Finasteride at this stage of hairloss? Stories/experience appreciated.

Hey all,

I think it's time for meds, I know this med is best at preserving hair, which I'm not too concerned about. I'd like to try it for 2 years, if I don't have any gains I can stop.

My question is, have any of you with my stage of hairloss had success in regrowing hair that is noticeable to other people?

I've been on 5% foam for around 9 months, at once or twice a day. I've seen an improvement when my hair is short, but still can't grow it out because of my crown, which imo is worse than receding at the age of 25.

I know chances are slim but progress like this has made me more optimistic. I should have been proactive when I first noticed it..

(Linkd removed by moderator - See Terms of Service)

Propecia Patient Results (with Photos) - Balding Blog

Please share your stories and experience with finasteride, I am ready to get a prescription, any recommendations for reputable/affordable website?

Thanks!

5b32d2270bd9e_Photoon4-3-12at12_30AM.jpg.ff73d9b7db4f542124a3a2edda66ee00.jpg

5b32d22723308_Photoon4-3-12at12.30AM2.jpg.3ac97dbe5ccd1c76a52a7126819a5714.jpg

5b32d2273d52b_Photoon4-3-12at12_31AM.jpg.ad2637b922b88ad2d2b16eb4aa62d623.jpg

5b32d227496d4_Photoon4-3-12at12.31AM5.jpg.05fa7197e440bd1c73e0c41d2a70f8ff.jpg

5b32d2275ef54_Photoon4-3-12at12.31AM4.jpg.85122ed4f9bde73fb1cd95b27a3579d3.jpg

5b32d2276ba83_Photoon4-3-12at12.31AM3.jpg.0fb36ecbb1538eaddc9b781203f98142.jpg

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Hello. I would definitely stick with the foam & try propecia. I've been on propecia for about 3.5 years. My crown seems to be about the same it was when I started propecia.

As for the foam, I've only been on it since Jan so can't comment.

I buy propecia from the Boots chemist. It's not cheap but it's very convenient to buy as I don't need a prescription from the doc anymore & the chemist is 2 minutes walk away from work.

If you decide to take propecia, start low. Maybe a quarter or half a tablet a day & see how you go.

In the end meds can only do so much to help the cause. Having a transplant was the best thing I've ever done

No results except maintaining? Was your hairloss more than mine? Ah I wouldn't wan't a transplant at 25, especially not before trying fin for at least 2 years that way I can take after the transplant. I wan't to be able to shave my head still, scars are minimal but still radiant with shaved head.

Thanks for sharing!

MGZ, it is highly unlikely you will have any regrowth with finasteride in the frontal regions.

I have been on it four to five years.

It works better in the crown to midscalp area for regrowth, where I have seen more examples of this but it is the best non surgical treatment there is and the only one to slow down or stop hair loss .

There is one particular case that sticks out in my mind you can find on hairloss experience posted by True and Dorin where the patient had hair in the front grow back but that is very rare.

If you want your hair back, you need to maintain your native hair with finasteride( and maybe dutasteride but I would consult your doctor if you ever choose to use that) and transplants unfortunately to regain lost hair.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

My hair loss was quite similar to yours when I started Propecia. That was 13+ years ago. My crown thickened up a bit, but the real value of the meds for me has been the preservation of my hair. I've held onto the vast majority of it. I think my hairline may have thinned out just a little bit. Hard to tell without pics to compare. Not too shabby considering all those years.

So, you are definitely a candidate for finasteride at your stage of hair loss. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing some of your stories. Unfortunately at my stage I wouldn't settle for less than at least 20000 grafts, and zero scarring from cloning (decades away). I'm impressed with transplants, but not completely satisfied with just building an illusion and not being able to shave your head. Some guys have ridiculously good results, but I think the vast majority end up with something that suffices, just like meds.

Does everybody recommend a prescription website to make the order? Or are there other reputable site that don't require one?

thanks!

MGZ,

If your mind is made up about not getting a HT, then more power to you. However, your hair loss appears relatively minor - perhaps a Norwood III. In your case, hairline restoration would definitely not require anywhere near 20,000 grafts. I'd say more like 1500 - 2000 grafts depending on the surgeon. Post- HT, your hair wouldn't look like it was before you lost it, but 2000 grafts divided into various hair groupings which are densely packed will probably create more than just the "illusion" of density in your case.

