Low platelet count

Hi folks,

I'm a 31 year old male and have been experiencing male pattern baldness related hairloss since the age of 18. Over the last 4 years I have been trying to arrange for a hair transplant, but have discovered along the way that I have a low platelet count. Normal levels are between 150000 and 450000 per microlitre and mine are usually around 110000.

Over the last two years I have been working with my G.P. to increase the platelet count. I have tried most natural remedies and a two week course of steroids (prednisone) but was only able to achieve a level of 128000 microlitres

I have been in touch with a couple of hair transplant clinics in the UK and they say had never had a patient with a low platelet count in the past, so are not sure what the procedure would be for a successful transplant. However, they are apprehensive to go ahead with surgery with a platelet count below the normal level.

My G.P. assures me that my platelet count would never cause an issue in normal life, or with surgery, but obviously hair transplant surgery is very different from other forms of surgery.

Do you guys know what the threshold platelet count level is for FUE?

Many thanks

i've been on propecia for 15 years and have had a low platelet count since 2000

so if propecia has been linked to low platelet count and propecia is recommended to slow hair loss/grow hair

not sure why your doctors of choice have nixed your booking surgery with them

oh, forgot to ask: are you on propecia

check this out:

Finasteride-induced thrombocytopenia - Kouriefs - 2002 - BJU International - Wiley Online Library

Wow Rev3 thank you for posting that link. I too have suffered from mild low platelets the last 3 years. I am going to investigate this further as well as share this study with my hematologist who has run tons of tests without being able to determine the cause of my low platelets.

BTW Rev3 are you still taking propecia in light of this study?

Has your doctor had any thoughts about your low platelets and propecia?

Are there other options besides propecia?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

shinytop as stated above I too suffer from some mild low blood platelet counts. I recently made an appointment for HT surgery and listed my low platelets on the patient information page and the doctor made no comment about it being a problem as far as having HT surgery. Of course when they are mildly low it is maybe different than if someone has super low platelets.

I was totally unaware that propecia has been linked to low platelets. I am going to look into this further. I will share with you that I read tons of stuff on the internet about low platelets and discovered some think taking "Papaya Leaf Extract" can help increase platelet counts. I thought what the heck and tried it. After taking it for three months I went back to my hematologist for a regular check of my platelet count and guess what? Yep my platelets had risen for the first time in 3 years. Look I am not a doctor and this could be a fluke...who knows. But I am continuing to take drops of Papaya Leaf Extract in water every single day.

Here is where I buy my 4oz Liquid Extract:

Iowa Select Herbs

Hi folks,

Yes I am on Finasteride (1.25mg per day) and have been for about 4 years.

I think they have been a little low for at least 5 years, so I don’t think Fin is the cause in my case, but may very well not be helping.

I've tried many things to raise my platelets:

• Papaya leaf tea and extract
  • IPT kit
  • Sesame oil
  • Super healthy diet - no sugar, gluten, dairy

Nothing has worked for me to be honest. Even the steroids only knocked the levels up a tiny amount.

The problem is, because my levels are only a fraction under normal, my G.P. is not prepared to do anything more to get the levels up as they wouldn't cause any issue in normal life. Having said that, I don't think I'd want to go near Prednisone again. That stuff really messes up your body!

Also I think it's down to the clinic's experience with the issue. Because they had never come across this as an issue before, they just aren't sure what to do with me. I totally understand of course. There's no point going through the stress and cost of a HT if its ultimately going to be unsuccessful. They tell me the implanted hairs will just get pushed out if it doesn't clot at the normal rate.

But there are other factors that determine clotting speed besides platelet count. For example, I know vitamin k and iron increase clotting. So who knows, it may be possible to have a low platelet count and no issue with clotting :confused:

Wow Rev3 thank you for posting that link. I too have suffered from mild low platelets the last 3 years. I am going to investigate this further as well as share this study with my hematologist who has run tons of tests without being able to determine the cause of my low platelets.

