Generic Rogaine Foam is Now Available in Stores

TakingThePlunge

At long last, Perrigo Company announced earlier this month that they have launched a generic alternative to Rogaine Foam.

See, Generic Rogaine Foam (5% Minoxidil) Offers Affordable Alternative Hair Loss Treatment

Also, view it on Hub Pages at "Generic Rogaine Foam for Hair Loss: It's Finally Here"

At this time, it appears that the new 5% minoxidil foam is only available at a select few retailers but look for more stores to add the product to their shelves in the coming weeks under a variety of brand names.

Last year we announced on our Hair Loss Q&A Blog that Perrigo had won FDA approval to begin producing the generic foam and that it planned to release the product in March of this year. Looks like they made good on that promise!

See, FDA Approves Generic Rogaine Foam (5% Minoxidil) by Perrigo for Hair Loss

Anyone trying the new generic foam is encouraged to post their comments to this thread.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Should be good to see more competitors to rogaine hopefully the generics wont break and stop foaming like rogaines does.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

BadBeat,

I have not found any price quotes online yet and still need to get to Walmart for a price check. Hopefully someone will beat me to it.

Dutch,

Here in the US the best price you can find without a special is probably Costco. It runs about $48 for 4 bottles. I wouldn't call that cost prohibitive but, when you compare it to Kirkland liquid at around $17 for a 6 month supply it starts to look expensive.

I'm expecting the new generic foam to fall somewhere in between and probably fall in price over time. I

I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

I believe someone told me that the ingredients in the new generic Rogaine foam aren't identical to Rogaine foam. In fact, I heard rumors that it contains propylene glycol, which is the scalp burning irritant found in the liquid. Can anyone confirm this? It doesn't appear on the list of ingredients in Dave's article. I will do some digging to see what I can find.

Best wishes,

Bill

BadBeat,

I have not found any price quotes online yet and still need to get to Walmart for a price check. Hopefully someone will beat me to it.

Dutch,

Here in the US the best price you can find without a special is probably Costco. It runs about $48 for 4 bottles. I wouldn't call that cost prohibitive but, when you compare it to Kirkland liquid at around $17 for a 6 month supply it starts to look expensive.

I'm expecting the new generic foam to fall somewhere in between and probably fall in price over time. I

I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

hmm sounds interesting, where do you find kirkland liquid for 17 for 6 month???

• 2 months later...

This is actually bad news. Kirkland has discontinued the liquid which was an amazing deal... 6 bottles for $17.99. You may be able to still find it but once a store is out of stock that is it. All Costcos now have the generic Rogaine foam but it is about $48 for 6 bottles... almost triple the cost of the liquid!

I just bought my first pack of Kirkland Foam today. I won't get a chance to use it for a while since I've still got a little Rogaine left but I'm looking forward to trying it out. $8 per bottle!

Bet it doesn't dry as fast as rogaine foam.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

bonkerstonker,

I'll let you know my experience when I get around to trying it. Why do you think it won't dry as fast?

scottod,

I've got 5 new bottles of Kirkland liquid with an expiration date of 08/2014. You can have them for the cost of shipping if you want them. I don't see myself going back to liquid.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using my Kirkland Foam this week. It's only been a couple of days but I can offer the following observations.

1. The foam dries just as quickly as Rogaine did in my opinion.
  2. Though the bottle is identical in shape to Rogaine Foam, it is a PIA to dispense. At first, I thought that it had some sort of seal or lock when I attempted to depress the button and dispense the foam. I was pressing pretty hard and nothing. I finally realized that it needed a lot of pressure to eject the foam. I thought the bottle may have been broken so I tried a second one and it was the same. Not enjoying that at all. I don't know if this applies to other branded generics like Walgreen's and Walmart brands but I would imagine they are all produced the same.

Very interesting David. Reason why I thought it wouldn't dry fast is Kirkland have never been interested in quick drying minoxidil so the way this is made in foam form must automatically dry faster than liquid solution.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

• 11 months later...