buzz cutting a FUE

I am going to have FUE surgery. my question is, i know when you buzz cut a HT it looks a bit un-natural because the hairs kind of spike up. iv seen people mention you should ask the hairs to be placed facing flat to the scalp during HT if you want to buzz cut it further down the line, the hairs laying flat would look alot better for FUE then them being placed normally. is this true?? also if you had the hairs inserted like that, if you grew your hair out with the hairs lying flat to the scalp, would it still style the same when a bit longer?

I think I know what you mean but I don't think that makes any sense in an operation, the follicles are inserted & sitting spiking up until the shed then grow then come out angled across each other & next to each other. They eventually come flat but as it gets longer they hair can be styled how you want. Can't have grafts slapped in flat

Can't have grafts slapped in flat

OK, if you have straight hair,

Yes, you can have them "slapped in flat" and it does work in giving you vastly more coverage if the hair is cut/buzzed at the right angle.

The spiked look - common for, a) transplants deliberately built for 'illusion of volume' = most HTs, and also b) just a result of poor technique and here the 'spikes' point all over the place - is a disaster for buzzed hair. You are left with flat, soft and fine (often miniaturizing hair) native hair at the periphery and barren pluggy natsy stuff in the transplanted zone. Kind of savanna-grasslands meets sparse cactus desert. Horrible, absolutely shite and buzzing the cactus doesn't help either!

So get them planted flat, but understand it will limit your hairstyle and you will probably have to grow a forward caeser-type thing if you can, rather than the traditional swept back millionaire look that HT's built for illusion of volume are so incredibly good at producing. (All be it with thin crowns!)

But also beware, because sometimes the docs will 'follow your orders' at the expense of some other thing you assumed would be a natural or take-for-granted out come.

I once insisted that pluggy hair be removed and re-planted flat. I insisted! The doc warned me, it will look thinner. I said do it. I had no idea he would move the extracted hair to another part of my head altogether! I assumed it would be re-planted close-by. He didn't say it wouldn't!

So the doc can plant the hair in the angle desired ??

Desired by the patient, right? Well, technically they can plant at a bigger range than is desirable for, 1) optimal survival, 2) blending with existing hair, 3) creating the right angles for the illusion and desired style. N.B. the default HT means 'big hair' all relative of course. But big equates to as close as possible to looking like you are not balding in the area

or this is difficult to achieve ?

I guess it is harder to plant flat angles and there is the added problem of damaging hair behind. I had extremely flat temples planted and both times, they killed hair behind IMO.

if he can why doesn't he mimic the natural appearance of the hair ?

Because it is an illusion and it is counter-productive trying to plant the hair as 'it used to be'. Of course they want naturalness, but the naturalness for most HTs only comes when you hit the 'sweet spot lengths' and the buzz is another story.

In most cases the patient will have at least a few remaining original hairs. The doctor should copy the angle and direction that they are exiting the scalp with the new grafts. If no original hair is remaining then the doctor would have to go by experience and in most cases the hairs are angles in the forward direction.

Right, and this is a generic answer, "in most cases...." to a specific kind of request. So that is why I say "default" . It is important to understand that clinics and docs run on the "autopilot" and when u upset the autopilot, u run a real risk of messing with other variables. If donor hair is planted at angles mimicking the original native hair the buzz cut will not look good IMO - the autopilot assumes u intend to grow to reach the sweet spot - if the color contrast is strong and the native hair perishes. It looks great with diffuse balding however u r then messing with shock loss too.

I've noticed when watching Dr.Lorenzo videos in his youtube channel that the recipient area ( mainly hairline) after 10 or more months since having the procedure that the recipient area still reddish/pinkish !!

I mean if you had FUE and you wanted to shave your head for whatever reason, the recipient area is very red and unatural. Why is that ? it supposed to heal after all these months since the procedure.

Could anyone explain the reason behind this ? why the skin can't heal ??