Women and propecia

cimbom

Hello,

I have just been prescribed propecia by a doctor and want to know people's opinions on the safety of the drug for women. He has told me to take half a tablet twice a week. I am also currently taking Androcur (cyproterone acetate). Should I just try it and see how I go?

Thanks

Below information are from propecia website:

Important Risk Information About PROPECIA

PROPECIA is for the treatment of male pattern hair loss in MEN ONLY and should NOT be used by women or children.

Women who are or may potentially be pregnant must not use PROPECIA and should not handle crushed or broken PROPECIA tablets because the active ingredient may cause abnormalities of a male baby's sex organs. If a woman who is pregnant comes into contact with the active ingredient in PROPECIA, a doctor should be consulted. PROPECIA tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets are not broken or crushed

source: How Does PROPECIA<sup>®</sup> (finasteride) Work?

Important Risk Information About PROPECIA

PROPECIA is for the treatment of male pattern hair loss in MEN ONLY and should NOT be used by women or children.

You should not use PROPECIA if you are allergic to finasteride or any of the ingredients of PROPECIA.

Women who are or may potentially be pregnant must not use PROPECIA and should not handle crushed or broken PROPECIA tablets because the active ingredient may cause abnormalities of a male baby's sex organs. If a woman who is pregnant comes into contact with the active ingredient in PROPECIA, a doctor should be consulted. PROPECIA tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets are not broken or crushed

Some physicians prescribe Finasteride to women who are either post menopausal or can't have or won't have children. But they must first make sure it is genetic hair loss caused by DHT for it to even work.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

My mother started losing hair at the same age that I did so I am pretty sure that it is the case.

Regarding the pregnancy aspect, my doctor advised me that I would need to stop taking it if I was considering having children in the near future (not sure how soon this would need to be though). I'm not sure about having kids at this stage but it would be 3 years away at the very least. Androcur also has similar warnings as Propecia and I have been taking that for 6 years so I'm not sure if its even worth being cautious.

This may sound "selfish" but I'd rather have hair than children, because I don't think I'd be in the best place emotionally/mentally to be a mother with the stress of hair loss hanging over my head. Even if I don't have kids, at least I'll be a happier person.

Is there any way to test if the medication is still in your system after you stop taking it?

I personally wouldn't consider Propecia if I were a female, it has been stated that it is not for women. Hell, I'm a male and I refuse to take it.

Do any of the health professionals on here have an opinion on this or anecdotal evidence to share?

It's obviously not my first choice to take it but I don't have too many options left. I think men with hair loss have a much easier time than women, especially young women who are already under a lot of pressure regarding their appearance.

Maybe I wouldn't care so much if I was 65 but at 26, it's going to be very important to me. I just hope that it has some benefit. My doctor claims that it's working for other female patients of his but who knows.

cimborm,

I hope other health professional give you some openions here.

one thing you might have to consider, as you know even if propecia woks for you, you have to take it on a daily basis for life. so in case you were tying to make a family, then you should quit it at leat a month in advaned to be in the safe side and then again around 9 months during your pregnancy, i would guess during that time you might lose most of the hair you gaied with propecia which will be devastating

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks aim4hair. My prescription is for half a tablet, two times a week. According to my doctor, treatment is not required during pregnancy because of the hormone changes that occur, such as estrogen levels going up, so hair loss actually improves during that period. I would like to get other opinions to confirm how true this is though.

I will think about it for a few weeks before deciding.