Is shaving the recipient area really necessary?

clanvin

Dear All,

I'm going to be having a 2nd HT later in the year after the 1st HT partially failed. Have narrowed it to 2 doctors and see virtually no difference between the 2 except that one slightly recommends shaving the donor area whilst the other more strongly recommends it.

I'm a Norwood 5 in the recipient area (place where I'm going bald and will be receiving the hair from the donor area),my job is such that the current economic crisis reduces number of days I can take off work. So if I return 1 week later, my fears are it'll look pretty bad for a few weeks as not only the redness is still there but it's highly visible as the area is shaved. And the quality of hair I anyway have their is low - so few weeks could easily be few months for that pre-existing hair to grow back.

I'm leaning towards permitting them to cut it short or shave partially but wondered what difference it makes - if its 98 Vs 100 there isn't much but 70 Vs 100 there certainly is.

Many thanks for your feedback

How many grafts are you shooting for in this surgery?

I think most of the mega-session surgeons require shave-down.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Honestly, if I had 3000 grafts done, I would INSIST being shaved in the recipient. Otherwise, damage could be done to native hair. Plus, being shaved down the techs can plant the grafts faster.

If you are truly a NWV, what are you worried about? I also hope you are using a recommended physician!!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

...one slightly recommends shaving the donor area whilst the other more strongly recommends it.

The donor area? Are you getting FUE? And 3000 grafts is recommended while you stated you are a NW5?

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

one slightly recommends shaving the donor area whilst the other more strongly recommends it.

You meant the recipient region, correct?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yes indeed a recommended doctor - will be either Ferudini or Devroye.

Yes the recipient area - the crown is where I am a Norwood 5, other surrounding parts are a 4+.

Am I missing something here, I am a Norwood 5...I will be shaved in that area for the new grafts to be planted so effectively I am a Norwood 8 with a whole lot of redness and crusting and the only way it can be hidden is there is existing hair to camouflage it or else I have to stay indoors for a month. Unfortunately I do have to return to work in a week.

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Yes indeed a recommended doctor - will be either Ferudini or Devroye.

Yes the recipient area - the crown is where I am a Norwood 5, other surrounding parts are a 4+.

Am I missing something here, I am a Norwood 5...I will be shaved in that area for the new grafts to be planted so effectively I am a Norwood 8 with a whole lot of redness and crusting and the only way it can be hidden is there is existing hair to camouflage it or else I have to stay indoors for a month. Unfortunately I do have to return to work in a week.

Your thoughts are welcomed.

I'm still a bit confused. Are you doing FUT (strip) or FUE? If you shave the recipient area for an FUT procedure it will definitely be apparent a week post-op. If you shave the entire head for FUE (which you usually have to for larger FUE sessions) then it might be less noticeable because the healing process is much easier. Redness could last for months.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hey,

I'm doing FUT - strip....yeah so that's the thing -

I do the FUT strip - I must return to work a week late, fine even if I stretch it further

I am ultimately a Norwood 5 - so I go away, they shave my head in recipient area and I return to work with much less hair than when I went. And possible redness showing.

It'll be soo obvious I think for atleast a month.

Only solution is 1 month off work - which is my entire annual leave/is never granted

:-((

If you are doing strip, they shave just enough of the donor area to cut out the size strip they need. Once that is sewn up there is virtually no shaved area left in the donor area, and your hair covers the scar.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dear All,

I'm going to be having a 2nd HT later in the year after the 1st HT partially failed. Have narrowed it to 2 doctors and see virtually no difference between the 2 except that one slightly recommends shaving the donor area whilst the other more strongly recommends it.

I'm a Norwood 5 in the recipient area (place where I'm going bald and will be receiving the hair from the donor area),my job is such that the current economic crisis reduces number of days I can take off work. So if I return 1 week later, my fears are it'll look pretty bad for a few weeks as not only the redness is still there but it's highly visible as the area is shaved. And the quality of hair I anyway have their is low - so few weeks could easily be few months for that pre-existing hair to grow back.

I'm leaning towards permitting them to cut it short or shave partially but wondered what difference it makes - if its 98 Vs 100 there isn't much but 70 Vs 100 there certainly is.

Many thanks for your feedback

Hey Mate;

Shaving is highly recommended by the vast majority of the top HTN recommended surgeons. Particularly when you are having a high number of grafts transplanted. Shaving for even the smallest surgery also is important to fight infection. It's a pretty straight forward not nearly as obtuse as Hamlet...LOL...seriously mate, shaving is the preferred way to go.:)

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum