What should I do? Propecia question

MyNameIsRich

I've been using Propecia (as well as Rogaine twice daily and Nizoral 3 times a week) since Late march now, originally on 1mg for around a month (until i noticed sexual side effects, mainly complete loss of sexdrive and ability to get a real erection). Since then, I was on a 1/4mg daily dosage, which seemed to work ok, my sexdrive had returned, though if i'm honest I think it is less frequently occurring. However, recently I've found that my sexdrive has depleted again, as well as the ability to get a full or spontaneous erection. As well as this, my hair loss hasn't been slowing down either, the hairline is still receding. I really don't know what to do, I feel hopeless. 22, losing hair and can't even take the medication to halt DHT. I'm worried that if i stop, I'm going to lose a lot of hair in the next few months.

What do you all suggest I do?

I've been considering switching to Saw Palmetto daily instead, but I've read a lot about it and it doesn't seem to be that useful for hair, even though it tackles DHT. :/

You are in a tough situation if you are experiencing side effects when taking finasteride and the side effects go away when you are off the finasteride, then it can definitely be the finasteride causing the side effects. Less than 2% of people do experience sexual sides effects and you can be in that in that small percentile. Propecia has been proven to be the most effect non surgical treatment for genetic hair loss, but if you keep experiencing side effect when on it, it might not be in your best interest to stay on it since you are only 22. I do know Saw Palmmetto is suppose to decrease the production of DHT, but IMO I am not sure it really decreases it enough to really stop genetic hair loss. With that being said I would not discourage you from trying it, but I would definitely stay with the Rogaine and Nizoral, that is the best suggestion I can offer you. Good Luck!

Edited by Stuart01

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

I tend to to think the 2% figure is rubbish too - when I took it I suffered from the same side effects and felt more depressed about those than the hairloss - even after coming off propecia it took ages for me to start functioning normally sexually again. It's your choice at the end of the day, but I know I would never touch propecia again , I am convinced it is more dangerous than claimed.

I've been using Propecia (as well as Rogaine twice daily and Nizoral 3 times a week) since Late march now, originally on 1mg for around a month (until i noticed sexual side effects, mainly complete loss of sexdrive and ability to get a real erection). Since then, I was on a 1/4mg daily dosage, which seemed to work ok, my sexdrive had returned, though if i'm honest I think it is less frequently occurring. However, recently I've found that my sexdrive has depleted again, as well as the ability to get a full or spontaneous erection. As well as this, my hair loss hasn't been slowing down either, the hairline is still receding. I really don't know what to do, I feel hopeless. 22, losing hair and can't even take the medication to halt DHT. I'm worried that if i stop, I'm going to lose a lot of hair in the next few months.

I've been considering switching to Saw Palmetto daily instead, but I've read a lot about it and it doesn't seem to be that useful for hair, even though it tackles DHT. :/

Try lowering the dose. the way I see it, if you are getting sides then it probably means the drug is 'working' but the doseage doesnt need to be so high.

Try 1/4 every other day or every 3 days.

Are you sure your hairloss is not caused by the rogaine shedding phase?

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Try lowering the dose. the way I see it, if you are getting sides then it probably means the drug is 'working' but the doseage doesnt need to be so high.

Try 1/4 every other day or every 3 days.

Are you sure your hairloss is not caused by the rogaine shedding phase?

I still got side effects when I cut round down to 1mg a week !! It's awful stuff that screws up your hormones in my opinion

Dude, if you are getting sides like that on as little as 1/4 mg a day then quit this stuff ASAP. Beleive me you will feel way more depressed being impotent (god forbid) than being completly bald.

Stay on rogaine and the shampoo if they are not causing sides, and you can do an HT after some years.