Beard Hair Grafts... better coverage?

Do Beard hair grafts count for "more" than your average scalp hair graft because of the larger diameter/caliber of the hair.

I am just curious because I may want to use some for my crown. I can probably only get another 1000 FUE from scalp unfortunately. I was thinking of turning to beard grafts for further coverage.

Bluesteel,

My concern with using body hair is that it grows in different cycles than our normal hair. Im not 100% sure but believe it spends more time time in resting phase so from an illusion point of view you would need alot more grafts to get close to what you would get from the hair on yr scalp.

Plus even though there has been some good results shown, how many clinics are seeing these results week in week out?

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

That's the same strategy I want to use for a hair transplant. Use the beard hair and transplant it into crown section. As a result there should be enough donor hair to transplant hair in the frontal and mid zone.

There is another clinic that specializes in this type of hair transplant. Look up Dr Ozgur and Dr Akin from Ankara, Turkey. They have many cases where beard hair is transplanted into the crown.

Bluesteel,

My concern with using body hair is that it grows in different cycles than our normal hair. Im not 100% sure but believe it spends more time time in resting phase so from an illusion point of view you would need alot more grafts to get close to what you would get from the hair on yr scalp.

Plus even though there has been some good results shown, how many clinics are seeing these results week in week out?

Body hair is really weak. However, my beard hair grows everyday. I have to shave it everyday to get rid of it.

From what I've observed, beard hairs are the most natural type of body hair grafts utilized in body hair transplantation (BHT). They are definitely more coarse than scalp hair, and this could, technically, provide more coverage. However, as a few others have mentioned, body hair grafts are simply "different" and should usually only be utilized in repair procedures or instances where the normal donor supply is exhausted. Frankly, I'd investigate traditionally FUE first.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

only Umar has shown lots of solid results... i don't see anyone else doing BHT regularly.

Previously, you mentioned beard hair. Others have postulated that beard hair should be considered head hair. I would tend to agree. Now, beard hair does have a thicker diameter, which is good for some cases. For example, mixing in beard hair with some head hair, body, hair, etc. for a more natural look.

Also, beard hair just keeps growing and growing, pretty much like head hair.

See ya,

Atticus

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

Wouldn't the beard hair grow faster than the other hair on your head?

That is an excellent question, and my answer would be yes. It is generally more noticeable in the strip scars when your hair grows out, and as those with strip scars will know, you cannot often cut your hair too close. I've noticed more wiry hair in the back that is longer, and does not lie as flat, as the scalp hair, so I'd say it did grow faster. However, it could possibly be that the hair is just not lying as flat and appears longer. I've also noticed some in the scalp that seem longer than surrounding scalp hair. I've heard that over time growth cycles will mimic those of the surrounding hair.

The problem with that is that your regular hair is in follicular units and your beard hair is not, so I don't know that it would be much better. Just a guess though.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 6 months later...