THINNER Than BEFORE!!

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to get the thoughts and advice from experienced members.

Bill was already nice enough to provide his thoughts in an email, but I'm curious what others think.

I had a 3,500 graft FUE two years ago from a well-known and highly respected doctor...a pioneer in the field and a really nice doc...and although it looked GOOD, I still thought that it came out thinner than it should have. The doctor agreed with me on this and three months ago he added 900 grafts to the area for free.

Now I'm concerned and freaking out a little because everything looks so much THINNER than it was before the second surgery!!!!!

I'm now starting to wonder if this was a BIG Mistake to have the second surgery and I'm feeling afraid I may regret the decision.

I know it's only been three months, but the entire forehead region looks different than it did before...there is SO much scalp visible, but the hair is already an inch long, and BEFORE the second surgery, when the hair was an inch long, it was much more dense and thicker.

I know that before the second surgery he completely shaved the older set of 3,500 grafted hairs on my forehead from two years ago, and then (I think) he implanted the new 900 hair grafts AROUND the older ones, but it looks like the older hairs have not grown back!

Or maybe it's an illusion, because I really don't think many hairs from the new 900 grafts have fallen out from Shock Loss. So, to me, it looks like after three months there is the hair he just implanted, which are now an inch long, and have bigger spaces between them, and the older 3,500 grafted hairs he shaved have not grown back.

Is this possible? That's how it looks to me.

Is it possible that he implanted these new 900 grafts directly ON TOP of the older ones and destroyed them?

I guess I'm wondering, HOW is it that everything looks SO much thinner than it was BEFORE my second surgery when the hair was the same length?

Shoudn't by now it be at least as thick as it was before the second surgery?

Sorry for the long message...I hope I haven't confused you. I'm starting to freak out a little.

Thanks!

• Moderators

When you place grafts in an area that already has hair you will most likely experience some shock loss of the previous hair. It sounds like that's what happened. It should all grow back in a few months.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Well, at three months post-op you might be still dealing with some shock loss. Completely normal to look thinner at three months. Just wait and be patient. Around month 6 you should start seeing a difference for the better. If not then you may have a reason to worry.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I'm at the 3 month mark, the same questions I'm asking myself. The vets seem to think its that horrible waiting game, you and me mate need to see where we are in another 3 months, we are fresh out the ugly duckling stage ( I just posted my Picts at 3 mths today, have a look).

take care Bucks

J,

A few comments/questions:

1. Are you currently taking any preventive hair loss medications (Rogaine/Propecia)? If not, the thinner appearance could easily be due to your progressive hair loss.

2. At 3 months, it's definitely too early to make any evaluations (even if you do think the new work is making the older transplant appear thinner). Frankly, I'd wait until month 12 to fully evaluate the newest FUE procedure, but I do think it might be a good idea to investigate preventive medications and discuss your concerns with your surgeon in the meantime.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks Guys,

Someone asked for BEFORE and AFTER Pics, so here they are for you to evaluate.

Again, I was pretty pleased with the results after my first surgery two years agao, but when the light hit the hair it still seemed thin, so the doc did a SECOND surgery three months ago and added 900 grafts.

Now, I'm freaking out at how thin it is!! Thinner than BEFORE the second sugery, and now I'm thinking that IF this all thickens up, it seems like it will only get back to what it was before the surgery, meaning it was all for nothing. I'm starting to feel some REGRET at having the second surgery!!!!

Please give me your thoughts and evaluation...Thank You.

5b32d319cc7fc_BEFORESecondSurgery.jpg.f84076c0fd3c48708f21eb6a7ac2facf.jpg

5b32d319d8866_AFTERSecondSurgery.JPG.8d626b9c0f54d203ff8d14e644d49670.JPG

Buckred,

I guess we just need to hang in there...it's an excrutiating waitimg game.

Blake,

the doc has me on Minoxidil.

Alewxdelarge,

I just don't feel comfortable yet posting the docs name. In time. I want to see what happens.

If you have shockloss, I wouldn't cast any judgement until 6 months post op but ideally 12 months.

It will look worse for a while unfortunately and will put you behind schedule.

I had it but mine improved very quickly.

Who was your doctor?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.