Bald spot sinse birth... Treatment?

Hello,

I just have a couple of questions.

I have a bald spot around the size of an Australian 10cent piece on the right side of my head, since birth.

I was wondering the estimation cost of a hair transplant to fill up that small area?

As it restricts me from having hair styles as in buzz cuts etc, as i always have to make sure that there is enough hair to cover up that little annoying spot, as well im always paranoid if it is showing.

Also, is a hair transplant a painful procedure?

Thank you very much.

It's hard to say without seeing a picture so if you can post one. There are two potential treatments you can do for a small bald spot that you are mentioning. One is to have a transplant which shouldn't be too large probably just a few hundred grafts, and if you were to do something that small, I would suggest going with the FUE route so you don't have a linear scar for something this little. The FUE route is more expensive but for something like this it may be in your best interest. The second option depends on the size of the bald spot, because if it's small enough sometimes simply excising the area and suturing it closed will do the trick and you don't need any hair transplanted. This would leave a very small scar and the surrounding hair should cover it well. Transplantation is not very painful you only feel the shots from the anesthesia and the rest is more uncomfortable and probably even less for such a small case.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have this exact case next Friday. Its an 11 year old boy that I've seen now for 2 or 3 years referred by a dermatologist. His is about the size of a 50cent piece. We're going to excise the patch next week and I suspect we'll decrease ths size 40-60%. Then next summer we'll FUE the remaining patch with probably 200 FUEs. The boy is going to middle school and his parents say he's starting to stress about being picked on by others--hence the decision to take care of it now.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You could have FUE and then some SMP too if the rest of your hair is extremely dense

What is FUE and SMO meant for?

I ve been planning to have a surgery too. But I guess it could be very expensive..

Hello guys,

Thankyou for the information it has been most help full understanding the treatments i can undergo to fix this problem.

I have uploaded a photo of my birthmark for you guys to see for further recommendations.

I have recently shaved my head and found ways to hide it, though i'm still cautious if it is showing.

It's between a 10cent piece to a 20cent piece (Australian)

IMG_20120729_124243-1-1.jpg.f562291bcc757a3f9212dccffad5c786.jpg

Hi,

For such a small area it appears that FUE would be the way to go for you. Your problem is that you live in Australia and I don't know of any good surgeons in our country. If your concerned about it you need to consider travelling to the US and go to one of their top clinics. I went to DHT Clinic in Bangkok and had a good result but they only do FUT which I wouldn't recommend in your case.

Do some research on this website.

Cheers Rod

Hmmm, how much would 300 FUE grafts roughly cost?

I'm gonna' look around in Australia for some Doctors who can help me, before I consider traveling to another country - as it would be more of a hassle traveling over seas.

It's a small spot, and I do usually keep my hair short so I guess FUE grafts are the best choice as they don't leave major scaring, though if excising the area leaves a small scar I'd still be happy with that.

Hi Jon

Do some research on the forum. I appreciate that you don't want to travel outside of australia but there just aren't any good quality surgeons in Australia performing fue. Fue has a higher transaction rate than FUT so you need to do your research.

I'm only trying to help you with my advice.

Cheers rod

So I did the case last week, excising probably 90% of the bald patch. I'll post it next week after the sutures are out. Most likely I think we'll need a 1-200 FUE case next summer to fully camouflage the area. But I think the end result will be superior to FUE alone for a bald spot the size of my patient...and similar in size to what is described here.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians