If exercise and head movements can stretch an FUT scar why can't sleeping on it?

I never hear anyone talking about after an FUT surgery and the staples come out that there is a definite risk in stretching your scar by sleeping on it. Is this a valid concern?

I'm 5 weeks post op and people here say "don't turn you head this or that way", but I definitely feel pressure on my scar and the skin around it when I rest my head on my pillow when I'm on my back and even on my side. Wouldn't it be a bigger concern to worry about hours of pressure on a wound from the weight of your head than head movement during the day? And, yes I've tried travel pillows but that even causes some tugging from your neck.

Am I just being paranoid or can the skin pressure from laying your head down cause a problem? Thanks.

Pressure on the scar is normal, you even feel more pressure do to tightness of the sutures or staples. Moving your head up or down will make your skin stretch and therefore cause the scar to stretch. When you sleep find a position where your head is at a normal somewhat straight position where it's not causing the scalp to stretch. Your head doesn't have to be perfectly straight and flush with the neck angle, it's really more of a concern when you make larger movements with your head in the first week and a half.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest concern with head and neck movement in the first several months following a hair transplant procedure is excessive flexion of the neck. I always remind my patients to avoid chin to chest movement. I am not saying that the patient cannot look down towards the feet, I just recommend not to test the area on purpose by really trying to see how far they can flex the neck forward without having pain. Even after the sutures or staples come out there is a few more months where certain movements and stress on the donor area can negatively effect the scar. Sleeping on the donor area/scarin itself should not harm anything.

• 3 years later...

Mosd,

Potential FUT "scar stretching" caused by head movement or exercise in the first few months after a hair transplant is a bit of a controversial topic.

Many will recommend avoiding any sort of weight lifting for up to a few months. Others put restrictions on exercises that specifically involve flexing the head/neck or working muscles that attach to areas near the scar (like the "traps").

However, we have a different outlook on the subject, so I'll give you my "two cents" -- if you don't mind:

If you think about the trouble reconstruction surgeons to go when trying to expand and stretch the scalp (google "scalp expanders" in reconstructive cases) and how much of the tensile strength returns just during the period while the staples/stitches are in, it stands to reason that it's quite difficult to really "stretch" out the scar on your own.

Because of this, Dr Feller started allowing more and more activity after the sutures/staples came out of his FUT patients years ago. After noticing no appreciable difference in the scars in those who were very active versus those who were not, he began recommending returning to regular exercise/activity after the sutures/staples were removed (10-14 days). No difference was noticed in the final scarring. As long as tension is taken off the wound during the critical healing phases, the body nearly always takes over and heals as it will. Most are "normal healers" and will have a "good" scar (by refined hair transplant standards).

In patients who are very, very worried about it, I tell them they can restrict the specific exercises I discussed above until they aren't as concerned, but I always tell them that I really don't believe it will affect the scar. Knowing this, I wouldn't worry -- at all -- about normal head motion for the first few months.

Now, having said all that, remember that it is extremely important to follow your clinic's specific post-operative instructions "to a T." Dr K may feel differently about scar stretching, and you should definitely "double check" with him and follow his instructions closely.

If you'd like more information about the whole scar stretching phenomenon, here's a video you may find helpful:

And here are a few examples of FUT scars in normal healers. These are guys who were told to go back to regular exercise/activity routines (and did so) after the staples came out 10-14 days later.

Hope this was helpful! Best of luck.

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Mosd,

Potential FUT "scar stretching" caused by head movement or exercise in the first few months after a hair transplant is a bit of a controversial topic.

Many will recommend avoiding any sort of weight lifting for up to a few months. Others put restrictions on exercises that specifically involve flexing the head/neck or working muscles that attach to areas near the scar (like the "traps").

However, we have a different outlook on the subject, so I'll give you my "two cents" -- if you don't mind:

If you think about the trouble reconstruction surgeons to go when trying to expand and stretch the scalp (google "scalp expanders" in reconstructive cases) and how much of the tensile strength returns just during the period while the staples/stitches are in, it stands to reason that it's quite difficult to really "stretch" out the scar on your own.

Because of this, Dr Feller started allowing more and more activity after the sutures/staples came out of his FUT patients years ago. After noticing no appreciable difference in the scars in those who were very active versus those who were not, he began recommending returning to regular exercise/activity after the sutures/staples were removed (10-14 days). No difference was noticed in the final scarring. As long as tension is taken off the wound during the critical healing phases, the body nearly always takes over and heals as it will. Most are "normal healers" and will have a "good" scar (by refined hair transplant standards).

In patients who are very, very worried about it, I tell them they can restrict the specific exercises I discussed above until they aren't as concerned, but I always tell them that I really don't believe it will affect the scar. Knowing this, I wouldn't worry -- at all -- about normal head motion for the first few months.

Now, having said all that, remember that it is extremely important to follow your clinic's specific post-operative instructions "to a T." Dr K may feel differently about scar stretching, and you should definitely "double check" with him and follow his instructions closely.

If you'd like more information about the whole scar stretching phenomenon, here's a video you may find helpful:

And here are a few examples of FUT scars in normal healers. These are guys who were told to go back to regular exercise/activity routines (and did so) after the staples came out 10-14 days later.

Hope this was helpful! Best of luck.

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Mosd,

While it is always great to continue learning after you receive a hair transplant it is imperative that you follow the post surgery guidance of your doctor first and foremost. This isn't meant to lessen the value of the advice given in this thread already but your doctor's advice should be the advice you follow.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Mos,

Not a problem! Glad it was helpful.

If one of our FUT patients asked about this type of exercise 2 weeks post-op, I would say it was okay.

Again, definitely check with Dr K too.

Good luck!

thanks again doc,

i have good contact with my doctor, just wanted to search for other opinions :)

So the crucial healing time is from the operation and 10-14 days forward. And under this period you can still move your head freely and sleep on the scar? Or what tension should one watch out for under the "crucial" period.

thanks once again :)

Mosd,

While it is always great to continue learning after you receive a hair transplant it is imperative that you follow the post surgery guidance of your doctor first and foremost. This isn't meant to lessen the value of the advice given in this thread already but your doctor's advice should be the advice you follow.

i will follow my doctors advice :) Thanks!