Moment of truth

cimbom

Hello,

Just thought I'd post as I have an appointment with a doctor in Australia tomorrow. I will find out whether I am suitable candidate for HT surgery. I am very nervous as I have heard that most women are not deemed suitable. I am not planning to use this doctor but I think they will probably be able to ascertain whether I am suitable. I have also asked them to take scalp photos for me. I will email these to doctors overseas whose work I have found to be well done (mainly Dr Rahal and Hasson+Wong) but will still do more research. This will allow me to get a second and third opinion.

Wish me luck. I will update you all tomorrow. I don't know what I'll do if I'm not suitable as I've put all my hopes onto being able to have the surgery. I think it's my last hope.

:confused:

Cimbom,

Good luck. I hope you are. You are very young and this worries me a little. Have you seen a doctor to ascertain why your hair is thinning? Are you on any medication? Have you had any blood work done?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hello again,

Just got back from the doctor. He said I should be taking my meds (Androcur) more often. I take 100mg x 10 days per month. He advised that I should take 50mg every day. He also gave me a script for Finastirine, which seems a bit scary but I am happy to try anything at this stage.

Spanker, my mother also got hair loss young so it's bad luck in that respect. A good thing is that because of her, I made sure to get in early and get treatment. She waited until her 40s and saw some improvement with minoxidil but her hair is still very thin.

Good news - the doctor I saw said I am a candidate. The main area of concern for me atm is the inner front corners (if that makes sense). He said that the hair here is too far gone for meds to do anything so a HT will be needed. He said I will need about 1000 grafts to fill in this area - I was expecting a slighty higher number but maybe he is more conservative, who knows. He quoted $6500 for this though! He said the hairs in my donor area are good and haven't really miniturised so that is good too. I am waiting for him to email me the photos so I can forward them on for further assessment.

He said the meds should help keep what I have and stop it getting worse. I hope he is right. I can then fill in the gaps with HT. Fingers crossed

Rev3, not sure. I am a bit of both. I have two sections of the corners of my hair where the hair is pretty much gone. However, my top layer of hair covers it. It does make my hair look thin though and I can feel it. I also have a bit of diffuse thiinning on the top and sides but the meds have kept this in control.

That is a premium price. I would come to North America for that kind of dough. Could be a little on the steep side since it would likely be a non-shaven procedure.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

That's fine. Do any of you know anything about women taking Propecia? The doctor assured me that it's fine and that he has prescribed it for many female patients but I've read a lot of warnings saying that it's not safe for women.

Still waiting to get my photos. I think he may have an idea about what I want to do so he doesn't want to send them. Looks like I'll have to take some myself tomorrow.

Finasteride works in women with genetic hair loss. As long as you don't plan on getting pregnant you should be fine.

Are you using Minoxidil also?

Androcur isn't available in the U.S., but is available everywhere else. It works similar to Spironolactone. I use Spironolactone and it seems to have had added benefits to everything else I also take.

I am actually very happy to hear it is genetic loss. That means you should respond well to the meds. A lot of women have diffuse loss on the whole scalp, so it's good to hear that yours is in a pattern and that your donor hair is safe!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I'm not using Minoxidil as I didn't like it when I tried it for 1-2 years and got some side effects. I'm not sure if it did much anyway.

I will ask the doctors I'm considering for HT surgery about Propecia for women and see what they say.

I PM'd you Jollyfolly

I got my first recommendation yesterday. It was from H&W. They are recommending 1,500 to 2,000 grafts which came as a bit of surprise compared to the other doctor's recommendation. I guess it's an indication of the confidence they have in their abilities though. Now waiting to hear back from Dr Rahal.

Any recommendations for good HT surgeons around the NY area? Or are the above two better?

• 2 weeks later...