grafts. The clinic will give you a bonnet sort of thing that you can put over your head. Its safe to wear but looks a little silly. On my first op I flew home uncovered but on the second a wore a bandana. If you talk to Stephen, he is an expert on how to properly fold and put on the bandana.

Edited by Levrais
Typo

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

I had 2000 grafts with Dr. Feller 9 days ago. The next day, with his approval, I was strolling around Manhattan with a hat on. The day after I travelled back to the UK. No problems at all! The worst part for me was having to have the hat on all day coming home as I ended up feeling a bit claustrophobic and it was itchy.

The type of hat I wore was a cap that is sort of heightened at the front and top, you know like what the cool kids wear these days. This enabled the grafts to be fine underneath.

Good luck!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I had 3000 FUT grafts over 2 days, the day after the 2nd I felt perfect. Walked around a trade show all day while wearing a ball cap. I just loosened the strap in back, made sure to gently place it, it didn't touch the grafts from crown to hairline, and the strip was snugly stitched up on the sides and back. I would be careful that it's not pinching anywhere or tight, ask your surgeon too. Do you go back to your surgeon the next day for a post op washing of area and check? You'll be wanting to sleep upright for several nights, regular icing and saline misting of areas too. Wouldn't want to be in airports too much of the following day letting the grafts dry out or swelling to take hold. Best of luck to you, you'll do fine!

This is good advice, and some questions I was going to ask have been answered here.

I'm due in a week for a 4000 FUT, and also booked to fly back the day after (12hr trip), and the Bangkok clinic will do a post-op clean the following morning before I board. From all I have read the next day is not a big problem for coordination problems etc. I don't have any tendency to bump or fall, so should be safe enough.

I'm still wondering what kind of bandages we have to wear after the op, and whether it's different for various clinics, or are they all the same?

I also read somewhere that a head compression bandage should be worn to stop swelling, but don't see anything here about that. Is that still applied?

Just be careful not to bump your head, I hit mine getting out of car 2 days after and it hurt like hell.

I wouldn't fancy traveling home just after, but then again I hate to travel airports are horrible places. When you consider how much you will be paying an extra day or two in a hotel might be worth it.

I had to do something the day after mine that I couldn't show I had it done, I wore a shower cap then a loose hat over that, got super hot and sweaty so would not be good for long periods of time.