propecia (finaseride in a 1mg tablet) or proscar (finasteride 5mg)

Raj Jayukdht

I have been talking to a member on this forum room about me starting propecia and he has advice me to buy proscar finasteride in a 5mg tablet and than cut the 5mg proscar in to 5 pieces then I will have 5 1mg propecia tablets, this is because people cut the proscar into 5 because proscar and propecia are the same price so you get five times as much for your money with proscar.

He also advised me to buy the proscar tablets made by Merk and not to buy generic proscar.

I would like to thank the forum member :):D for his advice and I was wondering what other members of this site thought of propecia and proscar.

I have also been told by a clinic “The 5mg of Finasteride in Proscar is not evenly distributed throughout the tablet. Therefore if you were to cut this into five pieces you may get 5mg in one piece and nothing in the other four pieces. You would get the drug in your system one day but not the other four days.”

im not sure about that too!!

i cut my fin 5mg tablets into 4 pieces (1.25mg) to difficult to cut into 5 pieces, tho have been looking at finpecia as comes in 1mg tablets, but am sure these would cost alot more than what i pay at the mo.

6 HTs !!

around 7690g!!

Good luck trying to cut a 5mg tab into 5 equal pieces!! That is very difficult to do. You can always cut it into quarters and then shave a little off of each piece to approximate 1mg.

I have also heard that the medication might not be equally distributed throughout the pill... so in one quarter you may get it all and in another quarter you may not get any. This is a question a pharmacist might be able to answer if they are familiar with the manufacturing process that is used.

So Spex you have stopped taking Proscar and starting taking finpecia...apart from being a 1mg tablet, is finpecia better, you got any better results.

If I was going to buy the proscar tablets, is it best to buy the tablets made buy Merk or buy generic proscar. Are generic tablets just as good as Merk tablets?

Also before I purchase months supply of proscar or propecia, where can I get 1 or 2 months supply, as Im wondering if I will get any side effects?

Cutting Proscar is what i used to do before i saved the hassle - never had an issue cutting it but must admit 1mg finpecia saves the ball ache.

How can you get 5mg into 1mg :confused: One for Sir Isaac Newton... its not physically possible ?

Best

SPEX

Hey Spex,

so hows the finpecia working out for you??

i may try this when my fin runs out, just recently got some more...i payed ?5.50 via a private prescription form my local GP for a 28pack of 5mg finasteride(very cheap)

where do you get your finpecia from and the cost??

Edited by dazza uk

6 HTs !!

around 7690g!!

The reason why i recommended merck to you was i've heard a few stories of people switching to legit generic finasteride from a chemist and have lost a lot of hair that they had stabelized for many years before when using mercks finasteride, i personally read this thread below and realized that my sudden loss of stabelized hair was around the same time i switched to generic finasteride as i told you before for me it's not worth the risk to save a few pounds but you do what you wish i just thought you should know as you were asking me what i knew about finasteride. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160328-psa-beware-generic-proscar.html

Just to add once i switched back to merck from generic my loss stabelized again but the damage to my hairline was too much to claw back.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Yes no problem, the reason why I'm such a skeptic is my loss whilst on generics happened to me before I found that thread and it all seemed to make perfect sense in my situation as I was looking for a reason why I would suddenly lose hair that I'd kept for so many years when I looked back and checked the dates of my loss and and generic use they were around the same time.

With regards to Merck proscar not being evenly distributed I find it highly unlikely as the size of the pill is approximately the same size as a propecia tablet therefore they would be no need to fill the tablet out with extra parts it's more likely propecia has some extra inactive parts to fill that tablet out. Anyway Merck in the uk are extremely helpful I've rung them many times with questions they are so helpful you can ring them with serial numbers and expiry dates and they'll tell you if the tablets are legit if you bought them from a weary source on the web. If anyone's that bothered just ring them they'll tell you about the contents of proscar I personally aren't bothered as I've been using merck over ten years with no problems.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk