Advice needed, In London thinking about a hair transplant

jessh41

Hi,

I have been losing my hair for about 5 -7 years and have a bald spot in the crown (like my grandfather so believe it is heredetary)

It is starting to bother me and I would really like to feel better about myself and am therefore seriously considerign hair transplant surgery after hearing of a friends brother who had this done in the Far East.

I am in the Uk and would like to get this done here unless there is a real cost saving by going abroad. I am very uncertain about how my hair will grow back what happens before and after surgery, % chance of the surgery being successful and the cost. Would really love to hear stories, hear about various surgeons before committing.

Thanks

Jess

Be careful with the hair clinics over there. Hardly any good ones. Check out Farjo but I would consider going abroad as well. Take your time and research, research, research!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks, aaron.

Seems like a lot of people are going to America? How does it work with consultations and how many visits are required, definitely curious if you have to go for consulting or jist for the op?

Thanks

Jess

avoid UK,the best Hair docs are in Canada,USA and Belgium.

you can contact their websites/reps and send photos for consultation + most of them do in person consultation in UK (London) from time to time.

I'm in the UK and it didn't take me long to work out that Britain was NOT the place to have this procedure, no disrespect to any of the surgeons but (to my eyes, at least) there is far superior work done abroad. If you spend some time on here you'll see the same names cropping up that are held with the highest regard.

I was fortunate in that my first choice (Dr Feller in New York) came to London for consultations so I was able to meet with him in person. I know others have travelled without meeting their doctor first but personally I'm very glad I met Dr. Feller (and Spex!) in person before making my decision. I fly out for the surgery at the end of July.

You can have consultations with as many doctors as you want until you feel informed enough to make a choice. Some go for the online consultations with photographs and stuff, which may be the way you need to go if you choose a doctor from abroad....or maybe you'll get lucky like I did.

Since you're new I'd say just keep reading the forums, all the information is here ... researching will help you make an informed choice.

My flights to New York are costing ?500, so I'm not SAVING money by going abroad (as per the question in your original post) but I'm almost certainly getting a better quality of surgeon. I think Belgium is the best place in Europe but for me, USA and Canada stand out the most. I haven't really looked into the Asian countries but they post lots of results online too so that is also worth a look.

Good luck!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Thanks bucksred, had a great conversation with Spex. Spencer took the time to spend 45 mins on the phone with me giving great advice, being totally impartial and most of all recommending taking my time and doing lots of research. A great guy in my opinion. He also recommended seeking out JoeTronic and speaking to him which I will try to do.

For anyone reading this unsure of what to do, recommend spex, look at the spexhair website, of course there are loads of other great people..some of whom have posted on my thread, spex is the only one I have spoken to so far. And I intend to do my research and speak to more people as suggested.

Jess