10 - 11 days post op some light shedding... Normal??

Ok so yesterday I was my 10th day post op after a 2650 graft hairline lowering transplant with Dr Damkerng Pathomavanich. I went and got my stitches removed and my donor area now feels 100% better and I can now actually put my head on a pillow without any pain. I have had no bleeding of grafts but on day 5 noticed 3 small hairs in the sink and worried, Dr said not to worry. I also have had no swelling whatsovever and washed my hair twice a day with the shampoo provided since transplant. I have wore a beanie hat since and sweat on some days as its hot in Thailand and done some day trips but always shower at night before bed.

The Dr told me to put olive oil on graft area and start lightly rubbing and use shower to remove crusts so I have done this and always do it over a white sink so I can see any lost hair. I have noticed sometimes there are 3-6 hairs which are obviously grafts in the sink after cleaning hair. These are definitely parts of the grafter hair as i have long hair covering the rest of my head. Is it too early to be shedding or am I a quick healer? now as though I asked the Dr if I can drink alcohol and he said yes no problem now after 10 days.

Other than this things seem to be clearing up nicely and healing.

My question is ....Is this all ok?? please be honest as I am getting a bit paranoid! 10- 11 days shedding... alcohol can be drank now... and i rub at my grafts to remove scabs?

In my opinion everything is okay and normal, the grafts will almost all be gone in 4-6 weeks, you will see them when your washing your hair, you may even look slightly worse than when you started. Shock loss can last up to 3 months, but hopefully your hair will grow back, as is the case with most.

Being paranoid is all normal, you will question the surgery, keep looking on the mirror, feel anxious etc. just hang in there and remember nothing will change for 3 months, after that you will see the growth. You will know if you have lost a graft if you noticed blood, so don't worry.

The opinions are my own I'm not qualified, just a bloke 3:5 months post his FUT op.

Bucks

At 10-12 days post-op, you are fine. Actually, I am more surprised that you are not seeing more hair in the sink. Shockloss for most patients sets in more like 2-3 weeks post-op and that is when you start seeing more native hair fall out. Again, perfectly normal.

Many docs will want their patients to begin removing the crusts at this point in time as well. Many of the hair shafts within the grafts will come off with the crusts, some will stay.

Wishing you happy regrowth! :cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thank you very much for the replies and well wishes, been getting worried! As far as shockloss is concerned I don't believe I have actually shed any of my original hair shafts as that hair is 4-6 inches long and would definitely notice. Just seems like the standard 4-8 original hairs each time I wash. Maybe this will I have been washing twice a day too. I think now I will go back to just once. Do you think i can go back to my normal shampoo now which is Alpecin caffeine shampoo?

Really not necessary to wash your hair twice a day. That can dry out your hair.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 1 year later...
Glad your feeling better from reading your replies mate, the first 3 months post op are really hard.

Take care and happy growing.

Hey man! Hope you had good growth! So, how did it go? Im about 12 days post op and I feel a little bit paranoid myself questioning some things. Expected more densety when the crusts fell out bit maybe I has some shedding or maybe its because the transplanted hair does not grow in the beginning before it falls out.