BTW Rev3 are you still taking propecia in light of this study?

Has your doctor had any thoughts about your low platelets and propecia?

Are there other options besides propecia?

yes!

none whatsoever

this is the first time i even linked the two

then did a google search

i always wondered why i had low platelet count

i've had surgery with this without any questions from the surgeon...

maybe because they are still in triple digits

rev3....I wonder if we find that propecia is at least partly related

to our low platelet count would Avodart be a good different option?

Platelets help the blood clot. So does Vitamin K. Eating lots of leafy greens or other green vegetables high in Vitamin K or taking a Vitamin K supplement will help with blood clotting. I'm not sure if it will alter your platelet count though.

Vitamin K is so powerful at thickening the blood that you are advised to avoid any foods containing it while taking blood thinners like Coumadin, Aggrenox, etc.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

RCWest....I notice you take Avodart. Do you think most doctors if I explained why I would

like to switch from Propecia to Avodart would gladly oblige and write an RX for Avodart instead?

RCWest....I notice you take Avodart. Do you think most doctors if I explained why I would

like to switch from Propecia to Avodart would gladly oblige and write an RX for Avodart instead?

Many doctors, if you explain what you are trying to achieve and you explain that Avodart is like Propecia but much stronger, and studies show it does grow more hair, shouldn't really have a problem with it.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

rev3....I wonder if we find that propecia is at least partly related

to our low platelet count would Avodart be a good different option?

not sure.

i have heard of people switching to avodart from propecia have experienced some shedding

my levels were between 105,000 and 120,000 for 10 years

last year went on no sugar/high fat diet

my levels have been hovering around 140,000

on 2 blood tests

I have never heard of this being an issue with the overall success of a HT procedure however I highly recommend that you present this issue to several renowned HT surgeons for their opinions.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

In reality, these days the slits for the grafts are extremely small compared to the mini/micrograft days. Even with water for blood, there usually isn't much bleeding unless you have taken natural blood thinners like NSAIDS, Green Tea, Vitamin E, etc.

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

I'll add my 2 cents. Platelets are THE initial clotting mechanism. I might consider a strip, as I could suture ligate any significant bleeding, but I would not offer an FUE to someone with low platelets. Several hundred oozing/bleeding 1.0mm punch holes could be a disaster. I do agree with RCWest that the slit recipient holes are so small I doubt it would be a problem with 100k or more platelets. Everyday we have a few triple slits that ooze until we put a nice graft in there and stop it.

Be careful before proceeding.

And most importantly, find out why you have low platelets and make sure its not something that will shorten your life. Then worry about your hair.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I'll add my 2 cents. And most importantly, find out why you have low platelets and make sure its not something that will shorten your life. Then worry about your hair. Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Thank for your comments Dr. Lindsey. I have had low platelets in the 110-128 range for about three years. I have been back on propecia roughly for about the same time. In this thread there was some information about propecia and low platelets possibly having a link. I am now considering stopping propecia to see if my platelet count would rise. Roughly how long do you think I would need to be off propecia to see if there was a link? A month? 3 months? 6 months? a year? 2 years?

No earthly idea. Consult a hematologist please.

Will do Doctor. I have been under the care of a hematolgist for two years. I am going to show him this case report discussing a possible link between low platelets and propecia. Until I get in to see him I have stopped taking propecia to see if it will have any impact when he runs the blood-work.

I've been in touch with a few of the well known HT clinics.

The response has been very positive - most say my levels (around 120k if I do all the right things) shouldn't cause a problem. One clinic says they have operated on two patients with a count of 120k without issue.

It would be nice to know if there was a definative bleed time cut off point, as we could easy have that test done at the doctors.

Still, this gives me confidence moving on :)

Sounds like you are making progress and hope things work out for you.

Don"t be surprised if your hemotolgist does not know much about Propecia. Any links or articles that you can share would be helpful.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY