Propecia Dosage/Advice Update

cinematic

I'm one of the guys that flipped flop back and forth on whether or not to take Propecia... I tried it for 3 months several years ago and scared myself into side effects. When I went off of it, things 'bounced' back in a matter of weeks. After being off of it for over a year, I became desperate enough to give it another shot. Started taking .625 on MWF almost 5 months ago. About two months into trying it the second time, I bumped up the dosage to 1mg MWF. And now I'm working my way up to 1mg Monday through Friday.

I believe the sexual side effects I have experienced thus far, for the most part, are indeed psychological. I have been able to perform sexually just fine (albeit with watery semen), until I start thinking about not being able to perform and then of course I can't! The good news for me is that I really do believe I am in the clear with regard to significant side effects - I just have to keep reminding myself of that and not scaring myself into falling back on fear.

So now it's almost 4.5 months and I am taking 1mg 4 times a week. What should my goal dosage be? Should 1mg on Monday through Friday be enough? Or should I go for 1mg a day? Or perhaps 1.25 on MWF? I am doing my best to cut proscar into 5 even sized 1mg pieces right now...

Up to now I haven't seen any signs of cosmetic improvement and hair continues to fall out. However, at the 4.5 month mark I am now seeing considerable shedding. After running my hands through my hair they are always covered in a lot more hair than normal. Ride it out, right?

Just looking for some guidance and support from those who have been here before me... Thanks.

I didn't start seeing cosmetic improvement until after about 8 months or so, but my hair stopped thinning within the first month, which is a victory in my book!

The recommended dosage is 1 mg. daily, but some hair transplant physicians recommend a 1.25 mg. M/W/F dosing schedule with no loss in benefit.

Edited by RCWest

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Yes you can shed a good bit if you have a lot of miniaturized hairs. You may also be at the end of some of the hairs cycle. Weak hair is coming out to make way for healthier hair. Don't give up hope!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 3 months later...

Dr. Keene (Tuscon, AZ) recommended 2.5mg (half a Proscar) MWF. So I still get 7mg per week without having to quarter the pills. But it sounds like some of you are having success with just 1.25 or 1mg MWF.

I have been taking 1.25 daily for about 1.5 years. Recently I decided to reduce to 5 days per week, so I just skip Friday and Saturday. Too soon to tell, but from everything I have read and seen, I think I will retain the benefits and take less of the drug. I have not had any noticeable sides for the past year. I did have some groin discomfort for a few days a couple of times a few months into taking it which others have also reported. However that subsided and nothing since. I just want to take as little as possible and still have the benefits.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I've been on it for about 3 weeks now, and all was good until last night - My erection was not at all solid when it was supposed to be, (which never in my life happened), and during ejaculation there was almost a pain felt in my testicles.

Can you comment on what your side effects were? I'm scared to death right now, and stopped using it as of today.

If you are having issues you definitely should stop taking it and consult with your doctor. Some people take less of it and the sides go away. The side I had was some mild groin pain for a few days. It happened after I was on it for about 4 months or so and then again a month or two later. Each time it lasted a few days and went away. No sides since then. The drug still scares me though....it is a potent medication. That said, most HT surgeons are supportive of using it as long as it does not cause any side efffects.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I've been on it for about 3 weeks now, and all was good until last night - My erection was not at all solid when it was supposed to be, (which never in my life happened), and during ejaculation there was almost a pain felt in my testicles.

Can you comment on what your side effects were? I'm scared to death right now, and stopped using it as of today.

It made me a bit depressed and yes it does some odd things downstairs. My libido suffered a lot.

Thankfully having come off it everything returned to normal within 2 weeks.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day