What is the number of hair lost daily by a normal non balding person?

I have searched the internet this question "losing how many hair a day is normal?"

I've got results varying from 20-25 in some websites to 100-125 in majority of sites , 15-20 as suggested by an amateur trichologist in richfeel clinic to around 100 as suggested by a hair transplant doctor I met.

So what is the normal daily hair fall number??

Rahul,

Although it's anecdotal, the number I've heard most frequently is 50-100 hairs a day.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

For a person that does not have MPB or any other hairloss issue, the norm is approximately 100- 150 hairs per day. That's just from normal grooming.

Grooming, combing, brushing pulls out the normal hairs in the catogen stage of the hair cycle.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 11 months later...

Have you considered washing your hair less often? Like maybe every other day? Whenever I used to wash my hair daily, it got brittle and very dry, and I was still using a high end conditioner.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I have searched the internet this question "losing how many hair a day is normal?"

I've got results varying from 20-25 in some websites to 100-125 in majority of sites , 15-20 as suggested by an amateur trichologist in richfeel clinic to around 100 as suggested by a hair transplant doctor I met.

So what is the normal daily hair fall number??

Hello RahulReddy,

The normal human hair growth cycle has a pretty wide range to actual hair shafts shedding daily. Research has shone that to range from 50 to 100 years per day. Shedding beyound that should be brought to the attention of a medical professional. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 2 weeks later...

At a lecture somewhere I heard 200. BUT, I'm sure it varies just as people's head and hair varies. So I'd expect a smaller-headed person with really thick hair shafts, but fewer shafts overall, would shed less daily than a larger headed person with dense but fine hair.

Bottom line is that if you are worried you are losing your hair, EVERY hair seems like its too many to lose...but a certain amount will shed just going through the natural cycle.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians