Hope for a Hair Loss Cure? PDG2 (Prostaglandin) Compound Linked to Hair Loss

• 5 months later...

I think this is going to be huge and here is why:

Lots of us here place our focus on stem cell research and some new surgical techniques. Although there is a lot of coolness about stem cells, the reality is that the most realistic thing to come out soon is going to be a new drug.

Given the link that has been found between this prostaglandin and men with hair loss, it seems very likely that we might have a winner on our hands here. We can hopefully see this type of drug stopping hair loss to the same degree as propecia. But it seems much less likely that these drugs would bring old follicles back to life. I think they could probably revive "almost dead" follicles like propecia does though.

Now dont get me wrong. I would love to find out that these drugs can turn a NW7 into a full head of hair, but I think this would be really hopeful thinking.

My guess is that DHT causes hair loss through a chain of events. Probably the last event in the chain is for Prostaglandin D2 to get released or somehow held in the follicle. Therefore, these PG2 inhibitors would probably have the same beneficial hair loss effect as propecia but would avoid the change in sex hormones since they would kick in at a later stage in the chemical process of hair loss.

Now I dont know for sure about the mechanism I just wrote about but it seems reasonable.

Does anyone have an actual name for one of the drugs currently under testing? I am trying to research more.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't personally heard any updates regarding the PDG2 research. It is clear inflammation plays a significant role in androgenic alopecia, and the PDG2 may be one piece of the puzzle.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

there was a latter study done that found no link between pgd2 and aga.

Cotsarellis said in 2008 that a treatment could be out in a few years; 6 years latter NO treatment.

Cotsarellis talks alot but has never released any treatments and from i can tell is not about to release one, despite over 20 years of research, he must also be near retirement age so i doubt he'll ever bring out a treatment.

Basically, just ignore him.

Crafter,

Do you have access to this second study? I don't think I've seen it.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.