21 year old considering a HT

Over the years my hair has been taking a turn for the worst. My hair has been thinning gradually since i was 15. Every male member on both my parents sides are all bald/balding. So its inevitable its going to happen to me. I'm currently on rogaine foam and niz shampoo. I was considering propecia but the side effects have scarred me away.

Im considering a hair transplant but based on the pics posted, is my hair loss to aggressive to even consider an HT? What about my age? Does a 21 year old have any bussines with an HT? Ive booked a consultation with Dr. Rahal in june and see what his opinion is. Many thanks folks!

Anyways, heres the pics,

photo.JPG.21a851a86cfafbbddac8a82de1c7c975.JPG

photo(2).JPG.1199cf89d97ef567fbfb093cc7f63006.JPG

photo(1).JPG.50e00ada9a2e1825b8a3fe9d5a5e621f.JPG

Seeing a professional like Rahal is the best thing you can do and they will offer better advice than any of us can.

Generally speaking early twenties is too young to consider a HT, especially if you're not on propecia. Dr. Rahal will almost certainly recommend you get on that drug; if you're unwilling that's your choice of course, but it would be very unlikely a doctor would consider a HT at such a young age unless there was evidence your hairloss had stabilised, which it is very unlikely would not happen soon without medication.

If you're unwilling to use propecia or find side effects to be a problem the other alternative is to maybe wait for a few more years and see where your hairloss ends up. If it appears to stabilise at some point in the future due to natural genetics then maybe a HT could be considered, but that would be very dependent upon things like how bald you were, available donor etc.

As you probably know those who bald young and aggressively tend to end up with a larger balding pattern (though this is not always true). To that extent your options may be relatively limited but again, a doctor like Rahal will be best placed to answer this.

Ultimately though I would say a HT would be difficult for you at the moment, especially without meds. Finasteride is generally safe though as someone who suffered side effects myself (temporary) I do understand your concerns. I would still suggest giving it a go though, as will any hair doctors you visit I reckon. It's your best chance at your age to stall your hairloss and, maybe then, a doctor could consider if a HT might be suitable.

Dr. Rahal is a great doctor; his advice will be very useful indeed.

I love Dr Rahal, he did my surgery as well...just my prediction, I don't think you are gonna be a very good candidate with the family history and what appears to be an aggressive loss for so young...I would definitely consider propecia as it will certainly help...

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Over the years my hair has been taking a turn for the worst. My hair has been thinning gradually since i was 15. Every male member on both my parents sides are all bald/balding. So its inevitable its going to happen to me. I'm currently on rogaine foam and niz shampoo. I was considering propecia but the side effects have scarred me away.

Im considering a hair transplant but based on the pics posted, is my hair loss to aggressive to even consider an HT? What about my age? Does a 21 year old have any bussines with an HT? Ive booked a consultation with Dr. Rahal in june and see what his opinion is. Many thanks folks!

Anyways, heres the pics,

Hi this is Michael,

Mate, just want to share some thoughts with you. Clearly, you are aware that your hair loss is advanced fairly young and that you have a strong genetic predisposition for it as well. I recommend strongly for early intervention. We have high success with young people at US Hair Restoration Centers throughout California. It would be great to see a picture of your donor area [back of head] as well.

I do suggest if you are not near one of our offices; consider having a virtual consult or sending the correct pics in via our online service form. I really understand the importance of self image and it how much it can mean to have it improved with hair restoration. Please, let us know if we can help you in this decision no matter who you do the surgery with.

Our medical director Parsa Mohebi, MD is just awesome and really cares about our family of patients and we would welcome you. If you have any questions just write back and do my best to share my knowledge with you.

All the Best, Michael James

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

I started balding around 16/17 & didn't have surgery until over a decade later, but it doesn't mean you have to wait many years & suffer. I think you may get told to wait 4-5 years before surgery & in the meantime to stay on meds. Give a small dose of propecia a go & see how you go.

This is the problem with the people who cry about fin sides. This young man needed/needs to be on fin but is scared away by the 5% of people who got sides. Despite not getting them himself.

More to the point - get on proscar, and perhaps even get on dut. If you're serious about hair loss, you need to be taking this stuff.

Anyways, you're a young guy at student age, maybe decreased libido is not a bad thing. :)

I started balding around 16/17 & didn't have surgery until over a decade later, but it doesn't mean you have to wait many years & suffer. I think you may get told to wait 4-5 years before surgery & in the meantime to stay on meds. Give a small dose of propecia a go & see how you go.

Hey out of curiosity, do you have a weblog showing your HT? Just curious (I'm also another young guy like the OP).