As for scarring, it's true that no HT will result in zero scarring. However, if you went to a proven coalition doctor, opted for FUE and had 2000 or less grafts, it's probable the scarring would be quite minimal. You'd likely be able to buzz your hair down to a #1 with no problems. Shaving your head bald would probably be a no-go. Although, if the smallest possible punches were used safely, and you heal exceptionally well, the scars may be almost imperceptible even bald. I wouldn't count on it, though. Also, some people are opting to get their FUE scars tattooed using scalp micropigmentation (SMP). If done correctly, SMP would effectively camouflage the scarring allowing you to buzz your hair with a zero guard. Word of caution: SMP is a relatively new procedure. It may be wise to wait until more longer-term results are in before committing to it.

I get my Propecia prescriptions through my general practitioner. Don't know about websites for that purpose, but it might be safer for you to go through a doctor as well. You can follow up with periodic blood tests to make sure the meds are not hurting you.

Z

Edited by zenmunk

After viewing many videos I think getting amazing results from 2000 grafts is rare, I would wan't my crown to be as dense at it was when I was 17, and that just isn't a realistic expectation right now. I've also seen many post scar's after 2 years and I definitely can't get away with a number 1.

As for the propecia, I assume your paying regular price ? This is a little out of my price range right now, I couldn't imagine paying more than $2-300 for a years worth.

MGZ,

With your degree of frontal hair loss, I think 2000 densely packed grafts to address ONLY your hairline would probably result in a dramatic improvement (providing you had a good doc and good yield). Of course, it would still be considered a "mature" hairline. If you want the hairline you had in high school (which is usually not a good idea), then, yeah, 2000 grafts isn't even gonna come close.

When you say you've seen many post scars after two years, are you referring to FUT or FUE scars? Many people can buzz down to a #1 after FUE w/o any sign of donor scarring. Doctor/tech skill; punch size; patient healing characteristics; number of extractions; and, extraction patterns all contribute to how noticeable scarring is after FUE.

Regarding your crown, docs are less inclined to invest large amounts of grafts in this area. Cloning is not here yet; donor hair is limited and must be used wisely. Not to say docs won't transplant there, but they call crowns the "black hole" of HT for a reason. You may find that finasteride does a great job at restoring much of the hair you have lost at your crown; that's where finasteride usually shines.

Right, I pay regular price for Propecia. Well, actually slightly discounted, but definitely more than you're willing to spend.

Z

Edited by zenmunk

My hairline has been high my whole life, so no issue there, I would just be restoring what is still outlined with thinner hairs.

I was referring to FUT for scars, and I've heard too much of this black hole which concerns me.

I think a full crown at my age is more important, at least I could still grow my hair out.

I will have to give it a try, I wish there were some more reputable sites to shop from.

BTW do you have before and afters from your experience with propecia?

MGZ,

Your crown is not that bad. I don't think it would take that many grafts to do the job. You could probably find a doc who would transplant there if you insist. However, I would definitely give finasteride at least a year before going the HT route. You may find you won't even need a HT if you're only concerned with your crown.

Sorry, I don't have before and after pics. I started Propecia over 13 years ago. I took a couple of Polaroids just before starting on meds, but have since lost them. However, I assure you that I have maintained the vast majority of my hair since then.

Z

I will definitely give Fin a try, so you had no regrowth.

Also I've been using the Foam for about 8 months now, I heard it was better than generic minox that you rub on, so I'm not sure if getting cheap fin from a website will be as effective as propecia.

Why hasn't anyone recommended a site ye tlol

MGZ,

I did have regrowth in my crown and mid-scalp, but it was minor. Minor was enough though since my hair loss wasn't too bad in those areas. For me, the meds have been most valuable at maintaining my hair.

My doctor said sometimes the delivery method of a drug affects how effective it is. Propecia has a specific shell which holds the finasteride. He said if I were to switch to Proscar or a generic form of Propecia to save money, I may find that they are not as effective as the original Propecia has been for me. So, I'm not willing to take the chance.

I have no experience with Rogaine or similar foams, so I can't comment on them. I tried it a couple times and couldn't stand the process, so I dropped it and chose to depend solely on Propecia. I know they have a synergistic effect, but I just hated how it felt on my head.

Ha, sometimes people just don't read threads. Maybe try another one asking only for people to recommend online sites that sell Propecia. Also, try the search function.

Z